1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2v Superbike Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by andrewinuk, Mar 30, 2015.

1. at this stage, all the charging and ignition will be standard ducati DS stuff, but i'll check out the Andersen connector, but with how light the little batteries are, the added hassle of an external battery may be a step to far at a track day for a person as disorganised as me :) as would rollers i'm thinking.....

and you may be right with the mUnit being overkill, so i'll see what i can get away with as i get this up an running..... stay tuned!

#61 andrewinuk, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. I'm building a track loom for a carby 900ss at the moment. It will also run a daytime MOT, so has a horn and brake lights. I have two MTA fuses, one for the charging circuit and one for the main supply. It uses the Kill switch for the power on/off via a relay to a sealed fuse box for the ignition, horn and brake lights. are you planning to run FI or going to carbs? If you're running the stock FI you'll need to check if you need the clocks as the can bus system sends the air temp value digitally from the clocks to the ECU.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ahhhh i didn't know about the temperature. thanks for the tip!

i am using a little acewell dash, so will need to get an appropriate sensor to send a signal. any idea what i can use as an alternative temp sender?

and Chris at CJS is doing the porting and dyno so was going to get him to hack the ECU which seems common practice when your running a smaller dash.

4. I've checked the wiring for the Multistrada 1000DS and the clocks connect to the air temp and oil temp sensors. I'd be interested to know if you can hack the ECU to be stand alone. Chris will know what the best option is.

Which model Acewell have you got, is it the 6556

5. i'll be using the acewell 1600 from my 900ss in the pic below. it is pretty minimal, but has a rev counter and a few idiot lights so is all i need.

and others will have more knowledge than me in relation to ECUs and Dashboards, but CJS provides the following service for setting up track bikes and for absent minded owners.....
    • Disable the antenna function to use any dash/clocks and ignition key set £249 (this saves buying new keys, clocks and ECU in the event of lost keys or an accident)

[​IMG]

6. Ahh, I think he means any compatible dash, not just any dash. Best to check with Chris.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. OMG i'll be back to carbs :)

8. I've sent an e-mail to Ignitec, they make an aftermarket ECU for Ducati that may be able to operate as a stand alone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OK, no laughing!

but this is me trying to work out what my tank and airbox look like and where it all fits....

the basics are:
    • airbox will be built out of wet lay up carbon, using a female mold, made from MDF simply fitted into the frame to set the shape... easy!
    • fuel tank will be carbon as well with lots of POR15 and about 5L, sitting centrally behind the airbox so that the bike balance doesn't change as the fuel goes down... still a few details to work out but thinking it will be bolted to the rear cylinder valve covers
    • over the tank i'll build a light weight frame from tubes with some panels on the sides to use when hanging off the side that serves the purpose of a fake tank and be strong enough to hold my weight when leaning off the side.....
    so, here is my "starter for 10" mock up of half the airbox and the trellis structure that sits around the tank. it will be obvious why i'm looking for an old seat now as i have f*ck all reference to work out where i want to sit to get the best ergonomics :) final seating position will depend on any words of wisdom .... or roughly the same as the 1098 DP seat.....

[​IMG]

the airbox on its own.... thinking i'll need to lower the lid as getting a 5L fuel tank in there may be a struggle
    [​IMG]
    i'd plan to run the fake tank support tubes down the side, so the lid of the airbox needed to come in a little
    [​IMG]

i'll have the airbox pressurised so will put an inlet next to the headstock
    [​IMG]

and thinking i need to raise the side of the airbox a little to give more room around the trumpet....
    [​IMG]

and please no laughing!! this is really just working stuff out at this stage :)

#69 andrewinuk, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  10. CAD! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ha ha Cardboard Aided Design.... i like it :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Hi Andrew,
    I've contacted Ignijet and they do a stand alone ECU for the 1100DS motor which does not use the stock clocks. If you PM me your e-mail I'll forward what I found.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The kings of CAD are Bad Obsession Motorsport - Project Binky. Got 11 You Tube episodes of their Celica GT4 meets Mini 1000. Projects – Bad Obsession Motorsport

• Like Like x 1
  14. I agree that the floor of the box is the key, from a the perspective of sealing around the inlets under the throttle bodies and from ensuring i get enough airflow to the rear cylinder. so i actually have that very template already made and ready to go! great minds eh ;-)

15. thanks DoS, PM on its way. and i'll check out project blinky shortly, advice and instruction is always welcome!!

16. ha ha i love it! Bad Obsession Motorsport - Project Binky is great..... makes me want to learn to weld.... i'll add it to my long list of "things to do" ...... either way, great suggestion Duke of Stow!

17. When all is said and done you will always know that you could have made this bike 6kg lighter.....[emoji51]

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. an evo block with st3 top end, barrels, pistons and rods will be phase 2, so i am no longer worried ;-)

19. ps: whoever uses photobucket needs to stop it. They delete photos after a few months & ruin threads like this...so ffs stop using it.

20. not sure what you did to annoy photobucket but i still have photos from a few years ago that are showing up in threads

PS: always good to suggest a solution if you have one rather than just a problem...... so if you know of a good alternative please share.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information