1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098sf V 1098 Superbike

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doogalman, Jan 18, 2015.

1. @chisel you will now get a notification where you are needed :upyeah:

2. fanny :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nob

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. I do like a good down vote ;)

5. so do the Scottish

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Are the sf cams different to the sb?

7. re the op's question and what we have deduced so far do you have anything to add? as in giving the fact the air box must change for the transplant (of which you've done a couple) can you see any pros/cons in sf v sb engine?

8. From what I read the SF engine uses the 1198 cases making it lighter.
    Personally I wouldn't touch an early (07/08) SBK engine as they appear very fragile, if it isn't the sprag/starter gear it's the bearings.
    IIRC the cams are different, you can check the part numbers on line.
    If you try and flash the ecu with a SF map and use the SPK dash and loom it wont fire up. Something to do with the pin-out on the ecu to start button (maybe able to mod the loom?). So you'll need the SF loom/dash/keys and probs switch gear.
    I'm using a SF engine and a 1098 SBK fuel map with loom/dash etc.
    The fueling isn't perfect, it was a bit boggy to start with which I've managed to sort with some fiddling with the air-screws and basic (very) fueling.
    I would pick the SF engine over the SBK one every time as a later iteration of the beastie.
    Yup - you have to butcher/fab an new air box no matter what motor you decide on.

#31 Nelson, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. You'll be getting a lot of messages from me soon then :p

I had a look at the parts numbers books the other night. Couple of small differences between the two, but nothing major. So as far as I can tell they're the same engine.

Also I don't know why that weblink says they have different airboxes. The ducati books say the 1098 sf and 1098 sbk have the same ones. Only different on the 1098 r...

10. I think the airbox difference might be just down the inlet ducts - length and shape, which are different on the SF because there's no fairing to hide them in. If you do a search on Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum there are a several SF induction threads. Opinion seems to be that the shorter length of duct alters airbox pressure and that there is a flow restriction where the ducts enter the box on the SF which the EVR carbon box is supposed to eliminate. How much of this amounts to dancing on the head of a pin, I don't know. A carbon box is a fabulously expensive way to gain less than 5 BHP. There is one guy (I did search but I can't find the thread), an aftermarket parts dealer who modded his SF as a sort of experimental rolling advert to try and get 200 bhp and 100lb/ft of torque (if memory serves) from it. He has tried every conceivable mod and fitting a carbon box and extra long ducts gained him about 2bhp.
    Personally I have a feeling the SF exhaust system (the link pipe whatever the cans used) is more to blame for the bhp discrepancy than the airbox. I like the look and the sound of the system with twin Termis but I'm not convinced the snakey 2-2 system isn't a case of style over function. I'm sure it could be bettered. But any more experimenting for me means yet another £400 remap, so I'm not going there.
    Yet..

11. I have a set of TB's, airbox and injectors for sale :)

12. Would that be a desmo-evo conversion airbox N?

13. As far as I'm aware a bespoke item for the conversion doesn't exist at this time.
    An American chap did have some made in ABS ~2 years ago, it was rumored some more would become available, but so far nothing has come of it.
    It really isn't that difficult to make your own, I've done a few , if I can do it anyone can! They ain't too pretty, but they work.
    What I have for sale is;
    For Sale - 1098 848 Sf Throttle Bodies, Air Box + Injectors. | Ducati Forum

14. Many thanks for all the ifo i will pass it all on.

15. Well,
    Might saved me ton time and money with that quote, Been having a very stupid and mad thought of building a 1098SF With 1098R superstocker in it and underseat system.

Always loved the look of the 1098SF and the Hypermotard for that matter.

16. Is the best option not to buy a 1098S Streetfighter and start from there? They are pretty awesome bikes out of the box.

17. Well,
    Yes that is true, but an idiot like me, loves to do/try something different ;)
    Proof of this is in the ton of bits and 2 unfinished projects from many,many years ago, still sat in the sheds :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information