1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 front brake microswitch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by psalliss, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Can anyone expert out there advise if any other models from Ducati or otherwise can be used to replace broken microswitch for front brake on my 999s

thanks

2. I had a faulty front brake micro switch on my 749s and replaced it with an o.e.m part which if I recall was about £35 and came with the cable and plug, which meant replacement was a 5 minute job.
    It hurt at the time having to part with all that money, as I did consider just replaceing the micro switch, but then I thought about having to source a suitable switch and all the associated work soldering e.t.c and in the end I'm reasonably happy I went down the route I did. Less trouble!

3. I have a used spare knocking about. Yours for 12 quid delivered. ....

4. I would snap that up psallis!

5. perfect mate. ill have it. just to make sure its the switch the brake lights doesnt come on when using the front brake but works if the wires are touched and works of the rear brake. the garage says its the switch i take it they are def right

6. Just check the bullet connectors in the cables to the switch (near the tank). mine corroded and gave intermittent failure, cleaned them up and no problems since.

7. psallis easy to conform it's the micro sw causing the problem.

disconnect the bullet connectors for the switch, and temporarily short them out with a piece of wire, this should now actuate the brake light.

btw it's not that suprising that the sw stops working after many years of use when you think how many times the switch mechanism gets used!

8. This forum is brilliant!

I had brake light failure whilst out with some mates today - although one of them thought I'd suddenly turned into a riding god who didn't use brakes :biggrin:

It was working fine from the rear brake but I rarely touch that, and I was dreading the extra cost of a switch as I've just paid out for a belt service. I saw this thread and cleaned up the connectors like T30 said and its now working perfectly. Thanks very much :upyeah:

9. The garage shorted them and light worked so sounds like switch related.

the connections I take are accessible without tank removal

10. The connections are very easy to reach, with no need to remove anything. I removed one of the rubber cable ties just to make it easier. If you follow the wire backwards from the switch you will find the two bullet connectors. You can test the wiring by shorting out the 2 female parts with a piece of wire - I used a paper-clip - if the light comes on then its either the switch itself or a breakdown in these bullet connectors. Clean up the bullets and give it a try.

11. cheers mate all fitted and working .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information