1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750SS project begins

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wonky donkey, Apr 11, 2014.

1. As per my "newbie" post, I've just acquired a '94 750SS fitted with a '97 motor. Bit of a "I've always wanted one of those" moment, plus I needed another project now I've finished my SV650-based one.
    [​IMG]

Shee needs some attention, though is a runner and just about usable, bar one or two immedidate problems to resolve (left hand side switchgear is toast, fluids need changing).
    [​IMG]

I got almost a complete SS in parts too, but most of that has gone to be the basis of a mate's cafe racer project - thats' what i was planning originally, but I've changed my mind now. I'll put her on the road for a bit while I see what's what and source some parts etc., but medium-term I'll strip it right down and bring her back up to her rightful level of beauty. I'll not be "restoring" it though - there'll be modifications of some sort.

First up, I need new chain and sprockets on - what's the preferred sprocket sizes or should I stick to standard? If not standard, where are you guys sourcing alternative sizes from?

Cheers,
    Mick..

• Like Like x 1
  2. Looks like a great starter for a project, keep the pictures coming :upyeah:

3. Great bike for a project.

Yorkie

4. I note that it has the low slung oil cooler..........which isn't common for a 97 engine..........

On the 750 I wouldn't bother to change the sprocket sizes.......round town the gearing is just about liveable with, but if you alter the sprockets to help around town, you will be constantly changing up and down on the dual carriageways.......one minute you want a sixth gear, the next you will be down to fourth looking for a bit more go.....

5. Agreed, also the sprocket cover is one of the early types as well.

Yorkie

6. The grey plastic cover you mean? I have that on my 97 engine.............I have been looking for an ally one, but in the end, it now has a carbon wrap.....

7. I stand corrected then, I thought it was just the early ones that had the round sprocket cover. I know getting an after market one is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Yorkie

8. Hmm - interesting. It could be a bit of a mix and match job, parts wise. I have most of the original motor, but no oil cooler in the box, so that could explain it? Pretty sure the engine number in the bike is consistent with a later motor.

Cheers for the advice on sprockets - that's the second time I've been told that today, so... :upyeah:

Mick..

9. Well, had a chance to have a proper look over the bike recently and I can safely say she needs more work than I'd anticipated. However, in for a penny in for a pound he goes....

The shock leaks, as do the forks. The electrics seem to have been buggered about with. Needs bearings pretty much everywhere. Carbs need fully stripping and sorting (possible evidence of Dynojet in there). Worrying line on the bottom of engine case that could be a fine crack (though no obvious, so hopefully not). Belts, of course (note to self: check if square or round teeth in view of other thread). Cooler lines are past it. Etc. She's due an appointment with my tame mechanic. Fortunately also happen's to be a Ducati service centre. :)

So I'll distract myself with acquiring parts. As previously mentioned, I've got low-slung cooler disease. Are there any covers available or am I gonna have to make one? And hoses - are Earls an option there?

Mick..

10. The forks will be easy to do if they are Marzocchis...........buy the seals once you have got them apart to make sure you have the right size..........and if they are pitted, they will polish up to a fair degree, but it might pay to put a slightly oversize seal in..........I have the reference number for them somewhere.

Electrics are relatively simple to sort...........especially if you use the OEM wiring diagram rather than the Haynes ones.

Many carb parts are available from Allens Performance.......but they can be costly........

.....How do you know you have Dynojet? We can normally tell from the needles, springs and jet markings.

Dynojet will replace worn needles free of charge.

Nelly tells us we should be OK for square tooth belts still..........MotoRapido are normally good for price.

Oil cooler: Someone used to supply grilles for them........sorry, don't know who.......

........but here's a tip..............don't try mounting your oil cooler in the higher position until you have the engine running well........even if you don't have carb heaters attached, it is still a pig and gets in the way of throttle stop / idle adjustment screw and the balance adjustment screw...........it normally means unbolting the cooler from the high level position and letting it hang..........where it burns your arm while you are making those adjustments.

If you need handbook and manual, PM me......and I will give a link to download them.

AL

11. Cheers AL - I'll pm you about the manual, thanks.

Not 100% sure what forks are in it. Certainly no adjustment but they could be 94 or 97 forks, which I believe we're not all the same? Is there a reliable way of telling without taking them apart? No real evidence of pitting, fortunately.

The carbs, well I had a quick fiddle and there's definite signs of internal "disturbance" plus the PO said summat about rejetting. Other than that, only a close inspection will tell, as you say.

Cheers for the tip on the cooler - hadn't crossed my mind to move it. It's been OK for 30k+ miles, so.... Will look into it though. If anyone knows of anyone doing cooler grilles, I'd be grateful for a pointer. Or if anyone has one going spare....

Mick..

#12 wonky donkey, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  12. Upload a photo of the fork tops..........

13. not sure if you can see enough of what you're looking for here, but this is the only one I have to hand (and it's dark now).
    [​IMG]

shows off my fixed up clutch res too :upyeah:

Mick..

14. Marzocchi forks........easy ones to deal with.....

If you need to know how, let me know....

AL

#15 Ghost Rider, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  15. Thanks AL - I'll no doubt take you up on that but not at the "sorting the forks" stage yet :)

Mick..

16. my oil cooler has been placed in the fairing behind the letter box,just get some longer lines made up.

17. Chad, this is something I am thinking of doing, moving it up to the front of the fairing, did you calculate the extra capacity required with the longer hoses, or not bother?

18. no as it was on the bike when i bought it,i will measure them when i put them back on,i would think a cup full at the most.

19. any recommendations on where to get lines made up - not sure if I'll move it's position yet or not, but either way I need new lines and fittings.

Mick..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information