1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 959 Vs 1299 Base - Come On In

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by damodici, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Im pretty sure you guys would have been here before but i thought I'd ask anyway.

So who's been from a 899/959 up to the 1299?

I know Jolley has and possibly Belter? (think thats right)

Other than the obvious increase in power, i wondered what the road manners were like in comparison?

Ive only recently managed a 959 test so don't have any appreciation of the bigger bike

I also appreciate not all could possibly comment on the base suspension of the 1299, whereas the 959 is a one type machine.

Pricing and my own justification (ok, what ill say to the Mrs):

It would only be the base model 1299 i'd consider as theres a couple around the £13600-£14000 mark at the moment, 2nd hand 959's are between £11k - £12k

My PX value is broadly similar from most dealers and id probably try to sell privately first for a month just to eek out an extra £500-£750 for a private sale, id still be over £1000 under the cheapest comparable bike available

Its just that whilst the 1299's are still pretty big money 2nd hand, by the time you add an extra £1000 deposit the monthly payments aren't too far apart (about £25-£30 with the current dealers offer)

So ok, £1000 more down + 24 months of £30 sounds a lot, £1720 over the two years to be exact.

But considering with the 959 i would 100% 'need' to buy a new exhaust which lets say is £650 for the SC project based on todays exchange rate :Meh:

Then would you bloody believe the 959 is actually £90 more per year to insure than the 1299 :Meh: (yep, £240 for the 1299, £330 for the 959????)

Then that over the course of 2 years brings the difference down to less than £900

Bike difference:

Its not all about the money or a dick swinging contest.

Its other things a little more actual bike related.

For example;

I swear blind that the paint finish on the 1299 looks to be better than the 959 (both in Red)

That might not be accurate but I'm sure when i stood next to both bikes yesterday it looks as though the 1299 has a good few clear coat layers, almost seems thicker and more 'normal' as to what id expect. The 959 looks like it scratches easily or the clear coat isn't as thick?

Maybe thats just an impression i got because of the price difference, but it just looks like the 1299 is finished marginally better (although the switch gear still looks antiquated to me but ill get over it)

Also lets face it, the Single Swingarm looks very nice doesn't it?

However its not a 'must have' as Im not that much of a traditionalist, and you have to factor in the bloody 200 section tyres each time unless you can put on a 190/55 which i hope is the case?

Obviously having ridden S1000 range Beemers this last couple of years I'm quite accustomed to the auto blipper which the 1299 has and 959 would cost extra to fit after market

So the more i look at this, the more the 1299 makes sense even though its still fairly chunky costs in terms of a luxury item type bike (i don't commute on bikes, weekend toys only I'm afraid)

BUT.......yes thats a big BUT;

Is the 1299 a good road bike?

You see the 959 feels like a nice little bike. Its not particularly under powered per se, it just felt like you could clamber all over it and chuck it about on its ear after 30 mins of riding the thing without it questioning your commitment or skill.

Compared to the new 2016 S1000rr it felt bloody sedate if I'm honest, but the way that S1000rr makes its power, well that felt too fast for the road IMO

Almost by the time you got it moving to exciting speeds you were a fraction of a throttle turn away from a billion MPH, rocket ship is a conservative description.

But the 1299 makes far more torque than the S1000rr, so does that translate in to usable road manners better, even though both are 200bhp animals?

oh the quandary....... first world problem right here gents :Banghead:

one last thing I've just remembered, the two 1299's I'm looking at come with the seat cowl which id have to buy for the 959, so thats another £170 off the difference..........its down to £730 now gents :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think you have answered it yourself.
    I have a 1299 and I am completely satisfied with it as it came from the factory. (Apart from the throttle spacer and led screen protector).
    The 899 always left me with the feeling I had to keep the revs up all the time where the 1299 you can be lazy when you want. But when you do wind her open the smile factor is amazing. Cost of tyres doesn't come into it for me. The 200 section tyre can be had for reasonable prices and for road use the continental race attack is an amazing tyre with great grip and wear rates.
    Good luck with your decision and try to get some seat time back to back on roads you know that give you good all round riding.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Is yours a base model?

If so how do you find its road manners? Suspension ok compared to the 899?

Also is this throttle spacer something even a ham fisted lamem like myself can fit?

I still can't quite get over the fact that a 200bhp bike, which is listed as £4000 more, is cheaper to insure than the 959.

Wtf

4. 899 to 1299,to be honest normal road riding up to 7k not a lot of difference they both push on fine,paint finish on the 1299 has clear coat the 899 has no clear coat,the 1299 has tyre calibration so any tyre will work,if you can manage to get a great deal on a new bike over the winter you can now extend the warranty into the 3rd and 4th years,nicer dash on the 1299 and up down shifter and better electrics package,cant comment on top end performance on the 1299 as still running in but i am hoping it will be worth the wait,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thought as much regarding the paint finish, its a bit naughty that.

When you say any tyre, would it calibrate a 190 do you reckon?

Also is yours a base or an S? Just wondered about suspension

6. @damodici If you check my original review on my site and 1000 mile video I mention the differences I felt from the 899.

Having just ridden 28 miles in to work I would say it's an amazing road bike and the best I've ever owned. Easy to commute on and live with. I do think the ride is slightly more relaxed feeling around town as you have the torque. But, open roads or track and you need to recalibrate your brain and senses.

The standard base suspension is great once you add some rebound damping (nowhere near enough as stock). Things are lovely and balanced. I love the feel of the return stroke on the front. It's miles better than the 959 suspension and I had a fiddle with the latter to try and improve it. I'm about 85kg/13 stone and a bit with my gear on.

I wish I had the time to get my video up which covers up to 5k miles/9 months but just not enough hours in the day at the minute. It's a monster, covers everything I love, things that needed attention, changes, tyres, suspension, feeling now it's bedded in.

