1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 Power

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by slinky848, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Wait till the big end goes, or the gearbox starts clunking, or the MIL light comes on for no reason at all.... :fearscream::tearsofjoy:

2. Also makes the tank reach around (not in a Thai ladyboy way) more difficult

3. Buy a bigger tank? :)

4. i will look into it

5. Sometimes a second hand 'Beater' tank comes up on Ebay - 20 litres and Aluminium. Not sure if the 1198 alloy tanks might be a bit bigger than yours too - worth checking.

6. so yesterday...

7. No, posted at 00.17 so today :Finger:

8. i did at first hope the 1098 tank us bigger and would fit, but im not sure id want to pay £1700 to fix it, could buy a bike for that [emoji16] have to see HOW much i love this bike this summer

9. ive seen the beater tanks of which i think is referred to.

yes theyre £1700 proberly plus postage.

but cant find some non-eaten by ethanol tanks that may be cheaper?

these seem to be the only thing on the market really

to add,
    company called 'fuelcel' make standard and larger tanks (21.27 liters) out if kevlar, they say no ethanol warping, lifetime guarantee, more robust than carbon fibre and still light.

price around £1600 bought AND PAINTED

#129 slinky848, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2017
  10. Beater are £1700 with free delivery but +20% vat and import duty too. I meant look for a second hand one - not sure if the alloy tanks on some 1198 Ducati's are bigger or not but someone will know.

11. As another recent 848 Evo owner I’ve found this thread quite amusing. To me it demonstrates vividly how outlook and attitude play such a huge part in bike preference. Consequently, I can relate to a few of the comments, I just hadn’t seen the negatives.

For example, drawing comparison to previous bikes owned, I was amazed how deceptively the 848 can put its power down. For reference, my previous road bikes where a CBR600RR, a Fireblade, and a Street Triple R. Considering the Evo is only a little down on power and torque against the Blade, I thought it was incredible how I could crack open the throttle, and let the world go blurry with no pause or fuss. I just saw positive.

Similarly, tank range, I suppose it’s not great is it! But my brain was focussed solely on making excuses. As someone has already commented, it’s only a fill up one leg of a commute earlier :) In commuter mode riding I’m getting 90-100miles before the light comes on, which is perfect for my 50mile a day commute. Positive.

I suspect the same could be extended to wider Ducati ownership; and why some people love and hate them. A couple of easily fixed minor niggles I’ve had so far are, for me, a chance to learn about the bike and gain a feel good factor from fixing things. (1. Immobiliser not recognising key due to carbon guard – After a quick search I added an improved rubber mount beneath the guard, to hold the ring in place better, problem solved; 2. Headlight out, replaced a £4 relay and learnt how to remove the fairings and nose, problem solved). Positive (but don’t test me with big end please!)

I’ve now even managed to come to the conclusion that the standard 848 gearing is actually perfect in town. Just use 1st most the time, so no need for gear charging, then Ducati ingeniously made 2nd perfect for a, lowish revs without chugging, thirty and a bit mph steady cruise to suit day to day traffic. Positive.

End result. Same ‘issues’, one besotted, happy owner; and another happyish but with a few moans and posting many negative statements.

#131 Rapide, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Sounds like you should trade it in for a 959 with a race seat.... 100+miles before the light (130 before the light my record), lighter clutch, better at lower speeds when required, no slippery seat, but still a brilliant sounding (with the right exhaust) ducati....... get down the dealers! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Or their new st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. cost cost of selling. rebuying,

and the clutch is fine [emoji23]

purly niggles. range being the only one tbh.

im making no drastic decisions, the 848 in my opinion at least of all, looks as amazing as it sounds.

959 struggles to look as good in my opinion,

hence buying the 848 not the 959

• Agree Agree x 1

15. Would you let me know please what you did here - i get that error a lot? Cheers.

16. This slightly irritating video explains it well. I used a rubber fastener mount I had from a mountain bike, instead of foam, as it just happened to fit perfectly. The important thing is to test the positioning of the immobiliser ring as it's very sensitive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. My uncles 1098 stranded us at a petrol station in Italy. He's replaced the existing shroud with his carbon one and the carbon one had no mount for the ring so he dangled it. Carbon was meant to fit over the existing shroud.

The more and more we rode, the further the ring slid down until and it got harder and harder to start until we had to wait 3 odd hours for Italian recovery. Petrol station served Peroni on tap. We had to get a hotel very close to the petrol station as we got quite pissed [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. A lot of people made that mistake!

19. The carbon key guard I inherited is a stand alone piece. The clip to hold the immobiliser ring is just a bit naff.

20. does the resitriction on the 848 restrict power in 1st and 2nd or only when you release the clutch?

or does it limit how much the throttle can open entirely?
    how does it work? as ive been thinking

Do Not Sell My Personal Information