1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 year 2000/01 Prototype - the Evidence...

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Exige, May 22, 2013.

1. so, has it added another zero to the asking price?

2. Even more now :Happy:

3. No asking price, but it does make me wonder :Wideyed:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. That's fantastic Exige!

I've been watching your thread from the start and hoping you get a result.

You've got some amazing contacts now and no doubt this has a long way to go yet.

Keep us posted and well done you!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wow. I'd call direct contact with Mr. Terblanche a result!

6. Hello Together,

Very interesting Story! Maybe I can jump into this thread with a pre-series bike too, hopefully you don't mind...!?

Just have a look at these pictures and let me know your opinion what it is, many thanks!

011.JPG

012.JPG

019.JPG

030.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

018.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi. nice one :) I am guessing you have an 11 digit frame number on your frame? - if it is only 5 then you have one of the original prototypes of which mine is No1 :) . The engine is a 998cc (not a 999R) but labelled 999S which the bike is (production 999S were 998 on the engine number. The engines on the pre production prototypes were engraved differently to full production bikes. I have seen number 1 of the circa 30 pre production prototypes for sale recently and that also had a round petrol filler cap but most by this time had the 999 shape. You also have a very early airbox too. Obviously the bike has been upgraded - do you still have the prototype forks as in my pictures? Number 12 (ZDM10101012) was for sale a month ago too but wrongly advertised as an R model due to the engine number confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hi Exige,

The Frame number is ZDM0101316. so could it be that this is one of the latest pre-series bikes? Furthermore I have not found too much information about 999 Marlboro race bikes at all...bit confusing:tonguewink:

9. Not seen a 10 digit number before, all I have seen other than my 5 digit have had 11 digits - with EU production bikes having 15 digits. The bike has been heavily modified since it was doing it's job as a prototype so the paint is just as someone wanted it. Mine was converted by Ducati Corse and painted as a promo bike later in it's life. How long have you owned it and did you get any previous story from the last owner?

10. This bike was offered to me some days ago (in a package with some others) and right now I'm figuring out if it makes sense to add it to my small collection.
    There is no more history available up to now, so this is the reason why I'm trying to find out what it is. The condition is very good, very low milage (approx. 600 km), engine running etc...

11. Depends what you have in it financially - in the future they will certainly be collectable but more so if they were still standard. You will never be sure of the mileage, no matter what it shows on the clock as these bikes were undoubtedly made to put miles on to iron out problems early.

12. That's true, but at least the visual impression of the bike is really very very good.

The seller knows that his version is not normal, therefore he's asking for a slightly higher price than a standard 999S which was converted into a race bike. I think the price is reasonable, especially seeing that some guys were (trying?) to sell a pretty similar pre-series bike at the Novegro fair in Italy, asking for 25.000 Euro:flushed:
    But as you know, asking for a high price is easy, getting somebody to pay that price is much more difficult (and I would never pay this amount):tonguewink:

13. Have you bought it yet, Stu? @Exige :)

14. I was looking at buying the miss advertised R (999S) got the deal done when they still thought it was an R - waiting for a re offer but the guy has gone quiet.

15. This week I will travel to Italy...with an empty trailer or van...and on Sunday I'm hopefully back with one or even two 999 :grinning:

• Like Like x 4
  16. ZDM0101016 is loaded into the trailer:tongueout:

Very nice bike, near to perfect condition, incredible sound:hearteyes:

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. More photos when you get home,

18. Well done :upyeah: still confused about the 10 digits, I know where ZDM01010106 is and 09 and 12. Does it have a blank engine number or is it stamped? If stamped it will probably say ZDM999S***** unlike the production bikes.
    Get them pictures up :upyeah:

19. ...my pulse is starting to race already in anticipation...

20. Back from Italy, driving through the first snow...

The engine number is stamped:
    ZDM999SW0102

What is more difficult to read is the frame number, should be:
    ZDM0101016

018.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information