1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 899s - Phase 2

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Joe P, Feb 11, 2016.

1. We've just moved house, and there is a shell of a workshop at the bottom of the garden which I have spent the first few months kitting out as a workshop/home cinema. Now it's done, I'm going to start Phase 2 of the 899S build. Late last summer I put together the bike you see below and took it over it to Jerez. Unfortunately I ran it in to the gravel and fell off. It's a bit scraped up down one side and needs a bit of TLC. It's been in my office since November last year. I'm also going to take the opportunity to make few more mods. The most significant being fitting Brembo M50s and some beautiful Ducabike rearsets. I'll update the thread as I go........

So to get us started, a couple of pictures of the workshop and bike on the ramp ready for the off....

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  2. ..hmm workshop envy :Greedy:

..not bike envy though ... I pick up my new 1299 tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Nice....

4. Maybe we should start a show your garage thread??

• Like Like x 1
  5. There's one already running

6. Just searched and can't find it. You got a link?

7. Try to search Mancave

8. Have fun! Hope the weather is nice again

9. Found it... 7 pages and only a hand full of photos!

10. So, first job has been to remove the fairings and see what's what.
    image.jpg

Top fairing and screen is going to need replacing. I went over the front as the bike slowed so quickly in the deep gravel and took the screen out, and snapped the left handlebar with my leg on the way over....that stung for a day or two

image.jpg

Gianluca at motoxpricambi is going to supply and paint me another one. Fantastic guys over there - I would highly recommend them.

The side fairing, although initially looking quite bad, started to polish out with the machine and some course compound. No broken tabs so it'll go back on.

image.jpg

Found a fair bit of Spanish gravel in there too. Going to pop the tank off to make sure none got in the air box.

image.jpg

11. Changed the front sprocket to a 14 tooth today. Real faff this job. You've got to unbolt a load of stuff to get to the sprocket, including the shock which means you have to hang the bike.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Next I offered up the Ducabike rearset. Seemed to fit pretty straightforward. Nice pieces of engineering with a clever set up so you can use a race shift pattern. Trouble is the gear lever feels surprisingly sloppy so we'll see how they go. Bought them off ebay second hand - wondering if they might be fake...

image.jpg

image.jpg

12. That looks like a ball ache of job! I've got a 46 tooth rear sprocket that Simmytt kindly gave me to try, hopefully it won't be quite as much of a nightmare.

13. Is that not going to need a longer chain?

14. Might be okay, my chain is about halfway back in the adjusters so will see, if it doesn't fit I'll save it for when I need a new chain

15. Anyone else got for a 14 tooth front sprocket? To me the gearing feels spot on

16. I have messed around with the gearing on my 899,its well known that 899's are quite sensitive to gearing and imho the standard gearing is the best all round compromise,but by going up on the back and a strong throttle it actually lifts the front wheel and thats a bit of a novelty on the 899.

17. Like my front wheel on the the floor [emoji23]

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Will be interesting to see, but I'm hoping for a bit more punch out of the corners...

• Like Like x 1
  19. That is what you will get,out of the hairpin at Donington you will wheelie off the throttle, thats quite novel,but the downside you will be hitting the limiter all the time.

20. Change the left handlebar next. My thigh did this.....

image.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information