1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 28, 2016.

1. is that really the toe of a white loafer you have on creamo?

2. Sweet Jesus, no. Knackered old pair of some trainer I can't remember the brand of.

3. can we ask what the spend has been so far?!

4. More than I'd like.

5. Bad attempt at spraying this morning :-(. Think I need to do one part at a time not 4 as not enough room. Problem with bike parts is all the funny angles and shapes. Nothing is flat.

6. Spraying improving, slowly. Still rubbing off 50% of what I put on :-/

Hopefully on the road by end of this month or beginning of next......

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH-STILL SPRAYING/SANDING/FILLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead:

(Losing will to live, close to shutting down the murder room for a few weeks as i can't get the roadworthy bikes in/out)

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. you love it

9. Bit of fairing repair.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Went to clean up the air intake covers. Turns out one is OEM and the other is painted reproduction. So checked CF and £100 the pair. Nothing on eBay. Long shot, let's just see what Moto Rapido will charge......£18! Nice! Apparently if it's black plastic its not normally to bad. Who knew.

10. Finishing touches arrived.[​IMG]

11. How's the paint coming on?
    Steve

12. Slowly. Trouble is I'm 50/50 with just chucking it on and my perfectionist tendencies. It's somewhere about poor road/high quality track at the moment. It's a massive improvement on what it was though. Thing is, to fix a small imperfection requires a lot more sanding back and re priming and painting. A lot of work for a little improvement. I have the tank & 1 panel left to do then everything needs the lacquer. I'm leaving that till last so I can set up a new clean murder room. It just takes so long to let the panels dry after washing, sanding, primer and painting.

I have one part, the small front seat plastic, I can't get right and have painted about 12 times but the imperfections keep coming through. I've tried all sorts and its a right pain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. But I've learned a lot

• Like Like x 1
  14. I don't know if this will help but I was once told that it is a big mistake to use too fine a paper to sand back filler - it needs to be coarser than you'd think

15. Certainly saves you getting arms like Popeye.

16. That wasn't the point.
    This guy reckoned fine paper doesn't even up the imperfections in the same way, not just speed of working.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Very curious. Whats the science behind that?

18. Wish I knew but the guy giving the advice reckoned that fine sandpaper will tend to follow the imperfection but coarser paper cuts through it and gives a flatter result

19. I wasn't using guide coats, but should have. Am now and I can see the difference but don't have the drive to rub off all the good paint.

I have no idea what is wrong with the seat. 2 small areas have marks.

1st is if you put your finger on wet paint.

2nd looks like a railway track. About 1mm high and runs about 2 inches.

Both really weird but keep showing through primer/paint.

Rubbed back, fresh 1k filler and primer on Friday so will see how it looks today......

Do Not Sell My Personal Information