1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

821. Handling , What Handling ?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Mr Tea, May 14, 2016.

1. omg . I've fallen in love with a bike that hates me.
    So first time out today with the bike . Panniers off lovely roads and away we go. It's got new tyres on so spend a few miles scrubbing them in then start to give it what for around the country lanes around Cambridge and I discover I have bought the worlds worst handling bike ever, and one that is intent of leaving as much centre stand on the road as possible.
    Now, I've been in bikes for around 30 years and I ok ish on a bike but honestly , the handling is horrific. Coming off a roundabout with a quick left right onto a straight the bike is either growing it's head around miked up with so much grinding of the stand that I'm almost starting to run out of bend because it doesn't have any more clearance.
    So , before I go running off with book in my hand crying I thought I'd open up to you guys for feedback.
    I'm 16.5 stone so I guess I might be a little heavier than normal . I'll look though the book and check to see if it's set on standard suspension settings and then check the rider and static sag. My guess is I'm way too soft on the rear .

Honestly, I've never ridden a bike so bad !!!

2. Like you say start off with static and rider sag and see how that comes out , you may have to get it sprung for your weight ....them Italians are only 10 stone soaking wet so perhaps the bike is set up for that weight .... either that or ease up on them pies man ....

3. As Lee said... Suspension setup correctly first... Plus.. You've got the stock suspension on yours (no ohlins) or marzzochi.... On top of that your on a hyper strada and just mentioned "centre stand" youve got the jack of all trades there so the handling is not going to be top of the list... More of a tourer...

Case in point : I've also got a 2014 z1ooo which has the worst rear shock in the history of rear shocks.... Knew it when I bought the bike... Now has a nitron r3 in the rear... Transformed the bike...

4. The suspension is the same on the Strada and normal Motard. I'm not going to get too worried as the demo bike I took out the other week was great handling . Ok it didn't have the ground clearance problem with no stand but that can be taken off no problems. I've just got to get the handling to suit my weight I guess but it's not very adjustable at all so will need a bit of proper fettling I think.

5. Yep... Must confess I'm pretty shit with suspension... I took my rsv4 to a local shop just before the tt last year and it was brilliant. I might have a play with the evo sp soon... Bit of experimentation... Although the tyres are totally fucked at the moment so the rear keeps sliding out...

6. I'd pull that centre stand off.

Mine handles amazingly well. Counter steer it into a bend and it just sticks and feels super confident. I love the quick change of direction.

7. That is why I decided not to get bikes hat don't come with fully adjustable suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Have you bought a low suspension model? My 2014 hyperstrada gets to within a few mm of the edges of the tyres without scraping the centre stand whilst carrying my 18 stone around on it!

9. Theres definitely different degrees of stock suspension....my 2015 z1ooo's rear shock is awful...but, I knew that when I bought the bike and factored in a replacement....

10. Lets see your tyres. If you on the edges then thats as far as it goes. If not, suspension sitting too low or stand not retunring properly. Or you have camber on roundabouts just limiting clearance

Have seen these on track so would suggest its you, your expectations or suspension related

11. Talk to me .
    I need to 100% sure ive not been sold one.
    How can I confirm it ?

12. Well , I've had my measuring stick out , and it's kinda in the middle of the two , but nearer the normal height with 170 to the sump and a seat of 840 mm.
    I've taken note of the numbers and will Ducati a bell in the morning to see what I can find out.
    I've also adjusted the preload on the rear shock . I've upped it a fair old lump with 20 clicks just to see what , if any difference that makes.
    I'd be pretty peeved if it turned out to be a low bike and I would feel a swift call to the shop that sold it to me coming along soon after .

13. Can you compare with another? Perhaps somebody on here is local?

So is the suspicion that you've been sold a hyperstrada or a custom spec motard?

14. Ok.
    As I said, I've wound up the rear preload and I think , as in I didn't ride it , alter it , and ride it again , it's seems as if I'm sitting higher.
    Its fitted with new BT14's which I know nothing about so I read the write ups and they seem ok but need plenty of warming up so I shoot off to do just that before returning to the same series of bends that caused the dragging of the stands. Sure enough it didn't do it this time so a spin around and another bash but this time with more umpfff shall we say. Basically again yes it's better but I can get it to chop it's stand but that's a bit of hard leaning with bumps thrown in so that's fine for the time being. also the head seemed to shake a lot less to the point I actually forgot about it so that's great.
    I think a lot of it is I need to learn how to ride a bike like this. As I've said this is my first non full on sports bike so maybe I need to learn the best seating position , wether I should be hanging off ( which isn't something I like doing compared to some other i see )
    Another surprise is they flip along at a greater rate than I thought. On one clear section I wound it on and with a bit of ducking down showed 144 with maybe a little more to come . TBH I'd not thought about that but would have thought 120 , maybe 130 tops .
    So, progress which is great considering it's a new to me bike. It's going to need some mods like a can on it as it sounds a bit like my old klr650 I used to have, but it also needs some mods to me as a rider so I can work out the best way to ride it.

15. Good idea. The local Ducati dealer has one in stock so it's butts on bikes this weekend

16. Haha...they do zip along quite well. I hit 140 in 5th, forgetting I had another gear to go!

Regarding the learning how to ride this type of bike. I agree complete. I have a 1299 panigale in the garage also and that is definitely easier going into bends. The hyper needs to be taken by the scruff of the neck and pushed down in to the corner I find.

Bloody wicked fun though. The 1299 hasn't seen daylight in over a week, I keep taking the hyper out!

17. If your Pani need a run out, you know, to keep it fresh then let me know and I'll help out.

I'm very good like that.

18. Starting to lose patience a little with it now. Been out on it today and the handling really is pretty poor when pushed.
    If I'm honest I'm not very keen on the abs either. I went into one tight left handed and banged on the front . I guess the system said it was too much and the feel of the lever went form normal , to almost wooden . The harder I squeezed to brake harder the less it would brake to the point I thought I ain't making this.... I did but it was wobble wobble scrapping the stand type. I'm going to state, I'm no hero and I'm riding no harder , less so actually , than on other bikes . I had in my mind that 70 mph bends like described above would be Hyper type territory.
    My boots are on tippy toe to stop them dragging which then removes the chance of up shifts as you come out of bends.
    I'm at a junction. Do I carry on and get the suspension done , some rear sets and time learning to ride a bike like this or do I say I'm still a sports bike type rider and go back to what I know ?

19. I would say chop it in for an sp... Best of both worlds then...just to confirm... You're suspension is correctly set?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information