1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 191km/h Multistrada - Lowered Power Or Full Power?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Today I picked up my DVT Multi and I'm happy, of course. :innocent:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, I noticed I could 'only' reach a topspeed of 191km/h...on gps that is!
    When I did a testride back in October I reached 204 (221 on speedo) and had to back off..
    Now 191 is all I could get out of her...:neutral:

Is that normal?
    Big difference: I rode with the panniers, and on the testride last year I did not...
    Could that explain the 13km/h difference?

ALSO, on paper according to the official conformity papers, its a lowered down dvt with only 77kw instead of the stock 117 kw...
    But the previous owner assured me its full power.

All of this made me question if I do have the full powered Multi....
    And I feel kinda stupid to ask this, but I assume I'd feel such a huge difference between 100 and 160 hp, right? :blush:

2. hell, in this video the guy even reached 241km/h, on speedo not gps

and this dude got 251 on the speedo...

but I only managed 221 on speedo, on the testride

#2 Riko, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. The DVT (UK Model) has 4 riding modes 3 power options and 2 or 3 throttle responce options

So I suggest you have it set of full power and fast throttle responce in Sport or Touring Mode.

Then try again - for sure Panniers will add resistance and slow it down.

We do not get the restricted version - the standard 160 HP version is restricted enough!

Bike will easily do 150 mph indicated - 240 KPH

4. Yep bike will easily do 140+ mph but I wouldn do that with panniers or top box. Btw luggage can really reduce the speed.

But check what power setting you have it on. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lol bike was in sport mode of course.....

And what are all those options you talk about Simon Audi???
    Riding modes okay:
    - sport (160hp)
    - touring (160hp)
    - urban (100hp)
    - enduro (100hp)

4 preload options
    - rider only
    - rider + passenger
    - rider + bags
    - rider + passenger + bags

Some abs levels, tc levels and wheelie controll levels

But there are no throttle respons options seperate nor seperate power options.
    I think you mix those things as being seperatly adjustable with the riding modes.
    These things are automatically changes with the riding modes with sport mode being the snappiest in throttle respons and power....

Anyway, I'm gonna search a testbank to measure its rear wheel power..:)

6. Riding Mode
    upload_2017-4-29_7-33-4.png
    Engine Power Setting

High is 160 BHP - Fast Throttle
    Medium 160 BHP - Slow Throttle
    Low 100 BHP - Slow Throttle

These can all be set in each of the riding modes - so you can have sport with 100 BHP if you want

or Urban with 160 BHP and Fast Throttle

upload_2017-4-29_7-35-24.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. If you run it in instead of trying to get top speed on a new engine then it will probably end up being faster and more reliable in the long run.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Is it not run in? What a dick!

9. I dont wanna jump to that conclusion yet.

I just dunno, it was a demo bike....first 10.000km it was owned by the dealer itself used as a demo.
    Than the previous owner had it for about a year, only rode for about 1.000+ km on it.

It is a 77kw/100hp bike on paper from Ducati, so mabye it is still set at 100hp.
    Bikes sold in some countries can be powered down for fiscal reasons.
    In Belgium the difference between a 77kw bike and a 137kw is huge.
    Its about 70 euros or something to register a 77kw bike and about 1000 euro for a 137kw bike...:)

But the owner did tell me its a full power....
    But from the testride I thought the bike seemed somewhat tamed...

On the Dutch fb page they all say my bike is most likely set at 77kw.

The dealer did tell me its no problem to reset it to full power again, but have to get a code from Ducati to do this..
    So when I bring in the bike on tuesday they'll look into that...

I hope its 77kw, because if its a full power bike, I'd be worried, till then, I wont jump into conclusion.

There is a way to see if my bike is a full power bike by the Multistrada application?
    They told me on the Dutch fb page to use that app and I can see what power I have....dunno if thats correct.
    I dont think the app can tell the exact hp numbers, maybe the app only regconizes the so called riding modes.

I asked for a screenshot of the app with a picture showing the hp number of the bike, I'm still waiting for an answer...

10. If you really want to know how much power it makes take it to a dyno shop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The app gives you a HP for the ride based on your gear and speed - rather that a real HP figure

Only way to know actual HP is a Dyno.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. i contacted about 5 shops or more this morning, and nobody could accept a testrun TODAY, they either were understafed, fully booked, 1 hadn't experience with ducs, and one could do it, and it would cost me 50 euro...

I could go with him, but than again, since I have to bring in the bike on tuesday, I might as well wait till than, in case of a limitation, they can reset it back to full power.

I'll wait it out.
    Meanwhile I'll look into that app and the exhaust valve tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I don't wanna sound like a busted record but it ain't that stupid exhaust valve is it ? I ran my bike in to the letter exactly and it passes 150 mph with ease, in fact, i hit the rev limiter in 4th very recently and that was can indicated 143 mph.

• Like Like x 1
  14. It sounds to me like the OP is european and the country has a 100ho restriction, and he was told it was full power but may not be :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Exactly. This is a pre-DVT 1200 engine at Silverstone International, the speed is recorded with a 10Hz GPS so will be a lot more accurate than a usual GPS device, this was far from the top speed possible and was just before braking for a corner:

F9 Multi 238kmh.PNG

16. But everyone knows the DVT is slower ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Is it?? I dunno?

• Like Like x 1
  18. indeed, thats an option I hear, first thing tomorrow I'l look into that...not sure what a good operation is on idle, but I assume opening the throttle will open the valve and it closes as soon as you close the throttle?

although I can imagine its more complicated than that, and rolling speed, gear, rpm etc also could affect its operation

19. not quite :)
    I am European, Belgian to be exact, but we do not have a 100hp limitation here.

Its just a option, for fiscal reasons, and some manufactures offer it on their bikes.

Most that have a limited powered bike eventually make it full power in time or immediately after purchase :)

#19 Riko, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Not quite, the valve is open on idle, and starts to pull in as the rpm climbs, then starts to open again at higher revs, it is pulled in for 3-4000 rpm in total to make the bike quieter in the mid range, for in towns etc. But if it's sticking closed, you will struggle to get past 6-7000 rpm. It is quite obvious when riding if it's the exhaust valve, and if your bike is hitting approx 120 mph, then I suspect it may not be this valve, as when mine seized I struggled to break 85mph. If it is this valve, I would think yours is partially sticking and not fully closed as you still hit 120mph.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information