1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 4 Years, Two Multistradas And 20,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by iainhwilson, Aug 21, 2015.

1. My journey into Ducati ownership started when my 50,000 mile BMW 1150 GS coasted to a halt on to the hard shoulder of a French motorway. Travelling at 85mph, I became aware of a fairly terminal sounding noise resembling a food mixer filled with nuts and bolts. Smoke poured from the gearbox. Carole Nash breakdown and then the AA got the bike and myself home. After stripping the rear end, I found the universal joint at the front of the shaft had broken, taking the gearbox output shaft with it. I had enjoyed riding the rugged GS for 8 years, a real carry anything anywhere approach to biking, but repair was not really worth it so I decided to sell and replace with a different bike. But what to buy?

Having never owned a V-twin, I settled on a choice between the KTM SMT or the Ducati Multistrada. Both seemed nicely produced bikes, but the KTM I tried (3 times) had poor fuel injection at low speed and so after another 3 road tests I settled on the Multistrada and in August 2011 bought a new 1200S Touring from George White Superbikes in Plymouth, my nearest dealer.

The difference between my GS and the Ducati was very significant – it took some time until I tried out the Sport setting, such was the enormous increase in performance! The handling with the Ohlins was very good and I soon found myself taking the long way home, or going out for a run, something I hadn’t done for years on the GS. Two up the bike wasn’t as good as the GS because of the lightweight rear spring. I was reluctant to change this in case it caused a problem with the rear electronic shock.

The rear brake was ineffective – a well known problem with this model. This was proving to be a nuisance when trying to hold the bike at hilly junctions so when I was in France I tried adjusting the play on the brake lever at the end of a day’s riding. The next morning, around a mile after leaving the campsite, it became clear the back brake was locked on and very hot with some sort of hydraulic lock. As it cooled down, I was able to free it, and when back in UK managed to get it upgraded under warranty by the helpful guys from SP motorcycles in Exeter (George White had gone into receivership).

2012 saw the Plymouth dealer opening up again as GT motorcycles and I set off again for Europe after the annual service stamp, on what was proving to be a really comfortable, practical touring bike. I had the Ohlins re-shimmed due to a light knocking – I am not sure whether it made much of a difference though!

Due to the low speed running being a bit rough, I met up with CJS Racing and had an “off the shelf “ map put on the bike. I was quite nervous about doing this, but it worked well, eliminated the exhaust valve, oxygen sensors and brought the cooling fans earlier with a hot engine.

Aztech spacers improved the screen buffeting and an increased vibration was traced to the centre stand rubber being hardened and needing replaced. Seems not to be an ideal design as it simply cooks on the catalyser when running.

I had fitted Michelin PR3s, which were brilliant tyres, but after riding over the Col de Tourmalet that summer I noticed 3 pieces of fine gravel were sticking out the tyre when stopped for a cup of tea. I flicked them out, only to be disappointed by a hiss coming from where the third piece had been! The plugging kit under the seat worked well on the second attempt, but the CO2 cartridges only inflated the tyre halfway. Fortunately there was a garage nearby. The repair lasted fine for (ahem) 1000 further miles. When I replaced the tyres, I was surprised at how thin the PR3 carcase had become and decided to try Z8 tyres instead.

By this time I had covered around 10,000 miles in 15 months. My bike had been faultless, although I was concerned that when used in colder weather the oil sight glass was always misted. The forums said this was normal, but when the bike was recalled to put the “correct” coolant in, I decided to change the bike for a 2013 version. Subsequently I believe the bike went on to have the heads replaced, so relieved I made that decision!

The 2013 Multistrada was bought new from GT motorcycles with Skyhook suspension. Initial impressions were that the engine pulled more smoothly from low down, although I found the mapping better in Touring and Sport than in Urban, where there was sometimes an initial hesitation coming off the line. So the Urban setting was changed to the soft 150bhp engine map.

