1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198s Cutting Out...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by AndrewS, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Hello

I have an 1198S, pretty much standard except for slash-cut Termis with appropriate ECU/filter. Recently it has started cutting out, not very often but usually at the wrong time! It happens when I stop at a junction, pull in the clutch and wait to pull out. Sometimes after a few seconds it will just die. I also can't start the bike again until I put it in neutral - I thought it should start with the clutch pulled in even if it's in gear? The bike has just been serviced by Ducati Norwich, who didn't find anything wrong (it was cutting out beforethe service as well).

Any thoughts?

TIA

Andrew

2. did they reset the throttle postion sensor??

3. I had something similar but it was when the bike was very warm which I never got to the bottom of and just put it down to the character that is Ducati ownership, strangely the battery packed up a few months later and it never did it again, also mine would only start in neutral

4. I believe they did, although the problem occurs just as often before and after the service.

5. Yes, the service chap at DN said "they don't like being left idling", which wasn't very helpful!

I was wondering whether there might be an issue with either the sidestand switch or with the micro-switch at the clutch lever (I think there is one there, to allow starting with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in, which the owners Manual says is possible)?

6. my 999 wouldn't start in gear with clutch in. Turns out the little metal pokey bit under the clutch that moved the switch was missing. I only spotted when fitting new levers.

7. was it a full or basic service? Plugs? Fuel filter?

8. The belts were done at the last service so I guess this one was a basic service?

9. belts are done on age. Fuel filter and plugs may not have been done. What does the invoice say?

10. Should definitely start with the clutch pulled in whilst in gear. The micro switch may be buggered/disconnected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Just checked the invoice, and now I don't think they did adjust the TPS (I assume this would be "throttle sinchronisation (sp) and idle"?).

12. Just looked at the invoice - changed oil and filter, cleaned air filter, checked and lubricated things was about it. No fuel filter or plugs or (I think) TPS adjustment.

However... The bike rides OK and idles OK (until it dies!). Doesn't this suggest something electrical? I found this schematic in a post by Shazaam on another Forum - I can see how the clutch microswitch being dicky could lead to the bike not starting in gear with the clutch pulled in, but could it cause the engine to suddenly stop? All a bit confusing (to me).

upload_2017-2-3_19-27-24.png

13. I think @comfysofa was having a similar issues recently, not sure if he got it sorted.

@matt75racing post suggests dodgy battery.

Maybe check and clean all your terminals and connectors.

Plugs are cheap and easy.

Fuel filter pretty cheap and pretty easy.

What's the starting like?

14. Try to help if I can.... Ive only ridden it once since it came back from the dyno but it feels a million times better.... Apparently the balance was out on the tb's.... Essentially I added the air pods which threw everything out.... I didnt think it would make that much difference but it did.... May yet not be the issue though as I need to ride it more...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

15. Sounds intermittent which is the worst type of problem. Side stand switch and clutch switch cleaned and resistance checked should eliminate or confirm one of those as the simplest place to start. Andy

16. Chris at louigi said it could be the fuel filter.... He said lots claim to change it every service but don't.... Ive got one on order...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information