1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Or 1098

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by David Hales, Sep 30, 2016.

1. As it says, opinions please

2. Depends on the usage. Chuck us a bone or two of detail if you want useful replies. :)

3. Ok it will only be for fun weekend dry days, bit of fun, I have had a few bikes, two ducat is, monster 1100 evo and Ducati scrambler, currently on a heavy modified z1000 2004

4. Personally, I'd only ever go bigger.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. You sound like your wife :D

6. Although she has just gone gooey eyed over the 400 junior SS up for sale in her.

7. Unless you want to drop out of the litre+ range I'd go for the 1098. My 848 was the first time I've gone for less horses in 20 years of all weather commuting. Bit of a shock to the system having to work the gearbox up and down just cruising around, I'm used to it now but it's taken a good 1000 miles to get accustomed to the power delivery. People say litre bikes make you lazy, it's so true!

Had a go on a 1098 and it feels much more like what I'm used to. But I'm done with that class of bike now, more than happy having something more suited to road riding.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1098 and whack a supercharger on it too, just in case.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Ten nine eight every time with a streetfighter. They're all about big torque and stripped-back-sportsbike power. The 848 is great but I'd go big every time.

Disclaimer. I owned a 1098sf and loved the piss out of it.. great bike.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1098 but sort the suspension out. Standard set-up isn't up to much. A professional service and proper set-up works wonders. Personally I wouldn't pay extra for an S. The TC is crude by modern standards and with the chassis set up correctly it doesn't need it. IMO you're better off spending the extra on custom mapping to clean up the fuelling and getting the suspension working right. A steering damper that works wouldn't go amiss either..
    You don't need to do any of that with the 848. Its pretty good straight out of the box which is why some people prefer them on the basis of test rides, but apply a bit of technical polish to 1098 and that extra capacity is worth its weight in gold.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 848 is more fun and easy to ride fast. 1098 can be very lazy and seems to be less reliable - suspicion is because they are ridden at sub 5k all the time, where an 848 tends to be sub 9k

And both will need sorting suspension wise for you, and ohlins are way better than the bog std stuff. Day and night

#13 bradders, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1098S. Spend the cash, they are a hoot. You may not need the extras of the S, but I'm shallow and love the bling of the Ohlins suspenders.

13. 1098s. The suspension is better, not 'night and day' in my experience. Wheels are lighter/nicer also.
    848 still a good laugh, but lacks.....:Woot: in comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Go big or go home haha :p

15. Mine isn't...:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mine isn't eather... Mine has been rolling, power wheelieing and steering like a knife for 25k kilometers. Seen many 848s break down before this milage :p

17. You must either be only using 2 gears or riding gods :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Well, ill be a riding god then :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information