On my way to the Portsmouth ferry to go to Spain, I was surprised at a fuel stop to see oil pouring out of the left fork leg. I phoned GT to explain my predicament and that of my planned riding holiday. In an amazing piece of customer service one of the owners and one of the mechanics (both Steve) stayed behind and repaired my fork so I could catch the next ferry. It took 3 hours and we finished at 2200. I was able to watch the whole operation, which was fascinating. The skills of the mechanic were brilliant to see and I suddenly realised what we pay for when we get service at GT. We all wondered however why a Skyhook electronic fork connector is under all the bodywork instead of at the fork? I caught the next ferry and my mates a couple of days later.

This bike proved to be as good as my first MTS. The seat had 90% of the comfort of the first, excellent handling and was much better with a pillion. I found the Skyhook to be a little harsh at low speed, but very good at higher speeds when bumps which might be expected to unsettle a bike were amazingly smoothed out – particularly useful when leaning over.

The ’13 bike worked out to be 10% more economical as advertised, and the fuel calculator is uncannily accurate – to within 1-2 mpg. Although the rear brake and the screen were better that the 2011, in reality neither are brilliant, however I have got used to them now and they are not really a problem.

The only negative for me is a patch of vibration, which seems to be around 3200 – 3600 rpm. Most of the time it is not really noticeable, but on a lot of slow twisty corners taken in 2nd and 3rd gear, it becomes more noticeable. As with many forum reports, the chain plates rust easily in winter – largely prevented if road salt can be avoided.

Recalls for the bike (Skyhook rear sensor and throttle cable housing) were performed as I waited in GT’s excellent café – recently re-opened after a new deck was built to house the Scrambler - well worth a visit. I had to get the Skyhook sensor done twice.

As with the last bike, the ’13 has used no oil during the 10,300 miles I’ve done so far.

In summary, great bikes, lots of power, mile-eating machines and fantastic all day comfort. I think they also look great, which is important in a motorbike. The Ducati luggage on both was leak free and held plenty for touring. Originally I continued to use my GS Touratech tank bag, but this year moved to a Givi clip on one ,which is easier. Although the bike is happy enough in town, it is not its natural territory, much preferring the faster open roads. For commuting I use a smaller KTM 690 Duke, which is remarkably good fun, although badly behaved at times.

Tyres have lasted around 4000 for the rear (Scorpion, PR3, Z8) and about 5000 from the front. This year I changed the rear before going to Spain and left the front on as it was only part worn. This was a bit of a mistake as the handling goes off for me in the last 1000 miles of any tyre and I was glad to put a new tyre on when I got back.

This year in Spain and France it was very hot, there were no problems for the Ducati, although the rider had to stop to cool off. We ended up riding more gently than normal through northern France (50 – 70 mph) with my wearing-out tyre and the bike averaged 55-60mpg, which amazed me. Normal is 45-50mpg.

So, if you are considering getting a Ducati, its unlikely you will be disappointed! Fantastic fun and nice to own.

Obviously from the forum we know some have trouble, I have been fortunate and my ’13 seems a good one. So what to do…. should I keep and ride for a few years or sell now as it won’t do many miles over the next 6 months and upgrade again next year? Always a tricky question – off for a Talisker while I contemplate!

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

View attachment 54305

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_1475_2.jpg

#1 iainhwilson, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Would love to put my mind at rest by buying the new model but funds wont allow. My 2010 is still going having had the heads replaced under warranty, I had a weepy fork seal, the clutch has started making a little noise pulling away in 1st, but I still love it and ride it everywhere. 4.5k miles since March (and it was away for a month getting the heads done).

3. Great read! My 2013 Touring S came from GT Motorcycles too - bought about three weeks ago and I've already done about 1500 miles! Off to Spain for 10 days in 4 weeks time, can't bloody wait - Picos, Pyrenees, and MotoGP at Aragon.

We'll have to meet for a beer down at the Barbican in Plymouth - seen a few other Multis down there, and often find the owners pleasant and chatty.

cheers,

Nik

4. Thanks for your write up a good read. I've not been touring on mine yet but will be going next year, can't wait.

5. Very nice appraisal, it is hard to know when the right time is to swap machines, especially when there are no reasons to justify it. My previous bike was with me for 7 years and I do miss it, however for me it was a little easier as I was stepping from a mid range machine to top end. So if your happy with your 2013 I would say consider a new one when it makes best commercial sense (if it ever would) or if you think the newer features make it worthwhile for you, of course for some its a case of must have new metal as well. Good luck with that tricky decision.

