1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 42 Tooth Rear Sprocket Fitted, Pics, Link

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Aug 1, 2015.

1. I had an Aprilia RSV Mille a while back and it's low-down tractability was greatly improved by fitting a 16T front sprocket instead of the stock 17T one.

I find the DVT a bit high-geared around town, needing a bit of clutching, a bit similar to the Aprilia, so I decided to try a 42T rear sprocket. I bought one from Supersprox in Prague from their shop. Here's the link: SUPERSPROX EU- Ducati - Road Bikes - 1101-1200 ccm - 1200 Multistrada, S Sport, S Touring [2010-2014]

It's the 530 width one that you need. Don't get confused with the 525 and 520 options - you don't want those. It's easy to be confused as it doesn't say "530" on the web page.

Fitting was exceptionally easy. I popped over to Guildford Tyre Centre and they did it for me in 30 mins for £36. Happy days. Note that the big nut looked pretty tough to remove, requiring a length of scaffold pole, and that the thread is greased.

It is more pleasant in traffic now, and seems to accelerate more rapidly :upyeah:. A bit more responsive rolling on from 70mph as you'd imagine.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Agreed, changing the gearing makes the bike more tractable, feels more like a big Traillie! I opted to fit a 14T front sprocket, you get to avoid using the Scaffolding pole, lol. FYI, the front sprocket on the DVT is the same part number as the 10-14 Multistrada. Even so, sourcing a sprocket in the UK was not simple. Figured out you can use an AFAM sprocket part number 52900-14, which you can fit yourself, cost £21 delivered from biketorqueracing.co.uk(ebay).

3. I've just got my new 98t(from 96) chain today , the new 42t ( from 38) rear for my 749 should be here tomorrow ....can't wait to see the difference in drivability at low speeds .....

4. Tobers, any chance of a pic with the sprocket on the bike pls

5. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Can you re-calibrate the bike after changing the gearing?

7. I think you mean the speedo?
    If so it is run from the abs sensor on the brake.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm puzzled? I thought Ducati brought out the DVT engine so it was smooth at low and high revs? what's the point in putting a bigger sprocket on the back? are you saying they haven fixed the problem and the DVT is just a gimmick?

9. Nowt to do with the power delivery at all. I feel the Multi is overgeared, which is great if you want to be sat at 70mph in top gear with the engine ticking over. I find, as I found on my 848, that trickling about in traffic in first gear means feathering the clutch quite a bit. Decreasing the front, or increasing the back sprocket size make the bike more user friendly. I know that's a poor description, you really need to try it out for yourself to see what the difference is. :) Dunno why the gearing is so tall on Ducatis, no doubt another way of achieving emission control requirements.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes, as Scaraman says it's about the gearing not the low down smoothness of the engine.

With the 42T rear sprocket, the bike is more pleasant around town, with the added benefit of faster acceleration everywhere, and more effective roll-on at 70mph.

I had the bike out today for a fantastic ride round the back lanes of Surrey & Sussex and it's just fantastic. I'm very pleased with this mod.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Good morning,
    i got the Supersprox here for 20 Euros less (located in Germany):
    BigRISK PowerParts - Kettensätze + Kettenpflege

I also very pleased with this mod.
    @tobers: Can you tell me which distance of the chain accorrding to the user manual your dealer has
    adjusted? I mean the correct distance for the chain tension. Normally it should be 38-40mm.
    Thank you,

Heimo

12. Hi Heimo - the chain was adjusted correctly according to the manual and the little metal measuring tool. There's enough adjustment in the hub to allow for the slightly larger circumference of the 42T sprocket. Note I've got 2400 miles on my bike and have done one previous chain adjustment to take up the slack a little.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Never changed the last. Won't change this one either.

What is std rear, how many teeth have you added?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stock is 40.
    42 or 43 are available from Supersprox. AFAIK 43 require a longer chain.

-Heimo

15. not sure what this will do to ride height, or even if its adjustable on the MTS, given you are changing the eccentric position.

16. Um....it's just standard chain adjustment. No effect on ride height - just loosen the pinch bolts and adjust with the crappy C spanner.

17. The hub is eccentric and moves around the clock face so any adjustments will move the ride height. On sorts bikes you adjust the tie rod to get back to the right height. Never thought about it on multi, but if I were chafing rear sprocket I'd investigate more

18. If you're suffering from chafing around your rear sprocket, I suggest using talcum powder.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ;)

#19 Hyperextended, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  20. I like the red centre, can I ask where did you get it from !

Do Not Sell My Personal Information