1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999 Termi Replica - Exhaust Coring Revisited

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Dorset Desmo, Feb 5, 2016.

1. If you do make a few give me a shout. I have my standard can here which has been begging me to chop it up.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice job DD. Great step by step photos too. Very interesting to see what's inside the standard can. I thought mine was full of led as it weighs so much!
    Think you might be on to something here. Good luck and will be waiting for your sound tests!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tubes.png Wookie Tubes.png Did a bit more on the Zaust today so a few more pics...

Chopped the perforated tube to length, flattened and angled the outlet ends to match the Flat Oval tube outlets. They are a snug fit so I tried to keep them as tight as possible. The larger inlet side allows the pipe to slide inside about 25mm so I did this and then pulled it back out to meet the outlet.
    The smaller inlet side had to have the perf tube on the outside as it is about 5mm larger than the original pipe size. A little bit of filing to get it to fit nicely.
    Again the ARC is quite fierce but good enough to secure the already snug tubes in place.

#23 Dorset Desmo, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. Before I welded the pipes in place I laid in the original Wire Wool pad in the base of the silencer.
    Then the Yetti Hair went in around the pipes - shoved in with a Hilti Chisel and screwdriver.
    Finally I put in a top layer a Wire Wool which reminded me of Donald Trump for some reason.

Trump.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Inlet Tube.png Outlet Tube.png Here is the view through the pipes...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dems is gonna be LOUD. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. YOU WHAT?

I'm going to do a similar job on some Monster cans I've just been given along with losing 25 of their length :)

8. Tacked the lid on and dropped the Ter-my-own-y off at the welders earlier so may get it back by the end of the week. (Ha - yeah right...!!)

25 mm = not too bad
    25 % = yup that's loud much louder than before
    25 cm = Set off car alarms, shatter windows, blow cats down the road

• Like Like x 3
  9. I'm looking forward to see how it looks once the welder works their magic with the TIG machine. I have sooo got to learn to weld! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Is this aimed at me? Sorry I will translate from Bristolian.

They may well be quite loud once you have finished. :)

11. Got the Zaust back from the Welders today... He did a nice job and the weld beads look funky even though you won't be able to see them!

Underside Welds.png Underside.png

#31 Dorset Desmo, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Here are a couple with the cover on... (The "Ducati Exhaust" writing was already on the box!)

Back with Cover.png Side with cover.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. and a view down the pipe of the Termi and then the cored one:

Inside Termi.png Inside Cored.png

When I get chance I will do some sound comparisons. Have to change to standard for the MoT anyway soon.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nice work...
    My friendly MOT place don't worry about the racket from my cored exhaust. It doesn't say not for road use or whatever, so you may well be ok :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bloody phone lopped off the % symbol from my post! I like cans that are in proportion but hate silly stubby jobs that can normally be found on old Suzuki Bandits etc.

Progress looks ace!

16. Or take it to a mot place that sells Harley Davidsons and try not to laugh when they try to tell you that yours is to loud !

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nice work! I cored my exhaust too, it's not offensively loud at all. I also live in Dorset so we will have to meet up to compare noise levels

18. Looks awesome.
    Any idea how much it all cost you inc having it welded ? / Or how much you will charge for them if you are starting to sell them ?

I'm still in 2 minds whether or not to buy a bike already fitted with termis or standard exhaust(more bikes to choose from).

19. Did you fit the exhaust yet?

20. as old rider said...it don't say 'not for road use' on it, anyway my open clutch is louder than the exhaust when on tick over:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information