1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750 Ss Restoration In Spain

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by adecarcer, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Having just spent half an hour reading through this thread, I love the resourcefulness of your work and the braided loom. Excellent work. Also pleased to hear your wife's health has improved. Looking forward to the next instalment of photos. Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Tom, I was looking at your braided cables coming from the alternator........the ones that are held in by those black plastic nut things....

I assume you have used the rubber compression cones inside them again, but did you wipe sealant all round the end of the braiding when you assembled?

My friend has a 600SS with similar (but not so pretty) braiding and he is getting oil sweat running up the inside of the braid, so the outside is now oil for about 70mm past the nuts.

On my 750, there is approx 220mm of rubber (or synthetic) tube coming out of the case, which then changes to sealed braid.

Mine used to sweat oil from around the nut because one of the previous owners had the compression glad in the wrong way round......and also, the plated brass housing nut had no sealing washer against the case.

AL

3. Thanks for the heads up Al

I installed the conical grommets and also used a copper washer on the brass housing.
    I didn't use sealant because the brided sleeve is covered with heatshrink tube on the ends so, hopefully, it will stay tight.

We'll see what happens when the engine runs again.

thanks for the input,

Tom
    (sent from mobile device)

4. From what Al is describing, the braided material is porous and acts as a capillary wick, so sealing the end with heat-shrink will only work if it extends all the way up to the gland.
    Seems like you will need to seal the braid with something above the gland before the oil has a chance to travel up it. Maybe a thin silicone would work.

5. That's exactly what I meant OR...........

At least someone can understand my ramblings..............must be an age thing.........:wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. :)

7. With those air filters, what size main jets have you got in the carbs?

8. Hi Al

The carbs are new and supposedly come from a Monster 750 so, according to original specification, their main data is:

Type: BDST 38 B 216A
    Main Jet: 132.5
    Starting Jet: 70
    Jet Needle: 5cJ01-4
    Needle Jet: Y4
    Pilot Jet: 42.5

This is all "chinese" (or Welsh :) ) for me and I have not yet got the mood the learn about carb jets, needles and so forth.

I know some issues await around this corner, and any advice should be more than welcome.

thks

9. The 'BDST 38 B' is correct..........I'm not sure about the '216A'...........that's because the 750SS 1997 model had 'BDST B70' carbs.

I am assuming the number difference could simply be something like production runs - perhaps someone will assist on that bit.

For OEM Mikuni jets sizes etc (which are what you have quoted) the 750SS should have:
    Main Jet: 140
    Starting Jet: 70
    Jet Needle: 5C19
    Needle Jet: Y6
    Pilot Jet: 37.5

However, although you say the carbs are new, it would be worth a look at what is actually inside as someone may have something like a Dynojet kit fitted.

For your information OEM Mikuni parts have a tiny square logo and the size on them - Dynojet have nothing other than size and the sizes are not comparable with Mikuni (they are measured differently).

We can tell if Dynojet parts are fitted by looking at the needle and spring.

My 750SS has a Stage 2 Dynojet kit fitted........I have airbox lid fitted, but no trumpets; plus straight through exhaust cans.
    Dynojet Main jet that is fitted is a 148...........If I removed the airbox and fitted filters like yours, I would be looking at a Dynojet Main Jet 155 at least.

Hope that helps a bit.

AL

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Hi have you had time to do any more work on your bike?

• Like Like x 1

11. Hi Mark:

You're totally right. I've been some sort of lazy pig since August and very little improvement has been done.. :(

The sad truth is that I have been travelling way too much because of my work (mostly in UK, US and Canada, but also with short jumps to Norway, Brazil and France)

Yeah.. I know.. it sounds like a life full of adventure.. but in reality is very tough and leaves me exhausted all weekends with little time to dedicate to my family (not to mention my bike)

12. WTF,,,, are you an astronaut ??

13. Nevertheless , some progress has been done.

The bike is almost finished on the mechanical side, and only the fuel lines (new braided ones) and some minor stuff needed to be fixed.

Intresting to mention is the fact that I could not press back the oil breather valve (impossible to tight without the proper tool) and I had to choose between buying the original ducati wrench (too expensive to be used almost once) or..

Fabricate my own.!!!

I decided to go the DIY way and reverted to ancient forge technology of the 21st century....
    I just borrowed my son's 3D printer and printed my own wrench

IMG_20161110_205726.jpg

IMG_20161110_205658.jpg

You won't believe it!!! it works like a charm.

Also got some fiber parts to begin the final stages of painting and fairing closing.

I love my new SOLO SEAT

IMG_20161029_133049.jpg

But I also need to fabricate the brackets and some metal surface to cover with pad and trim. And thinking I could also use the 3D printer for this, but needing some material stronger than PLA plastic.. (you know, one thing leads to another...)

I decided to fabricate my own CNC cutting mill to do those extra pieces.!!

So, I'm using the 3d printer to print pieces for the CNC cutter.

I think it was C3PO in starwars who said "Machines making machines,... this is obscene..." but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

This is how the CNC cutter looks as of today

IMG_20161110_205059.jpg

Not yet finished. But when it is done, it will help me to cut 3mm aluminum plate to the exact measure of the seat pad, dashboard bracket, etc...

hqdefault.jpg

In the meantime, the bike looks like this.

IMG_20161110_205640.jpg

Im trying some color tests, looking for the perfect dark metal gray color that properly points out the beautiful orange frame.

Slow,, toooo slooooow...

I know.

Thanks for whipping me to post.

• Like Like x 2
  14. fook me,, its Star Wars !!

15. I wish I was... trips would be more controlled and more predictable..

No, I work for the finance and M&A department of a large multinational and we are no planning to sell some part of the business. And someone has to go to convince investors to put their money in..

16. i may have asked before ( i have a terrible memory ) where in spain are you.. ( i spend lot of time down near Ronda )

17. That Orange frame would look great with the "Gulf Oil" blue colours on the body work IMHO. Fantastic work that you have done so far.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. I'm in Madrid. Been in Ronda sometimes in the past (beautiful village!)

Gulf Color looks lovely and was one of the initial ideas...

Who knows, maybe I could revisit it!
    Light blue fairing with a white roundel for the racing number on the tail.. and some more orange (maybe a stripe) on the tank...

mmmmm......

decitions.. decitions..

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. OMG,, Madrid,, passed around it again this year ( with wifey on Harley ) ,,maybe after about ten years i will learn the ring roads !! love it tho

20. How are you setting up the rear solo seat? All the brackets i ordered from Stein-Dinse have arrived and I have been thinking about how best to do it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information