1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 28, 2016.

1. What's "substrate"?

2. The plastic panel :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tried a different brand of primer ans I think it may be ok this time......

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm thinking not leaving filler/primer enough drying time may have contributed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Been using 1k filler on this bit as only filling a few small scratches.

6. New screen. Got a small imperfection which looks like manufacturing and a couple of small marks/scratches. Only noticed after fitting the well nuts though. 90% it wasn't me but didn't give a thorough examination before fitting.

Currently fitting my perfectionist instincts with the fact it's not a show bike and will be doing 160+ down the back straight.

Nothing is easy......

[​IMG]

7. creamo random ask. who are you using for your powder coating? i need some small non bike bits done soonish so wondering if you had any ideas? ive heard good things about sprayblast in wycombe?

8. Hey
    http://www.kustomkoating.co.uk/

For no other reason than they are about 1 mile down the road.

9. Last few bits. For now........
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. The problem with painting is the bloody time it takes. Not the actual spraying, the waiting.
    Rub down, wait to dry, spray primer, wait 6hr + to dry, rub down, wait to dry, spray paint, wait 24hr to dry, rub down, wait to dry, spray clear, wait 24hr + to dry, rub back and polish.

It's not the actual physical work that is the pain, it's all the bloody waiting. A small job takes 3 days..........

Was rubbing down resprayed (2nd time) tank clearcoat this morning before breakfast so i could polish it back at lunchtime only to discover in the daylight I could see the old tank colour on a small patch about 2mm by 10mm just showing through. Couldn't see it in the garage light. Should be ready Sunday now. :Banghead:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Luckily ive only ever sprayed track bikes so the actual finish never had to be 100%, don't know if I'd tackle a road bike. Luckily we have a spray booth at work which helps immensely. You seem to have a lot more patience than me. :upyeah:

12. is very very thin...............

13. I am literally waiting for paint to dry....................

14. OK, a secret - in between the little bits of doing, you don't actually need to wait there for it to dry - you can go and do other stuff, even sleep. Happy to help :upyeah::D:Angelic:

• Like Like x 2
  15. NOW YOU TELL ME!

16. Yeh, I should have said earlier but I was being mischievous :Smuggrin:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Got impatient and put the side panels on.

Jobs still to do:
    Polish plastic and put decals on (waiting for clear to harden).
    Finish repainting tank.
    Better mirrors.
    Tidy a few little snags.

@pegboy , remember that knackered track fairing you sold me?

IMAG1196.jpg IMAG1195.jpg IMAG1194.jpg IMAG1193.jpg IMAG1192.jpg IMAG1190.jpg IMAG1189.jpg IMAG1188.jpg IMAG1187.jpg IMAG1187.jpg [​IMG]

IMAG1197.jpg

#437 Cream_Revenge, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
  18. Is Polish plastic cheaper?

I have my mirror turned in rather than out for a narrower profile but each to our own.

Nice job though :)

19. Thanks. Mirrors are temporary till i can afford these:
    Ducati Oval / Round Adjustable Bar End Mirrors - 220 Degree Fold-in

If you point the mirrors in do they not get in the way of your wrists when the front wheel goes skyward? To be honest i hadn't thought of pointing them in but they would look better.

20. Cheers. Should be getting a compressor soon do will be a different game then. This was just to get her back on road/track really but OCD got in the way.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information