1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 1199 Is It For Me?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by bakes0310, Mar 18, 2017.

1. I was in my local ducati dealership today having a tyre put on my tiger 800xc. And as you do you have a gander and look at some nice bikes. Anyway i saw a rather affordable PCP deal on a 1199 2013 with 5500 miles on it. Ive never done PCP or any finance before but i think it might be for me, i would trade it in every 3 years and replace it with something similar.
    Anyway my question is, do you think the bike is for me? My bike is my only mode of transport so i ride it everywhere. I also ride with a backpack on and when i get off i usually put stuff in my top box like my helmet and other bits and pieces. But thinking about it, i could just carry my helmet and leave it in work or walk around with it when out shopping.
    Also my partner likes to go on the back during the summer now and again. And theres no way she could get on the back or would on a 1199.
    And i forgot to ask about warranty, im guessing if its a 13" it wont have any. But i see they sell extended warranty on bikes in the dealership and im wondering if i could be entitled to that. As ideally i would have it in warranty during the 3 years i would own it.

2. You could do it yes, Personally don't think it'll be a great move for a multitude of reasons.

The 1199 is very peaky and none of the panigales are great at low speeds or around town. Heavy clutch, sharp brakes, leant over, gets hot etc. They are in my honest opinion one of the most physical bikes you can ride.

The pillion seat is very uncomfortable. Many say the panigales in general aren't good for distances.

If you're leaving it outside in the elements or riding it in shit weather it will corrode, they're not really meant for that. Yes you could do it but It's basically a race bike with headlights after all not a BMW GS. It's an Italian exotic.

Not only that they're a thiefs wet dream so leaving it anywhere isn't ideal.

Fuel tank range isn't the best.

I'm sure others will come along and say it's fine but I think you'd have to sacrifice a hell of a lot personally. And in the end your shiny panigale will probably end up looking pretty sorry for itself.

#2 Advikaz, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks, makes sense really. I do like the multistrada 950 and i should imagine that's more for me isn't it?

4. Guess it depends what you want mate. The multi is vastly different to a panigale but it's certainly sounding more the type of bike for what you intend to use it for.

If it was me I'd probably go for the bigger multi though. It's a big bike for a 950..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I agree, or the new supersport may be a good compromise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Are you Charlie Boorman?

What do I win?

#6 jamie_niall, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2017
  7. I would say not given how you ride. A Multistrada or the new Super Sport would be more suited to your needs I think.

#7 El Toro, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information