1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

851 Oil Change - Daft Question!

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Ian, Mar 12, 2017.

1. I know this may be a daft question but is this the sump plug? I'm sure it is but it's a tad tight. Actually, it's a lot tight. I've done a few oil changes in my time but I've never needed a crack bar in the past!
    I've got a fear it may have been installed badly in the past....

image.jpeg

2. Yes, looks like the sump plug.
    Make sure you have a close fitting hex drive or it may round the recess if it's so tight.

#2 RickyX, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. Don't forget righty tightly is upside down.

4. Yes it is. Might be worth warming the area around it to reduce the torque needed to free the plug.

5. Any ideas what it 'should' have been tightened to please? Should it be silly tight as correct?

6. Thanks all. The question is do I man up and try and loosen it - or not? I feel I need to but if I'm fighting Araladite or some other equally frightening bodge it could end up going badly....

7. Armed with the above info' I got on with it. I must say that was the tightest I've ever known a sump plug! Thanks all,

• Like Like x 2
  8. Worst comes to worst Lazer tools do a reasonable cheap sump plug repair kit. But as mentioned good idea to warm engine up before having another go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. I think it was no tighter than 42NMish, but I'm not used to needing a large ratchet! Fair enough, it's a large sized bolt though. Anyhow, job done!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Don't forget to change the washer when it goes back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thread moved

12. No, he said it came out OK !!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. Badoom tsh!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information