1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8k Miles In A Year. Doable?

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Dave, Apr 26, 2015.

1. This year is my last year of warranty and free servicing on my Desmosedici. I've done 7,000 miles on it in two years and I'm wondering if I can do double that this year to get it through its big 15,000 mile service before November. This service will find any of the common issues like burnt valves and will cost me £1,000s if I have to pay for it myself in a few years time, even if no problems are found. If replacement parts are needed then the cost doesn't even bear thinking about. New valves for example are £90 a pop and of course there are 16 of them!

However, I'm wondering if I'm mad for even thinking about 8,000 miles in a year.

Do you think it is doable? I live in Taunton in Somerset but travel to London on the train most weekdays and don't get home till 8pm. I also work one weekend per month and have time away on family holidays to consider. How many dry weather days might I get? 1000 miles a month is 250 miles per week ... rain or shine. How many miles per hour might I average? I don't want to just ride up and down motorways!

If it just ain't doable I might be better semi-retiring the bike to be used only occasionally and go back to one of my others as my regular ride.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. if i can do 6k working 6days with a relatively short season then yes. saying that that's between the two bikes.

3. commute on it a few days in summer and the mileage will shoot up. Plus you get "man points" for commuting on a D16RR

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Start a share pool. We'll all add mileage for you :upyeah:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 6k is good going [emoji122]

How often and how long are you out on the bike for?

6. luckily i have a good commute when i am not bringing cars in for repair, why do they always wait for summer to take advantage of that service:mad::smile:. a quick blast is about 100mls. normal day out about 2-300 big day 500

7. Shit. Commuting is the key. Not so simple for me I'm afraid. Normally I'm running training courses at different places in Central London and I have more kit with me than I could carry on the Desmo. Parking would be tricky as well. I think I'm stuck with evenings, weekends and maybe the odd trip when I'm working outside London. I dunno if 8,000 miles/year is doable ... and if it isn't I'm probably better off not trying and keeping the mileage down.

8. move out of town, get a little helicopter and arrive in style.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. By doubling the miles on it what would that do to it's value in relation to the cost of servicing it later ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Has it got to be 15k miles, can you not ask for the big service at the 3 year mark?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I see your point but it's not really relevant. I don't plan to sell the bike, and even if I did there is a marked difference between having to shell out money and not receiving it.

Who knows, a 15,000 mile machine which has just had a clean bill of health after the big service may be worth more than a 10,000 miler with a potentially huge bill looming!

#11 Dave, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 'Fraid not - 15,000 miles it is.

13. more to point why arent you out rriding it right now?

14. Working this weekend :-(

15. I think you know you can do it ;)

I think you can do it

I have done 5,000 miles since September commuting to London and back over the weekends
    You could ride up to mine then back down to London back up to yours
    Job done :)

16. Dave, look don't tell anyone how generous I am, as you know I've retired therefore have time on my hands so will happily help you out with putting a few miles on it. Drop it off at my place and leave it to me to put the miles on it for you. No money need change hands as I'll obviously do it as a favour however I do ask that you help out when it comes time to get the oil stains out of the back of my leathers.

Thread closed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. Even better, get a track day booked, we'll all come over and keep it circulating for the entire day, if you can just supply the petrol, tyres and tea and biscuits.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. yip, worst thing you can do to any machine is leave it standing still, to be honest the boys are do doing you a favor. you really should let em use it. whats the worst that can happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Take it on a hoon around Europe, pack light and enjoy yourself. You could easily put a couple of thousand miles on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Plan your route carefully. 70 miles to a tank, is it?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information