To summarise if i went back 12 months and was faced with the same buying decision with what I now know about the 1299 and having ridden the 959. I would 100% buy the 1299 again. I want to keep mine but I missed out on extended warranty as my bike was registered 10 days too early. I may just swap it for a new 1299 with 4 years warranty next December.

Like @simmytt says extend the warranty to 4 years and you'll be laughing.We can't be long off the winter offers appearing for the bike show. Probably free akros again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thats great to here and i watched the two videos on your youtube channel last night, hence why i got the forum name wrong :)

As for the bikes I'm looking at they're both 2nd hand, one with 1000miles, the other with 2000 miles.

My intention was to go a 24 month pcp which tri-options don't do.

Ive been offered a 2 year warranty with the 2000 mile bike to cover me whilst in term, also it'll be serviced before collection so wouldn't need it doing for 12 months.

I think after 2 years (maybe less) I'd be looking at something else anyway

Obviously the new bikes would have to be 3 year terms, plus overall much more expensive even though there 'could' be an akra involved.

Having said all that I'm away on holiday for a week from Sunday so if by chance anything slips out from Ducati in the meantime i would always reconsider.

i just think the 1299 is worth the additional id have to put down in deposit terms and monthly payments, its far more likely to keep me satisfied power wise i reckon where as the 959 'might' leave me wanting after a few months....but it is only a small might

8. Not sure if this helps matters but I have a 899 and if buying again I would buy a 1299, I had such a distorted view on whether the 1299 would be mental all the time but everything I read is the opposite. Also U have presented plenty of very good arguments for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. I own an 899 and have ridden a 1299 in anger a couple of times as well as having spent a lot of time on s1k's.

Depends what you want and like from a bike. I love the 899 because it's a great balance between power and agility. It makes it great fun rather than the rather serious experience I found you get on the 1299.

The 12 is epic and imo actually feels faster than the BMW even though it isn't. The way the power is delivered is ridiculous. It's like there's a nuclear reactor under the fairings.

You will not ever scratch the surface of the 12 on the road, and most riders not even on the track. Which can leave you feeling a little bit humble. Bit like the feeling you had at Christmas when your parents got you a BMX and then you realised you couldn't do the stunts.

Truth is they are all mega in there own way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. You made me smile with this. My dad asked me the question what's it like to ride as he can't ride sports bikes due to his arthritis. My answer was angry but with a mild mannered side. It always keeps me smiling and that takes a lot.

With the throttle spacers to take out the slop in the electronic throttle. It's as simple as 4 screws and slide on the 2 spacers. Took me under 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#10 Stripes1976, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I remember being a bit nervous of the jump in power when I went from the 675 to the 899 for a few days but I throw it about like a rag doll now so I suppose its just what you get used to. Personal preference would be a middleweight for the road though (whether you call a 959 a middleweight is another matter I guess).
    Id never swap my 899 for a 959 though. Just dont see the point.

12. lol great analogy :clapping:

13. As has been said before.......what will you be doing on it? If it's for road riding then I'd get the 959, but if it's more track riding go for the 1299.

14. Out of interest why do you want to change the tyre to a 190?

15. Sounds like you already want the 1299, but here are my views:

Paint: no difference from 959 to 1299.

Road manners: 2 differences you will notice are 1) the 1299 will struggle to go below 19mph, but the 959 is a little happier at those slower city speeds. 2) if you have the 1299 nailed on the throttle higher in the rev range it can become a bit of a beast.... but you don't have to ride with a nailed throttle all the time on the 1299, something you will find yourself doing a lot more on the 959. Other than that they will essentially feel the same most of the time.

Changing tyre profile: I know the 1299s has the tyre learning mode. Does the base model? Anyway, the 959 does not and when I changed to the supercorsas the electronics got very upset with me on a damp track. Scary indeed!

Exhaust: the 959 will need changing... extra cost to change, and a ball ache with informing the insurance company.

Basically, the 12 gives you everything the 9 can, just with more power, nicer exhaust (and swingarm? - I don't mind the double and is easier maintenance wise), and better brakes and electronics. A no brainer if you ask me, but then I've just changed!

16. Just out of interest, where does the 1199 fit in the mix?
    Would the 1199S be a better choice over the baseline 1299

17. Definitely not for the road

In terms of power delivery the 11 is like a light switch to hyper space.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. 1199 is an altogether more beastly beast from what I have read. Lovely bikes, and if you need that manic rush they are great, however the 1299 is more rideable.

19. IMO which is worthless, if you go 959 or 1299 base you will be spending loads in mods. So best option, 1299s. Sorted now.

20. IMO:
    I sold my white 899 (cracking bike) and swapped for a base 1199 for a couple of reasons:

1) I couldn't live with the red 899 wheels.

2) I was always thinking 'what if' for the bigger bikes.... which annoyed me.

I bought an 1199 instead of a 1299 because I love the fact that the 1199 is an out and out animal. And it really is.

I think the 1199 will be a future classic. - I will own other bikes, but I'll keep the 1199 forever. I managed to find one with only 600 miles on it and I'll keep it in exceptional condition, too.

I deliberately chose the base model because, given my intention to keep it forever, I didn't want to be faced with expensive electrical snags as the bike gets older. I also love the basic, raw form of the base 1199.

As for comparing to the 899 - there is no real comparison.... opening the throttle on the 1199 in 3rd gear looks like when the Millenium Falcon jumps into hyperspace in Star Wars. It is mind bendingly fast!

Buy a big bike.... 1199/1299. Put some Termis on it and keep it. You'll love it.

I honestly think that it is, and will continues to be (because of Euro4 laws), the most beautiful bike ever built...... just my opinion of course.

Enjoy!

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information