1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss - White Frame Model - Is The Frame White... Or White?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Hey guys,
    Much excited as the half-faired 1991 900SS I have bought from my mate (see earlier thread) arrives tonight! It's in bits and has had various things done, biggest issued is snapped engine studs, but that's another story.
    While the bike has been apart my mate had the frame powder-coated black, and when we first discussed it I was thinking about leaving it like that, and maybe doing a special, but... well, I always had a soft spot for the red bodywork/white frame/black wheel combo, so I've pretty much decided I'm going to put her back together, pretty much as Ducati intended.
    So, long story short, I'll be getting the frame powder-coated back to white.
    Question is, what sort of white should I choose, as there are variations in white (much to my surprise). Just a look on one of the local powder coaters suggests that there is a choice of White, Signal White, Pure White, Traffic White among others. White-frame 900SSes aren't exactly thick on the ground round where I live, so I have no comparison. I've searched for paint codes online but no luck for earlier bikes. If it's not too dumb a question, has anyone got any advice or steer on it? Or shall I just take it into my local powder coaters and ask for "White please"?!
    Thanks all
    James

2. My mate has one and the frame white is so dirty after 25 years that its far from white. If you are wanting to go for complete originality then wait for someone else to answer, if it was me I would just pick a nice white, it'll look awesome regardless.

3. Try rsbikepaint.com they might be able to help as they list by make, model and year and some models also list wheel
    and frame colours

4. Welcome to the half-faired 1991 club ....or as they marketed it in the USA, 900SS CR. Mine is original paint so dirty white with the odd rust spot. Not much help to you really.

5. I rebuilt my 95 SS a few years ago in the original style, white with white wheels. After much searching i found the RAL code - RAL9016
    I had my wheels and frame powder-coated in a satin finish, I though matt or gloss didn't look quite right.
    Find a powder coater who can actually coat to RAL codes. If you are near Yorkshire, I found Yorvik Powder Coatings, very friendly and helpful

IMG_2834.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. White with a hint of pink would go well with the red, don't you think?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I had my 91 white frame repainted by Del at DW Automotive near Bristol. He used two pack paint rather than powder coat. I've no idea on the RAL code but what I can say is that it's just a very clean flat white. Not shiny but looks good when cleaned and waxed.

8. I thought the same when I was sorting mine out. Gloss looked far too shiny, and a matt finish didn't look right at all. I was very pleased with the satin finish.

9. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks all, but esp Rich and Gilps. RAL9016 is "Traffic White" and sounds just the job. And I agree, satin sounds nice. It's a shame, my mate has had the frame powdercoated in satin black and it's a really lovely job (would keep it like that if I was going to cafe it, but have decided against), but it's going back to standard. White frame/black wheels. Lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ducati Ca Cycleworks APE heavy-duty cylinder studs900, 748, 916, 996 etc 4V | eBay
    Have you got your studs yet? I import the upgrade APE studs from the USA. Subscribe to the Forum for 15% Discount :)

12. Hello mate, no I haven't yet. Bike only vFriday night (in bits) then I had people here all weekend and been working away yesterday and today. I'm taking the engine round to my local bike mechanic tomorrow for him to take a look and see if he's prepared to have a go. If he's willing then I'll be right on to you. How do I order, via PM on here? Or through your website?

13. Now a subscriber! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. PM me with address - PP Friends & Family payment to [email protected] just knock off 15% from my Ebay price

15% off belts too :Angelic: - see here:

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/exact-fit-timing-belts-forum-subscriber-discount.38123/
    Stu

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks Wolfram. Think that's what I'm going to go for, in satin. Useful to have corroboration!
    Cheers
    James

16. When I had my white tram SS I used to use Vauxhall Polar White to touch up the frame, you couldn't tell the difference.

Ford Radiant Red was a pretty good match for bodywork chips...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information