1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

38.0 Error code ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Android, May 16, 2012.

1. You would have thought I would know the answer to this one....38.0 = can line error.....but no.

I was on my way home, bike had started instantly on the button.......then 5 miles down the road filtering down a queue of traffic and suddenly it just dies.

Plenty of fuel ...battery good....cranks over well.....but no sparks
    I disconnect dash and reconnect...still no go
    small 3 amp fuse blown(nearest battery end of fuse block)....replaced......still no go
    Fuel pump primes ok

Call the RAC man out ....he checks
    engine speed sensor....ok
    side stand switch.....ok
    neutral light shows...ok
    No spark at the plugs

so I get to ride home in the truck

The dash recently has been unresponsive until a few miles down the road .....after the tacho needle suddenly springs to life and then I can change the clock and reset trip but not when I initially turn the ignition on.

Any pointers greatly appreciated
    Andy P.

2. Sorry cant help Andy but it looks like over on dot net they aggree with you on the can line??

3. Ohhh Yessss

The engineer triumphs over the machine :upyeah:

I thought what are the Italian bikes renowned for.........water in the electrics

No sparks.....whats in control of the sparks.....ecu

took the ecu off

Ok ....4 torx srews holding it together.....well I've never seen inside one of those so lets have a look......screws out and it separates mmmmm a heat sink which the earth was connected to and another piece (riveted and plastic welded together with the processors and connectors) but the joint between heat sink and circuit board is full of corrosion.. .aluminium against aluminium.

cleaned the faces and greased them(copper slip), reassembled, reconnect plugs and battery(now fully recharged) pressed the button and the beast roars into life.

it would seem this time the earth for the ecu was not good enough through all the corrosion

Multistrada ECU (8).JPG Multistrada ECU (9).JPG

Multistrada ECU (8).JPG

Multistrada ECU (9).JPG

#3 Android, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Good work and congrats on finding the cause/fix...........you should repost this on multistrada.net (quite a lot of talk recently re 'classic' MTS electrical faults;-)

5. I have posted on both just in case one disappears ..:wink:
    Not much around about this fault code

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information