1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Trackday Tyres. What Do People Prefer....

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Lyndon, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Hi Guys.

Did Brands Yesterday and had a great time. however....
    I have been slowly turning the bike into Track purpose only and although only my second track day yesterday was all ready getting annoyed at having to do warm up laps every session on the Supercorsa SP and no tyre warmers.

Have booked to go to Cartagena in Feb and will get tyre warmers.

thinking of moving to the Supercorsa SC variants or some type of slick?

Just wondered what experience people have had moving onto the above

Thanks

Lyndon

2. A little early for slicks IMO, nothing wrong with SPs or SCs. I like Metzeler Racetech RRs but I'm a Metzeler man :D. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cheers for input, I liked the m7rr on my previous gsxr thought they were a great tyre, I like the sp too to be fair but read that not designed to be under tyre warmers.

But wear was good and even yesterday I thought
    IMG_3371.JPG

4. Nothing wrong with SP's but if it's track only with warmers I'd be tempted to buy the track specific ones in medium/hard compound

5. Looks like you got the pressure spot on. Someone should be along soon on the tyre warmer issue as I don't know. I use the Racetechs with warmers and for me, they're an awsome tyre. Andy

6. Although I'm going to try the BT slicks next year, cheap and loads of grip apparently. I run back end fast group these days.

7. Ok cheers so think that's the sc1/sc2

8. Nothing wrong with warmers on any tyre, as it simply stops the heat cycles. Can't do any harm

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pirelli man told me if it's cold you want soft front/hard rear and hot visa versa.

SC0 super soft to SC2 medium/hard

• Like Like x 1
  10. Went in at inters yesterday and seemed to be pressing on more than being overtaken but fast group looked another level Some chap on a 1299 was flying, something to aspire too in the future lots to learn

11. I'd massively recommend warmers just to make the tyre last. A supercorsa or metzeller that's done a track day without warmers is well past it's best and they drop off quite badly.
    I've always used the Pirellis but just started using dunlops on the R and they are so much better. Much more support keeps the bike on check on acceleration and braking. They don't seem to drop off at all like the Pirellis do. Even at the end of two hard days I'm putting in best laps still. Pirelli start to spin up after a day of use and I'm playing with fire using them for another day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Track tyres are designed to have a very few number of heat cycles, so don't work well without warners as they 'g off' after potentially a day (6 sessions if they don't get red hot). People buy these scrubs from BSB level racers and think they are doing the right thing...I'd never sell used track tyres to a road rider.

Road tyre are designed to have lots of heat cycles, but love heat like any tyres and have always used same pressures as equivalent track based tyre

13. Do you know if sc supercorsa are supposed to take any more heat cycles than the slicks? They feel very similar but the slicks are definitely noticeably better.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. Depends, proper slicks or the pro ones? I believe (may not be right) the compounds for slicks and SC are the same, and the SC Pro and slick Pro are the same, as you can run them without warmers

15. Thanks for feedback, i will probably order some of the SC variations as a step up from the sp and see how I go with them and warmers initially. Shame It's the end of the season

16. Euro trackday Feb/March, thats what you need ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hopefully a few other ducatis will join

• Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  18. You don't want to be getting involved with slicks unless you're properly at the sharp end of the fast group in my opinion.

No reason why you can't use road supercorsas with warmers, won't do any harm at all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. If you do not have warmers, I can highly recommend the Crescent own label ones. Not cheap at £190 a pair but IMO good value for the quality, size (up to a 200 width) and high "Capit" style spec. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  20. If you fancy slicks try the Superbike Pros (theres a melter one the same too) bit more grip than the Sc road tyres but last well and don't need to be mega quick to keep the heat in. And they last, I used a set for a day at cartagena and let my mate have them who did 3 race weekends on them on a 996

Do Not Sell My Personal Information