1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1100 Evo Sp Broken Engine

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Rydr216, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Ok so bad news, my evo sp has gone bad in a big way. I'm not hugely technical but my mechanic has said the main bearing has seized and the reulting strain has snaped the crankshaft!!!! It only has 5k on the clock so god knows whats happened.
    Anyway I now need to get it back on the road and am debating rebuilding the existing engine or buying another engine to just replace. Does the hypermotard 1100 share a bottom end with any other model that i could use? Either way it's going to be an expensive start to the year but I love the bike so want to get it back on the road rather than break it although if I can get decent money for all of the bits it may be an option!
    Any advice will be a great help

2. That's bad news indeed.
    I believe that the Monster M1100 has the same engine but not 100% sure.
    Probably cheaper to fit a second hand motor.

3. Bottom end from any of the 1100 or 1000 air cooled, Hyper, Multi or Monster is the same, cheapest quickest and easiest way out for you is buy a full motor, unfortunately they are not easy to find

If you do decide to break it ...or indeed if you find a complete motor I'm interested in buying your old one

#3 Kato, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. Your not far away from me (Bristol) id say check with Rich at Louigi moto's (about 15 mins from my place) as i saw a set of crank cases from a hyper that had just been blasted (the last time i was there) - i dont think the engine had a bike to go into....he's the best person to advise i would say...also if you can get the engine out and to him it would make the whole job a lot easier (if you went down the rebuild route.....also, i know money is always an issue but how much of an issue - the reason i say is you could use it to your advantage....ie if your keeping the bike then maybe while its being rebuilt have it blue printed - get the cases and barrels coated properly....that kind of thing...

5. The EVO has a wet clutch

6. Nope - not on the hyper. The evo tag for the hyper denotes engine enhancements like lighter flywheel etc etc - the 848 evo for example has the wet clutch.

7. But the EVO motor you linked to is from a Monster and it has a wet clutch!!

8. Not me - didnt link to anything - all 1100 hypermotards are dry clutch. 796, 821's and 939's are wet. The 1100s motor is essentially the same as the 1100 evo sp motor apart for the small enhancements.

9. Apologies was indeed not your link and I agree with all your info, was just pointing out difference with the 2 links posted in #5

10. Thanks all
    I spoke with rich today and he doesn't have an engine but said the best thing is to put in a donor engine rather than repair what I have.
    What happens now as the engine and frame numbers won't match do I need to inform dvla or hpi or someone so it doesn't look dodgy IF i ever sell it?

11. Yep... Standard thing... Update the v5

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

12. Get your bike sorted first then worry about the V5, there is no obligation for you to change the engine number but as you have suggested it would look better if you were selling. Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle :)

13. Alternatively (just to try and help....) obviously its only the bottom end thats gone...so, youve got a good top end there so, if you were strapped you "could" get a bottom end and mate your top end to that....i think no matter what it would be a good thing - while the engine is out to get some form of good coating on it at ducati coatings for want of a better phrase...fucking sucks ass...

14. Quickly skimmed the thread, is the Monster S4RS engine the same (apart from capacity), as i have one of those sitting here?

If not will it fit?

15. No.
    S4RS is 4v watercooled.

16. I thought the monster 1100evo was identical apart from wet clutch, correct me if wrong. Personally this would be the best ever motor from Bologna. All the grunt without the shit clutch...

17. Hi all
    Still don't have the engine sorted but want to push on now. Does the 1100 bottom end in the hypermotard feature in any other Ducati engine?
    Cheers

18. There's an evo sp engine in the States on ebay... Well there was last week...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

19. Most sellers over there will adjust the paperwork so your tax is minimal...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information