1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2v Superbike Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by andrewinuk, Mar 30, 2015.

1. I am now in the first stages of my Ducati track bike build.

Already having some hurdles to leap over as it is a bit of a mix and match, and already running late so going to miss the Donnington Ducati day :-(

But I am not going to let the negatives bother me because....... building bikes is fun!

I just need to remind myself of this when the tricky moments (apply any or all of the following three: time consuming / re-work / expensive) come up :)

So, what am I up to:
    • 1098 frame to be painted white
    • 848 rear hub / wheel / caliper hanger etc
    • Suzuki GSXR front end (with the steerer tube extended 1.5cm)
      • One std Suzuki wheel
      • One Dymag B quality carbon wheel :)
      • 9.0 linear springs and heavier oil
      • Brembo 19x18 master cylinder
    • 1100 Hypermotard engine
      • Balanced lightened crank (Louigi Moto)
      • Bottom end build (Rosso Corse)
      • Heads and dyno (Louigi Moto and CJS)
      • Lightened primaries and alloy belt wheels (MADSL)
      • DP Cams
      • Exhaust TBC......
    • 750 F1 fairing, to be painted Black (Two Wheeled Classics)
    • Airbox and seat DIY
    • 5L fuel tank (either DIY or from a kart)

First major hurdle is the length of the head tube on the 1098 being 1.5 cm longer than the 900ss, so I will be buying an extra suzuki stem and doing a bit of a cut and shut job. The forks should still fit with enough of the thick tube in the yokes, but will double check before I start cutting and welding!

Bits are still all over the countryside so photos to come over the next few weeks.... but i should add this old photo of the frame just to keep things real.
    [​IMG]

Oh and a wheel photo or two!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it will sort of look like this bike, with any luck,
    [​IMG]

But in this colour..... probably...
    [​IMG]

I will be taking an enforced break over easter but as bolts have already been turned, blow torches and hammers applied and knuckles already skinned, i thought I'd get the project post started.

Wish me luck, I'll possibly be needing it!

• Like Like x 12
  2. I like it...:)

3. Your old rear wheel will look good on it!!

4. Love 2V builds, looking forward to this one, lots of pictures please!

5. looks good,cant wait for updates.

6. Love it!

7. Great build, keep it up.

Yorkie

8. Can't wait to see more. Thanks

9. was that the motor that was at louigi's for a while?

10. Very tasty :)

11. Nice project. Why use a 1098 frame? You have one laying around? What tank are you thinking of? Assume small alli tank with a fibreglass cover?

12. ha ha no pressure then :) with so many people interested I'll have to make sure I don't cut corners on this!

and various bits of engine have mostly been lying around at Ray's place but the crank has been with Rich recently.

the 1098 frame is a cat B I bought from a fella who used to be on here with receipts from the salvagers. it was a great price so it all sort of developed as a wonderful jigsaw/Meccano puzzle! I was originally after a 999 and double sided swingarm.... but this frame is lighter so not so bad.

still not sure where the tank will go as I want it low and safe in case of crashes.... so most, if not all of the "tank" will be air box shaped like an F1 tank in profile, but more V'ed at the seat like the new GP bike so it is better for leaning off in corners.

in fact one of the things I am really looking forward to understanding is the ergonomics and weight distribution, but I'll probably wait till 2016 to start playing with anything too far from standard 1098 setup.

basically, some of this is as big a mystery to me as it is to everyone :)

13. The Kamna tank was my initial inspiration for sure!

But wow it's expensive. And i think i can get away with something smaller, ideally 5L or less. So going to try to be creative with where it slots, especially as i want a nice big airbox AND lots of cool air getting to the engine.......

Going to hopefully have a rolling chassis in 2 weeks so will work out where everything goes with cardboard templates.

• Like Like x 1
  14. That's silly money for a hidden tank - you could get one made up for a lot less.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Check out the small alli tanks they use on Moto x bikes, couple hundred quid, and doesn't matter what it looks like with a cover. I looked a few years ago for monster, but 916 tank a better option as pretty light, cheap and not too far out shape wise

16. Yeah the tank is going to be interesting. I really want this to be a light bike, and having a small tank will be a nice win. Watch this space :)

17. make me almost regret selling my 944 a few weeks ago.
    will look great when finished.

henk!!!

18. Would an S4R swingarm have gone in there?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information