1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200r Quickshifter

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Pav438, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Is Flappy Paddling what I do in a canoe?

2. Depends on your technique...

3. Think about it this way when you do clutchless upshifts now I bet you are closing the throttle. Now with a quick shifter you dont close the throttle so the bike does not pitch forward and back as you change gear. I used to think why would you need one on a road bike until my 1198 came standard with one. I notice it most when you are hard on the gas changing up going around a corner going uphill the bike does not get unsettled like it would opening and closing the throttle

4. Hmmm, I see... Definitely something of benefit for race conditions then. Shifting, perhaps, remains one of those skills where when you get it wrong you feel like a chump... but when you hook up the gear perfectly with a lightning-fast blip of the throttle and a precise flick at the ankle it's supremely satisfying. A bit like a PDK box in a 911 I guess, a QS flatters the rider and offers a different experience to the traditional way of processing 'changes?

If you get your 'change spot on, and not saying that it happens every time, then the manual part-closure of the throttle and the clutchless upshift don't really pitch the bike either, and the drive is as constant as the QS can be? My understanding is that the action of shifting activates an electronic cut in the fuelling, even if the right wrist maintains throttle. Is that correct? In which case a QS is not really increasing the speed of the shift, rather it is automating the otherwise manually required throttle manipulation that would allow a smooth clutchless upshift? Makes me wonder if there are kits that shorten the throw also? Perhaps a QS kit includes this? More homework required for me!

5. Hi mate,

No problem with false neutral with your Healtech ? i'v got a SP electronics on mine and sometimes i have false neutral :/

Thanks.

6. I had a quick shifter on my 2014 Tuono, it was a fun to have but hardly a necessity for the road. Screaming out that V4 and blatting up the box was pretty grin-inducing but also very license threatening.

The Monster 1200R should have come with one.

I understand Ducati have one in the accessories - if that was fitted by a dealer would that invalidate any warranty?

7. None so far, I'm very happy. There are some good QS comparisons on YTube not least of all user "lamb chop rides" who has used the three most popular shifters available all on the same bike.
    here you go.

8. Thanks ScaryMonster ! Do you have the references of your Translogic ? Mine is not so bad but I think i will test the Translogic to compare :hearteyes:

9. I'm at work so I can't give you the part number but it is listed by Translogic as the Monster 1200, 4 sparkplug models, 2014 onwards Hope that helps you.

10. All good points, for the money and the market competition.. the monster R should defo have come with a quickshifter.

However, it just begs you to practice your MotoGP takeoffs and so for road duties if I had one it would defo raise my chances of getting nick'd.

I wouldnt be surprised if Ducati do fit one in the next revamp. Would be nice to have something that ties in with the warranty.

11. At the 2016 NEC show, where they had the new 2017 Monster S, which HAS got a Q/S, I had a bellyache about the R not being equipped with one. They told me they were testing one for the R and it would be available soon. That was November, it's now March and I see no sign of it!?

12. Go for the Translogic ! He is Perfect.

13. Curious to know if the Translogic QS works with both up and down shifts?

14. What quick shifters are you guys running now? Looking to fit one, preferably up and down shift

15. I have a 1200R and being a bit of an oldie I’ve never felt the need for a quick shifter on the road. I currently have Moto Rapido’s 1200S demo while mine is in for warranty so a good chance to see what the QS is all about.

Seems to work fine going up the box while “giving it some berries” but other than that I really can’t see the point on the road. My 12R will clutchless shift going up the box and I use the clutch coming down, it not that much effort after all.

Is the 12S quicker for having a QS than the R? Nope!

• Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  16. You're assuming the bike is only used on the road

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Which is why I said as such! I’ve no intention of trackdaying mine

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. That’s good to know and thanks!! I’ve sold my 1200R now and got an FE arriving in about 10 days time, so I guess I’ll discover just how good they are!!? LOL

Do Not Sell My Personal Information