1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1995 900SS questions

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Humbug, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi - feel free to move this to the supersport section at some point.

Picked up my bike yesterday, and started a thread here in the welcome section:

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/f13/just-picked-up-900ss-936/

I have a few questions, the most worrying of which is first:

-It's been down on the right hand side. Not sure how heavily, but it's scratched the fairing in a few places and bent the upper fairing mount:

[​IMG]

The mount is what I'm most concerned about. Is it fixable, and if so, how complex is the job? Where would you recommend I take it? Not too worried about paint cosmetics, all the panels fit nicely and I can live with the scratches for now, though it may get a respray at some point.

-How long are you supposed to warm the engine from cold? The previous owner suggested five minutes, which in an underground garage wouldn't be that tolerable.

-I'm probably going to use an independant garage for routine stuff (tyres, chains), and a Ducati garage for any engine servicing. This sound sensible?

-Any good / bad reports of Rosso Corse in the East End?

-What's a good source of mail order parts? It needs a replacement fairing stay and I normally carry cables and brake/clutch levers as insurance.

-The mirrors don't stay put at motorway speed. I'm sure this is fixable, and I'd like to give it a go. Any good links?

-Finally, anyone got an owners manual for a '95 they don't want anymore?

I hope at some point to return the favour, my intention is to keep the bike a long time.

Thanks

Humbug

[​IMG]

2. From your photo I don't see much wrong with the fairing mount? "They are all like that" etc. With the fairing off you will be able to pull it into place with no drama if you are careful.

3. It's bent outwards, which puzzled me at first, as you'd expect the opposite. Maybe someone already tried straightening it, and went too far?

4. Howdo!!

Yep just try and straighten the bracket , not worth the pain and suffering of re-welding the plate. Anyway we call that character. Is it the headlight fairing bracket thats bent as well or do you just need the support that's in the pic? If it's the one in the pic I have a load, could send you one.

Cheers Pablo

5. I was going to recommend Rosso Corse on the basis of the first few questions, even before you got to them, directly. Widely recommended - and they'd take care of a good number of your questions, such as how best to deal with the mount, where to source parts etc. I'd check in with them and take it from there.

6. Another very good independant is Ducati Pro Team, in Strood, a little way out of London but worth the trip. It may even be worth giving Alec a call as he did offer free collection and delivery from London at one point.
    As for the mirrors, take them off and pull back the rubber cover. You'll see the fixing screws that tighten the ball socket up. Take it apart and roughen the ball with some abrasive paper and put it back together. Some people use a self taping screw for the same reason. Sorry if it's not a great explanation, bit it'll be clear when you look :upyeah:

7. All very helpful, thanks all!

8. If you take the mirrors apart as nuttynick says, you can tap the actual stem (M5, I think it was..) to take a countersunk cross head bolt (or machine screw, is that?).

Regarding the fairing mount....don't bother with it....just make sure the stub is at 90 degress to the frame.............the offset I can see there is only about 1.5mm.......the accuracy of fairing panels and the rest of the mounts are, shall we say, 'highly variable', so in the overall scheme of things it won't affect fitting of panels or be noticable.

Anyway........You will soon forget those little problems.....there will be plenty more for you to ask very shortly.......like, fuel warning light stays on or doesn't come on; how do you stop the sidestand flipping up?; neutral light plays up; fuel pump runs all the time; left side fork oil seal leaking; fuel filter blocked....etc etc etc.

AL

• Like Like x 1
  9. +1

My fairing mount plate isnt straight, but to be honest I'd forgotten about it?

You will soon have better stuff to worry about. :wink:

10. I would recommend Rosso Corse. They are genuinely very helpful and offered free technical help when I wanted to buy some cam belts rather than the ducati mechanic down my end who needs severe buttering up before even contemplating a friendly reply. I went in to get some spark plugs once and I felt like I had to take him out for a slap up meal before he would even acknowledge my question.

11. Thanks!

Some quick answers:

Fuel warning light works perfectly, and came on the other day at 120 miles
    Sidestand already modded to stay down (phew)
    Neutral light works perfectly, and the bike goes into neutral a lot easier than a 750SS I once rode, which preferred it to be selected before stopping.
    Fuel pump runs all the time - isn´t that normal? I can hear it as soon as the ignition is turned on, but not over the engine running.
    Forks hold their oil
    Fuel flows nicely, no starvation

One thing I did notice is a brief red flicker from the dash while accelerating hard on the motorway. Normal?

Cheers,

Humbug

12. Hi Humbug

re; the flickering dash light ..... was it the oil pressure light?

Check the oil level with the bike vertical .... if you've no paddock stand they're easy to hold upright and still see the level glass. Keep the oil topped right up leaving only a small air bubble showing at the top. Ignore the level mark on the case. Also worth running 20/50, especially in the summer. Rock Oil do a decent semi-synth in 20/50 as well as 10/40.

If the charge light starts to stay on at anything over tickover change the reg/rec fairly promptly .... Electrex do a decent replacement at not too much money.

Cheers mate

Grunt

13. Regarding mirrors SSie has the same problem so a no progress with progress :D

Rosso Corse guys are very good and plenty 2nd hand spare parts.

14. Aye, normal.

Not normal. As indiecourier says, start with the oil level - I too have always been advised to have it with a glimpse of air at the top of the window, ignoring the level. However the oil pressure switches are quite a common fail item.

Yes, the RR51 is what you want. I changed mine before the oe one failed and charging (and I think even starting) were def/y better.

15. Thanks for the reassurance on the fuel pump. I took a voltmeter with when checking out the bike, and both battery and reg rectify are fine.

Oil level is fine, though will double check. Wondering if the pressure switch is at the front of the engine and whether sudden acceleration might have confused it?

Cheers all.

16. Howdo!!

Look at your pic with the fairing stay and you can see the oil pressure switch (Just right of the AGIP sticker).

17. Might have been your sidestand light? Mine comes on all the time as my gearlever is wound down, gearchanges push the sidestand down etc... :)

18. Or maybe the bike is telling you to go quicker? Mine says it all the time! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Today has been a frustrating, entertaining, enlightening and expensive day

Frustrating when I filled the bike tank just over the base of the filler tube, and rode it 5 miles to work. It then proceeded to belch the slight fuel overfill all over the baglux cover, the frame, the ground around the bike (the underground garage smelt bad for hours while the bike dried out).

Six hours later I rode it over to Rosso Corse in the East End, which despite heavy traffic at times was an enjoyable ride.

The bike is currently receiving some well needed attention (new brake / clutch fluids, slave seal, the right size Pirelli tyres, and a chain without a split link, 14 tooth front sprocket).

Tank seals and a few other bits and bobs are on order.

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information