1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 - Flipping The Full Beam Bucket

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pavey, Dec 23, 2016.

1. I think @Bob T is the man for this.

I wish to turn the full beam headlight bucket upside down so it just becomes another main beam headlight - never use the full beam.

What do I have to do to do this, does it involve taking the screen and nose cone off? I presume I would have to turn it back again at MOT time.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The headlights are a single unit. any change to the main beam would involve opening the unit.

3. The main beam lamp has no internal shield. It will make no difference to the beam whichever way up it is. The main beam direction is not part of the MOT, it only has to light up.
    If you are referring to the dip beam unit, it has an internal shield to create the dip cut-off. If it is turned upside down the internal shield would need to be inverted to keep it legal, or removed if you are using it as a main beam unit.

4. Interesting, maybe it changed on the 1198, don't know. I did hear that Ducati changed the design on the later 1098 so probably the 1198 as well.

On mine when I upgraded to Hid, both lenses had shields in them which were held in place by screws.

Later they became fixed and could not be removed (without radical surgery). When I converted mine there was a good bit of debate about removing the dip beam shield, some did, some didn't.

I only removed the Hi Beam shield and it was a sod to get at. It would be pretty difficult to re-instate, hence the vacillation on the dip.

Could have all changed again later though........no clue

5. I'm not familiar with that particular lamp, so maybe it does have a shield but god knows what for. As I said above the high beam pattern is of no consequence for an MOT.

6. I'll be honest and admit i'm a bit confused now. I seem to remember Bob saying the part that holds the bulb could be turned upside down in order to have two main beams - i'll have a look at the actual bike over Christmas and try and make sense of it, to my tiny brain. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information