1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999s randomly won't start

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Kage, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hi Ducati fans/owners

My first thread and it's a question regarding the start up of my bike. My 2003 999s sometimes won't start. It's not the battery as it sits on a trickle charger inbetween use. It gets frustrating when I'm planning a ride and the bike won't start. It won't turn over. It seems to be immobilised and when the start button is pressed the engine light flashes on the instrument panel.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards.

2. Hmm.....I had that issue and it could be a number of things....one......your alarm.......two, the condition of your battery, ignore the trickle charger, thirdly, your sprag clutch or fourthly, a prob with the "continuous start" system it has on it......mine was a combination of all four.......battery was duff, depite being on a trickle charger, sprag was working intermittantly, alarm was a Datatool Evo and the ball in the tilt switch had drained all its fluid ( which they all eventually do btw...) and I had to bypass the continuous start facility....so hope that helps !

3. David you mention one of your problems with your 999 not starting was the ball in the tilt switch had dried out.

I recently posted about my 749s not starting when I had it in for an M.o.t, and mentioned that the tester had put the bike on an Abba stand to enable steering head bearing checking, which resulted in the bike being tilted in a head up rear down position and I queried whether of not this might have some influence on the bikes refusal to start.

After putting the bikes refusal to start down to the bike being flooded, I wonder if indeed it might have been a tilt switch activation issue. I would welcome your thoughts.
    Ps sorry for the hi-jack , but it's relevant to the OP and might help someone.

4. Thanks nogaromill. Certainly some areas to check. I'll start with the battery and see if a new one helps. Any recommendation on the best one to go for. Other than the battery, I don't know what the 'sprang' or 'continuous start' are.

Thanks once again.

5. Ok, when you press the starter button, it SHOULD rotate for about 7 seconds or until the bike starts even when you let go of the button......mine wouldnt disconnect so had to be bypassed.....means the engine light is on but a piece of black tape over that solves that......the sprag clutch is on the back of the flywheel....allows the engine to turn one way when you start it......I use a dynavolt gel battery if you need one let me know, I sell them too......when you disconnect your battery measure the voltage on it.......

6. Hi Crystaljohn.......do you have a Datatool alarm then ? If you open the box itself, you'll find a ball inside it which should be filled with liquid......sadly, that fluid drains out/evaporates/dries up.....and then wont work at all.....I bypassed my alarm as you cant buy another ball........

7. Continuous start-I see. I remember seeing someone's 999r doing that. My 999s doesn't. I have to keep my button pressed down. Do I have a fault? Has it been bypassed? By the way, my bike has also cut out before whilst I've been out. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it won't. I'd really like to get this sorted as it makes me nervous when I'm out and about, and frustrates when it prevents me from getting out.

Thanks

8. ALL 749/999 models had the continuous start...so if yours hasnt, something isnt right........and if your engine management light is coming on, its a strong possibility its somehow connected to the problem......

9. A common problem and an easy fix is the immobiliser antenna (it sits under the ignition barrel cover) and has been known to slip down, away from the key & the embedded chip it needs to detect.

It looks like this: screen-capture-3.jpg Number 3 in this pic: screen-capture-4.jpg

screen-capture-3.jpg

screen-capture-4.jpg

#9 BaggaZee, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. David I have a Datatool system3 alarm installed on my bike, Reading the handbook only mentions 'Movement and Nudge' nothing about 'tilting though!
    I will open up the alarm and have a look for the ball.
    Thanks for the help.

#10 CRYSTALJOHN, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  11. Hey Nog

I check this with my dealer. According to them not all 749 / 999 models had the continuous start feature. He couldn't confirm which model or years but seem certain.

Any way, new battery ordered and I'll be ivestigating the immobiliser suggestion from BaggaZee.

Cheers guys.

12. If that is the case....I would have thought that a dealer would know or be able to check which years or models had it and which didn't. :frown:

13. They all had it. Why would Ducati build some one way and others another way? Thats like him saying some 1098's had it and some didnt.

14. I've checked the owners manual for the 2003 & 2004 model and in the starting section it states:

Never operate the electric start button more than 5
    seconds at a time. If needed, allow 10 seconds before
    attempting to restart the engine.

In the owners manual for the 2005 model it states:

This model features servo-assisted starting. Press and
    immediately release the start button (3) to use the servoassisted
    engine starting function. When you press the
    button (3) the starter motor operates automatically for a
    MAX time determined by engine temperature. The system
    disengages the starter motor as soon as the engine starts.
    If the engine fails to start, wait at least 2 seconds before
    pressing the start button (3) again.

To me that means the that a standard system was installed on the earlier bikes and the continuous system fitted around 2005 onwards.

15. Nope...mine is an 03 and has it......

16. My Feb 2003 registered 999 did not have the continuous start. I then had the ECU replaced and the bike had continuous start.

17. Original ECU? Not re-flashed? Seems odd that Ducati don't mention it till later and the dealer seemed certain not all models had it.

18. Original, not reflashed.......

19. Guess that proves not all machines had it......Hopefully that will help the OP with the diagnosis.

20. My 999s had the same problem. I first of all replaced battery then alarm system followed by the sprag clutch. Problem solved. It starts first time every time now. Following it being sorted I was given some valuable advice from Chris at North west motors and that was press the start button and let it go through it's sequence, do not hold it in waiting for it to start which is apparently what knackers up the sprag clutch

Do Not Sell My Personal Information