1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998r Engine?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by DRR117, Feb 23, 2017.

1. If the engine isn't an R then I would be interested :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Suspense is killing me... was it? Wasn't it?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. No it wasn't. :pensive:

5. But what is it?

6. Just a base model 998 engine.

7. Still not a bad deal in the grand scheme of things, you don't gamble, you never win

8. I also had a similar issue trying to find out about an engine. There is a telephone number on Ducati website and I spoke to a couple of different ladies who were very helpful and told me that my engine number was a 998R and matched the frame number. What they cannot tell you is the number that it should have on the plaque on the top yoke. These records were apparently destroyed in a fire. I don't suppose anyone has built up a database of numbers?

9. If nobody (including Ducati) knows, then does it matter?

10. They never knew - they just slapped them on in any order :)

11. I tend to agree with you guys. The number does not matter to me but if it becomes a rebuild project, it would be nice to have it as original as possible and it would help in that regard. I shall probably make one up!

12. Thus making it more original, as I think that's what Ducati did... :D

13. Haha! Would you like to pick a number for me - in fact if anyone else would like to pick a number, I could take an average! Very democratic!

14. Just go for no. 1, why not?

15. 998?

16. Er... 998/700? not sure that would work!! Current average 351/700

17. Is the 998 engine for sale?

18. No but there was one on ebay recently at £2500 with very little interest.

19. I've seen unpainted engines on 996R & 998s models, what's stamped on the engine, number wise?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information