1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 - Tyres... What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by aaron0288, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Rear is cooked on my 899. Looking at going 190-55 Michelin pilot power on the rear as not impressed with the Pirelli's. Heard about possible TC problems but most say it's a non issue. Only thing is, the front has plenty of tread left. Would you swap both or quite happy to ride with a half used Pirelli on the front and new Michelin on the rear?

I know it's personal opinion but just looking to get some views.

2. You have dunlop sportsmart2 and i think pirelli has started rosso3 in the correct size

3. Always a risk mixing tyre brands as profiles may or may not work together.

my view...I wouldn't put a Michelin anywhere near a bike of mine.

4. Change both. They're not that expensive.

Maybe try the dunlops, I've heard of people being put out of the seat from tc violently shitting itself. I've also heard of people having no issues.

Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry on something that can already be dangerous enough...

Thing with Pirelli's are they're only really any good if you've got enough heat in them. If you don't hammer them, I find them pretty wooden. Once they're up though they're decent.

5. Personally, I always change both. Just put Supercorsas on mine and they have better feel than the Rossos that come on the 959 (not sure of standard tyre on 899?). I have heard stories about the TC, but personally I try not to rely on it anyway.

6. So I think that 190/55 is the ONLY size u can use other than standard, have heard of the same butt clenching issues with TC on track with 180/55. However the California track school use all 190/55 so it must be okay in this size...

Anyway, I'm also not 100%, I don't want to slow the steering and I've had great experience with Dunlop sportsmart 2's so I'm getting some fitted this weekend as my rear tyre went from shabby to delaminating in the middle in about 20 miles at the weekend so I've got enough out of mine!!

The rear has done 3k including a trackday, I did that with the Sportsmarts on my daytona and they looked like new!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. I think sportsmart 2 do them with 180/60 profile

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thread moved and title amended to suit

9. i've had the pilot power 2's for the last 6-7k, first time ove bought michelins and have to say ive been impressed

bearing in mind a lot of my weekly mileage is motorway theres been little to no squaring off and there's still plenty of tread left

you do get a strange almost rubbing sensation/sound under braking sometimes but nothing thats concerned me, didnbt realise it was to do with the TC until i just read it here

10. I thought you went for Dunlop Sportsmarts? Didn't realise you went Michelin

• Thanks Thanks x 1

11. sorry its been a long morning, yes i have the sportsmart 2s

theyre pretty good too

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've just phoned to get a price on them, can't be doing with Pirellis that are wrecked in 2.5k miles! I get that they are grippy but I never had any issues on Sportsmarts grip wise and they are like new after 4K+ miles

13. Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Sportsmart 2's are the way to go.

Red899, did you go for a different size rear then? As you mention about the TC issue...

14. No mate, bog standard 180/60

Never investigated the noise so couldn’t even be sure it’s the TC. Certainly hasn’t hindered me in any way.

15. Awesome. I'm a big fan of michelins so will likely go with them. I notice in your pic you still have the Pirelli on the front. What was it like to ride with different manufacturers? Anything noticeable?

16. Didn't notice any real difference tbh, the front wasn't on that much longer and it was toast as well.
    The front Mich supersport Evo seems to be lasting really well, no sign of stepping or cupping due to the tread pattern.

The bike just clicked over 10,000 miles at the weekend and I'm just about to fit its 5th back tyre, I won't go back to the Pirelli's now, they struggled to get much over 2,000 miles, whereas the Mich has done 2,800 so I'm reasonably happy with that and I think they really suit the 899 very well.

I think if I had a continental trip coming up I'd be tempted to shove a 190/55 PR4 on the back, I saw a tyre comparison somewhere that said it was only 13mm different on circumference, so I'll give one a try sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nice one. Yes I'm still tempted by the 190/55 option. Anyone got any first hand experience of it?

18. Can I ask why? Not trying to be funny, just interested to know.

19. To be honest mate, I don't know why! :grinning: It's just something I'd like to hear some opinions on in terms of what it'll do to the handling compared to stock.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information