1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Change To 190/55 From Standard 180/60 Good Or Bad Move?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Lindsay McConnell, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Plenty of threads on this and opinions seemed to change quite often. What is the latest consensus on this one?

Looking to change from the Corsa rossos to the power RS. Available in 190/55 which I believe is closest to the standard circumference with sides not as steep as the 180/60. Worried about the bike not being as sharp on the road with this fatter rear tyre..am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks in advance

2. From what I've experienced and heard the 180/60 tips in quicker and has a bigger contact patch than a 190/55. I think the only way really is to try one and see for yourself whether it makes a difference.

3. I thought about it and stuck with 180/60 in the end, I went away from Pirelli and I am glad as my 848 and 899 both ruined front tyres! I went with Dunlop Sportsmart 2's as they did a 180/60 and was really happy with them.

4. Had a few sets of sportsmart2 now and a good all round tyre for the road. Metzeller m7rr are also very good and similar in performance with a tad more feel. I'll be trying supercorsa sp on mine next.

5. I had the M7RR's on my 848 and they were superb... but they dont do the 180/60 profile thats needed for the 899.

6. I'm in a similar situation. I'm due a new set of tyres and not sure where to go! I'm heading over to spain for a trip shortly so not sure wither to get tyres suited to their climate rather than here in sunny Scotland. I dont do trackdays - only road riding. Any help/advice would be great.

7. Like the guy above get sportsmart2. Heat up fast enough for cooler weather over here and are awesome when hot for your trip in sunnier weather.

• Like Like x 1
  8. For most ordinary people out there, the difference between 180/60 and 190/55 will be as subjective as recommending a tyre. We all have our own unique riding style, likes and dislikes and the only way you are going to find out how different the change will be is to do it. It's not as if you are going to be lumbered with a tyre for very long. The one big plus point to going 190/55 is that it opens up a far wider choice of rubber. Andy

9. Decision made, ill go with sportsmart2! Thanks for your advice

• Like Like x 1
  10. Let us know how you get on with them. I've converted a few people to them and m7rr.

11. I wonder what's caused that, I've run Pirelli for years and never had the stepping you've mentioned in the past

12. Not really sure tbh but I've had it on both Ducati and my Daytona 675R, I'm not really a fast rider or prone to using loads of brake so don't know really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Is it the front that just mis shapes generally on one side? I get that too after a while. This is why I don't understand how people get 6k out of a set of tyres.

14. Maybe that's the problem? Some of the guys I ride with who are more cruisers than 'fast' riders suffer with something similar to what you're talking about.

Funnily enough my father in law who I wouldn't call slow at all but he is much more of an upright rider than myself and doesn't really lean on tyres much, he has a similar thing with his pilot road 4's.

Interesting anyhow, the Pirelli's are soft as anything which doesn't help.

15. My front Cross Rosso also has stepped after only 2500 miles. I had the Sportsmart2 on my zx6r. Decent tyre. Interested in trying the new Michelin Power RS. They do them in 180/60

16. I started this as I was told from a tire fitter the 180/60 was only made by Pirelli/metzler..turns out he was wrong and michellin do make a 180/60.

Within the first few miles of having the Power RS fitted there is a measurable improvement on the stock Rosso Corsas..not even being fully ran in yet. Bike is so more planted, feels glued to the road, when pushing on through the corners the bike doesn't skip/chatter like it did with the pirellis and also the bike wants to hold a line moreover without you consciously having to lean the bike.

I've tried a lot of tires and these are the best yet, they've been likened to as close as race rubber for the road as you can get and I would second that. Read the reviews. As for mileage we will see but I can't see them getting less than the 1600 I got out of the last rear Rosso Corsa. Highly recommend!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information