1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Ht Leads

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ush1000, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Morning, I am replacing the OEM leads and caps on my 1993 bike. I have experience of fitting caps to leads with a simple screw thread inside the cap but I have never fitted a lead into a coil. Before I remove the existing lead from the coil, any advice would be welcome (I have bought Magnecor replacements).

Thanks

2. I fitted same leads and beefier coils to my SS and recall no issues. Iirc the coil fitting is much the same as the plug cap fitting.
    Recommend the beefier coils.
    Better starting, smoother idle and better pick up. Cured plug fouling for me too.
    @Exige does them.

3. Thanks for that, can you give me the Exige website, I can't make the link work (I am a bit of a techno phobe, hence the 900SS lol)

4. Whichever leads you intend fitting is dependant upon the inside of the coil neck as it would be in the spark plug neck.

As you have screw in type plug caps, you should be using wire core leads; and your coils should have a screw the neck like the plug caps.

If you don't have screws in the coils, you will have to fit the screw and clamp on end to the lead which just pushes into the coils.

Distributor/Coil Screw In Terminal

Hopefully you don't intend fitting carbon core leads - more flexible, but they are more likely to fail and need a special tool to fit the connector.

5. Look up ExactStart on Google or wait for him to contact you. The uaernam
    He says he's bought Magnecor.
    Are they not the copper wire type?

6. No idea - I had six spare coils plus two on the bike - all working OK, so I never needed to look at aftermarket ones.

The easiest way for the OP to find out, is look in the neck of the coil, surely?

7. Magnecor leads. I think they're copper.

8. Looking them up, they appear to be either copper or stainless steel...

They list 7mm stainless leads for a 900SS and spike type fittings

#8 Old rider, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  9. But if the leads are silicon, then probably not -

I got some silicon HT leads for my SS and they wouldn't take a screw in connection - so I just bought plain old red copper core lead instead - but I did fit NGK plugs and caps, those with the nice tight fitting rubber sleeves for the plug and lead.

I was initially reading that he had changed the coils.

10. http://www.magnecor.co.uk/userfiles/files/Magnecor_Retail_Catalogue_2017_Website_AW.pdf

11. Ive just fitted 8.5mm stuff from the US, but it needed the insulation trimming to svrew it, was too wide

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. I merely listed what Magnecor recommend for a 900SS.
    I have no clue what he actually bought and at no point did I make such a claim, although he did say he has already bought Magnecor leads for his 900SS in his original post.

Morning, I am replacing the OEM leads and caps on my 1993 bike. I have experience of fitting caps to leads with a simple screw thread inside the cap but I have never fitted a lead into a coil. Before I remove the existing lead from the coil, any advice would be welcome (I have bought Magnecor replacements).

#13 Old rider, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  13. It's unlikely, but hope the O.P. hasn't got the early more dumpy grey coils, as the HT leads don't unscrew from these and the coils will be wrecked if you tried to remove
    them. Later black "slender" version unscrew as normal.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information