6. Good read, sounds like a very successful few years.

7. Yep, I thought I was going to have to book the day off work to read through that lot.
    Nice write up though.
    I toyed with the idea of trading in for a DVT, but now that most of the usual niggles have been sorted on my 2014 S GT I don't see the point. It still ticks all the boxes for me solo or touring, I've had it 17 months and done 14k, I'm about to go from Walney Island to Croatia on it with the wife and half a house full of luggage, I know it's due a main service soon but I'm confident I've looked after it enough for it to last until I get back.
    it's up to you if you swap but I can see any advantage of spending more money just for a few more gimmicks.

8. Where's your luggage going then? [emoji38]

It's not about upgrading for gimmicks. Is that I've had mine a short while, had an engine rebuild and now have a clutch/slave issue. It is concerning me that this bike may not last the length of my finance agreement within me spending a lot on it.

9. I shall have you know it won't be my gear taking up most of the room this time :p Have dwindled things down a lot - lesson learnt from last year :D

10. huh? Sorry I was posting to Iainhwilson but if that how you feel to go for it.

11. Great write-up. Pleasure to read.

12. Enjoyed the read :)

13. Ditto; enjoyable read

14. Facing a similar 'do I sell or do I keep' dilemma myself.
    Problem is, my 2012 S is now fully sorted. I've lived through the early niggles (rattling Ohlins, crap back brake, rubbish fuel level sensor etc.), fitted a decent screen, a decat and had it CJS tuned and it is now as perfect as it will ever be, either pootling round town or grunting out of hairpins before flying up the mountains, barking like a rabid dog.
    I've spent a bit on it getting it just right but with 17k on the clock I'm getting a bit nervous.
    I desperately wanted to like the DVT but found it a bit soulless and Honda like compared to mine. I would end up having to spend money on it getting it right and finding the surprising lacking mid range.....but on top of the already expensive purchase price I'm finding it very hard to justify.

15. +1 Majvs. My 2012 Touring S has 19,000 miles on it and I adore it. Tested the DVT and the mid-range is an issue created by sorting a problem which IMHO is what gives the bike character? The cost to change and then "fix" the issues just doesn't feel worth it. Trying to get a test on the S1000XR out of sheer curiosity, but my local dealer have sold their demonstrator and are awaiting another? Quiet happy with what I have however

16. Rode the s1000xr for an afternoon during the week, new example with the optional Akra. Found it a bit soulless and lacking power compared to my Diavel! Suspension seemed harsh no matter what mode I stuck it in and definitely a lack of midrange. Nice bike, but too "plasticky" for my liking, and its not a bike that you look back at while closing the garage door.
    I'm now toying with the idea of buying an '11 or '12 Multistrada S, but quite nervous with the stories being bandied about. I just cant justify the cost of a new DVT here-€26k!

17. I took delivery of the XR on the 1st aug and sold it privately one week later for the exact reasons above.

18. TBH Force-v4 there are quite a few 2013 version going for a very good price. I rode my 63 plate today for the first time for a few months and certainly it is more comfortable than my DVT, Ride is harder though, just has more wow factor with the engine and grunt, Just seems more easier to ride than the DVT, even to the point am wondering if it is the PR4's that give it that little more free flowing feel, but that is all great till I have to put my feet down, I love my touring S but just wish it was a little lower, it is so hard as the Old and New DVT has so many good points about each other, but am finding it hard to let my old one go atm.

19. Good write up which I enjoyed over my Sunday morning cuppa. I'm surprised how many feel that these bikes have insufficient power for what they are designed for. My 2013GT has loads of grunt and I'm not buying the DVT for that reason. Enhanced gadgetry and lower seat are the main reasons. The cost of change is always a bit of in issue but I hate regret so just work a few more weekends and do the deal.
    Also nice pics looks like you get out about a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I haven't ridden any of these models but the symptoms are there.
    I want something I can take the Mrs on the back.

Run me through the mid range grunt issue.

It would be interesting to do a poll to see who thinks what about the 2013 models v the 2015 models.

#20 Sam1199, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information