1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R 1200r Mods Advice

Discussion in 'Monster' started by flatairbag, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Hi, I'm keen on owner advice to customise my new 1200r:

- Tail tidy: (I've looked at evotech, are there different models for the 1200r?).. In the UK with our beefy plate.

- Slipons: (termis at 1300??? Seems silly money compared to alternative SCProject / Arrow etc prices. Do these termis come with a fuel map/key or just slipons with existing mapping?) And are they really that much better than the comp or ? I've always had termis on my other ducatis but think I'm a bit brainwashed by the relationship of brands and just wonder if they worth it this time around.

- Tank knee grips: used stomp grip in past but its most often peeled off or been a pr%#^ to fit, mind you the bikes were a 916-998 with a few different tank angles going on)

- Tank rear protector (clear)

- iPhone 6S mount/case so I can fit/remove a phone for a sat Nav.

- radiator/ oil guards (I've seen evotech bundle with an engine guard as well.. The radiators well worth it but is thee gone guard really needed?

Many thanks for the info.

2. I put an evotech tail tidy, engine and exhaust hanger on mine. I have evotech oil and radiator guards to fit. I don't feel the burning sense of urgency to fit them but will get round to it.

I had a few bits from R&G including exhaust hanger but think the Evotech stuff is better for the Monster 1200R.

Btw I have a brand new R&G exhaust hanger still in its box. You can have it for £20 with postage on top if interested. I've also got the blanking plate, sold separately, I've fitted that but it's still in A1 condition. You can have that for free if you wanted the hanger.

I'll stick Termi's on mine when I get round to it. I'm dull in that I will only have Termi's on my Ducati's. They come with ecu and air filter.

I never out stomp grips on my bikes, I don't like the appearance and don't ride on track. I got a ventureshield kit for the tank, fitted the centre panel then immediately removed it, didnt like how it looked. I have the side panels, new and unused if interested? You can have them for £10 with postage on top.

#2 nothingfaced, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. Evotech over R&G every time. Always feel a bit disappointed with R&G, Evotech stuff always looks the dog's. Stick a 7X5 plate on it. Behave yourself and it won't attract unwelcome attention. Keep the standard plate for MOTs when they eventually come round.
    I don't like stomp grips either. Looks like a 1970s plastic shower mat. I don't think you need them for road riding, especially on a naked roadster. Quality leathers that are soft and grippy and not stiff and shiny are more important.
    There's the Austin Racing exhaust option. 2014 - 2016 821 & 1200 MONSTER R/S - Austin Racing
    It will need a remap and I doubt it will come with a second ECU like the Termis do and I guarantee it'll be booming loud. But AR stuff is very good quality and it is half the price.
    Trouble is, if its a new bike a non Ducati-approved decat system and a custom map will definitely invalidate your warranty unless you buy a second ECU to write the custom map onto so you can quickly restore the bike to stock in the event of a warranty claim. They've got you by the danglies which is why the cost of approved systems is through the roof. £1300 just for slip-ons is plain naughty.

4. So far I have....
    • Evotech tailtidy
    • 7x5 plate, but it looks a bit naughty for me so may try an 8x6
    • Front and rear axle Evotech crash bungs
    • Radiator protection plus engine guard Evotech
    • SC Project Oval slip on - no remap needed deffo not running lean, EU approved certificate and removable baffles for the track.
    • Evotech exhaust hanger, rear rests removed
    • Removed orange reflectors on forks light fishing line and WD40 to remove glue
    • Mounted GPS on handlebars using RAM mount and spare socket under tank
    • Evotech Frame protector, bloody expensive but could save some grief in the future.
    Will look at Venture shield next year, already got a stone chip on the tank.

[​IMG]

5. Yeah - I've ridden with 7x5 plates for years and never had any issues, just don't draw attention to yourself. I don't have the rear plate reflector either.

6. I've got one of these:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. I was going to comment on your awesome looking motorcycle.. and the penny dropped ive just wheeled one into my garage! :grinning::grinning::grinning: Shes just turned over 20miles now... better do something about that this week as the weather looks good.

Ducati should really supply you with two rear sub-frames or seat setup from new for the R model.... I know Aprilia were offering this dual seat configuration as part of a Tuono package.
    As it stands, you got rear pillion footrests in place but where do they sit? Not that I want them to sit anywhere on my bike... but why put the footrests on if not a seat?

@MarkF what sat nav hold do you use? Ive an iPhone 6S I want to hook up.

8. Slip of the seat cowl, the pillion seat is under there.

First thing I did was get an exhaust hanger and remove the rear pegs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks... Haha, I am an official knob! Just looked at the bike after work and noticed that!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm just pleased they made the rear pegs simple to remove. I had a bastard of a time getting them off my 1098 Streetfighter.

Enjoy the new bike though - there's nothing like fresh metal. I'm still loving the tits out of mine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cheers mate. I've had many bikes but this the first new one so buzzing.
    Where did you get your exhaust hanger from?

12. Stick your smartphone in your inside pocket and use earphones for directions.
    You never need to take your eyes off the road and
    your not turning R into a skyhook ;)

13. I have Evo tech tail tidy, Evo tech exhaust hanger and blank plate, Termis, smaller number plate, Italian flag reflector. Ducati performance tank pad, Ducati master cylinder covers, Evo tech radiator guards. The only other things I might change are the mirrors, which aren't the best, I'm used to bar end mirrors which I have on my 97 Yamaha XJR 1200 and had on my Hypermotard 1100 S.

14. Here's mine r&g tail tidy ducapart and Leob carbon termi,s IMG_0974.JPG

15. IMG_3243.JPG With carbon on

Do Not Sell My Personal Information