1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 2000+ Mile Tour. Multi, Xr, Gs, Gt

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Just back from a 2000+ mile tour up to and around the northwest coast of Scotland. In a word it was brilliant. 4 bikes, my 2015 standard DVT (+Termi +42T rear sprocket), a BMW XR, KTM 1290GT and BMW GS. An excellent opportunity to ride all 4 bikes back to back, and take in some quality hoonage.

Glencoe ski centre
    [​IMG]20160625-_DSC0816 by Tobers, on Flickr

Applecross
    [​IMG]20160625-_DSC0826 by Tobers, on Flickr

Somewhere near Lochinver possibly
    [​IMG]20160625-_DSC0856 by Tobers, on Flickr

All 4 bikes were phenomenal. I'm editing hours of video footage into compare & contrast film, but to summarise my thoughts:

• Ducati - absolutely superb. Smooth and relaxed on the motorways, agile and madly fast on the twisties. After riding the others I hardened up my suspension which I realised was a bit wallowy, with excellent results. Just the perfect bike - no problems whatsoever despite torrential rain, cold etc.
    • KTM - crazy and brilliant engine. Felt faster than the Ducati, but very firm with a hard saddle. Footpegs are higher than the Ducati so I felt a bit squashed up and not very comfortable. More sports bike than tourer. Fuel range indicator overly omptomistic - leading to running out in the middle of nowhere.
    • GS - nothing to dislike. Hugely capable, enjoyable bike, very comfortable and can hoon when required. Somewhat breathless compared to the other three though.
    • XR - horrible vibes through the bars, badly undergeared for a tourer. Comfortable, smooth (excluding the vibes), fast when wound up but didn't have the immediate snap of the Ducati or KTM.
    [​IMG]20160625-_DSC0859 by Tobers, on Flickr

[​IMG]20160629-_DSC0997 by Tobers, on Flickr

[​IMG]20160627-_DSC0927 by Tobers, on Flickr

[​IMG]20160626-_DSC0879 by Tobers, on Flickr

Scotland was phenomenal as always. We had very mixed weather, mainly sunshine and heavy showers. It was cold, no higher than 10C on some days. Good kit (Rukka Armas, Daytona boots) kept everything cosy though.

Filling up the KTM after it ran out of juice due to a range counter that went from 90 to zero in 5 miles.
    [​IMG]20160625-_DSC0870 by Tobers, on Flickr

In Rhue just near Ullapool.
    [​IMG]20160628-_DSC0979 by Tobers, on Flickr

Routes. We based ourselves in Ullapool to avoid having to cart gear all over the place, and set out on multiple different routes from there. Too many good roads, and the highlight has to be north out of Ullapool along Loch Assynt, then turning right to go up to Scourie via the Kylesku bridge. Hardly any traffic, perfect swoopy roads, just simply brilliant. We did a lot of smaller roads to, like the Applecross pass and the coastal twiddly bits through Drumbeg and Inverkirkaig. If you haven't been up there, do go. Here's a route map for you.

[​IMG]Routes by Tobers, on Flickr

Overall, I was hugely impressed by my Ducati. I wouldn't have swapped it for any of the other bikes - it was just sensational. With the baffle out of the Termi it was even quicker. Standing start drag races (on private land obviously) with the XR were absolutely neck and neck up to 120mph at which point we ran out of road. This was surprising as I thought the XR would smash the Ducati - not the case! I think the 42T rear sprocket really helped. The only time the XR did get ahead was when the Ducati anti-wheelie kicked in.

No problems at all with the bike. Little/no oil use. Chain lubed twice. The KTM ran out of fuel. The GS had a puncture. The XR had a smashed vajazzle running light from stone chips (£300+fitting+VAT for a new one).

Video to come...

• Like Like x 22
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nice write up :upyeah:. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice write up, I'll be heading up to Scotland on the weekend of the 22nd - 25th July hopefully if the weather holds out.

Think i may use some of the routes you've listed

I'll be doing it on my XR...its a fast one without without the vibes :)

4. Excellent - you'll love it. Congrats getting a vibeless one too.

5. Nice write up, Scotland is on my to do list, I like the look of your road trip, nice to hear you preferred your DVT to the others! [emoji106]

6. Im really looking forward to it, if it doesn't rain that is.

Oh and the multi, congrats on getting a working one :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Top notch trip & share!

8. Thx for the tip on the GT fuel gauge, I'll keep my eye on this when I'm away, I tend to zero the trip every time I fill up so hopefully I'll not run out.

9. Great write-up tobers, off to the Highlands on Thursday with a group from Bikers Oracle. Never been further northwest than Applecross before, looks like I've got something to look forward to. New discs should be nicely bed in by the time I get back lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thx for taking the time to write it up :)

11. Great trip report and some top photos Tobers! I've done Scotland a few times and the Applecross Inn is a really special place to stay if you ever get the chance. The pass can be pretty wild if the weather is bad though. It looked like you had some excellent weather so that's a bonus.

Really pleased that your DVT held it's own against the XR and KTM. I think your mods have certainly helped to release the real bike.

13. Great write up and photos Tobers, I hope to do the same on my Multi soon. Cheers.

14. Yep - we were staying in Ullapool for 5 nights rather than travelling around. This made Skye a bit of a trip to do justice to in a single day out from Ullapool and back. If you were having a "multi-centre" tour then Skye would be a goodie.

Note we stayed in Arrochar on the way up from London, north west of Glasgow, and we did Applecross on the way from Arrochar to Ullapool which made for quite a long 300 mile day on quite small roads. Though the distances don't look great, the single track roads along the coast do slow you down. On the way back we stayed in Kendal to break things up, though you could do London to Ullapool in a 1-er if you wanted, but its 650 miles and dull south of Glasgow.

15. Thanks! what a ride! :)

16. Hopefully going to Scotland next week

17. great stuff Tobers, I wondered what the BMW, KTM riders thought of the DVT were they impressed ? I have been thinking of doing the NC500 in 2017, look forward to the video footage (happy editing):scissors::grinning:

18. glad you enjoyed, nice rite up and photo ( pity the rest are on twitter )

• Like Like x 1
  19. Great question. Aside from my suspension being very soft (now firmed up since I rode the other bikes), there was universal admiration for the engine & comfort. The 4 of us had the following priority order (and you were allowed to choose your own bike):

Multi, GS, XR, KTM
    XR, Multi, GS, KTM
    KTM, Multi, GS, XR
    Multi, KTM, GS, XR

Bloody video editing - takes ages!

20. Multi either 1st or 2nd choice, good result that.
    I have the standard DVT and have been riding with soft rear pre load, it wasn't until I read the manual a few times that I understood how to adjust it properly, I think it said 18mm to 25mm which is daft because there are no markings just lines within a triangle.Anyways I have firmed my rear pre load (no pun intended) and yep it has improved the feel

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information