1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 About To Buy A 2012 - Tips & Advise?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Dear Ducatistas :)

after riding a DVT some months ago and felling in love with it, against all expectiations....
    [​IMG]

...today I visited someone I met on a Dutch Multi facebook group that is selling his 2012 Multi S.
    (20 back operations, cant be fun to ride anymore :( )

I previously set my mind on buying a low milage 2013-2014 model due to its more recent model year (= should be more reliable?), and mainly because of the minor technical adjustments to the engineblock which would make it more easier at lower revs.
    Double-ignition for each cylinder and such..

Plan B is a Honda Crosstourer with DCT.
    I had already tested one for 2h, but did not get the chance to ride it on the highway unfortunatelly as I wanted to discover its windprotection and especially its pickup since its a high torque bike with a flawless DCT transmission.
    Yes, I am a fan :)

Normally one model would be free after mid April, and in the case that testdrive does not convince me, I will buy the black Multistrada 2012 S I visited today.
    [​IMG]
    [Youtube]

Price slightly below 10.000 euro.

46.000 km
    Engine was completely (and free) rebuild by Ducati because of a broken connecting rod :/
    Almost everything was renewed: crankcases, cylinders, heads, pistons, gear box, crank ... so apart from the clutch and starter everything is brand new.
    The rebuild was done at 36.000 km, so the engine as it is now, only seen 8.000 km, so its almost new actually.

options:
    - all cases (top and side cases)
    - heated grips
    - quick release Givi tankbag
    - full Termignoni line worth 2050 euro
    - beautiful aftermarket Xenon lights
    - comfort saddle and lowered saddle
    - rexxer mapping, default map
    - some Rizoma parts here and there, including engine guards, CNC linkage pump
    - additional USB ports (one at the handlebar, one under the saddle)
    - GPS holder above the dash
    - battery connection
    - full service book, from a know reputable dealer

The bike is really clean and was not ridden in winter.
    He started it and everything looked perfect.
    Seller even offered towards the end a spontaneous test drive..

minuses:
    - slight scratches on left tupperware, from a drop apparently
    - storage box to the right doesn't close nicely :)
    - I personally am not a fan of the manual adjustment of the windshield, while it was updated in the 2013-2014 model ...

No semi-active update of the Ohlin suspension, only thing that is not there.

Although I previously opted for a low milage 2013-2014 model, this has too many options to ignore.
    And the recently completed engine overhaul is obviously a very positive point.
    Also the owner said with the rexxer mapping + the open exhaust it runs smoother than a standard 2013 to 2014, which I could believe :)

Are there things I forgot or overlooked here?
    So, normally after the Easter holidays I should rent a Crosstourer for 2h, then I would ride to the seller of the Multi, ride the Multi and make a direct comparison..

Thanks in advance!

2. Renting the Crosstourer and riding it to the Multi test ride and back again will decide for you ....... In my opinion there is no comparison between the two ;)

Open the throttle in both through the gears .....and i mean whack it open .... one you will think, "this has good pick up and has a really smooth engine" .... on the Ducati you will laugh and hang onto the bars as the front wheel goes light and the digital speedo rapidly approaches and passes 160 kph with ease and keeps going :D

Looks like it has all the kit you would need and at 46000 miles it would be close to second desmo and belt service but as its a complete rebuild 8000 km ago as you said there are less engine service issues to worry about. At that life its wheel and head bearings and all the usual wear issues around the suspension and drive areas you now need to be looking at

Also as a non skyhook bike then the usual DSS sensor failures that have been a pain for us 2013 owners wont be an issue for you

• Like Like x 1
  3. thats the plan, whacking it open ;)

I did it on the DVT, at the highway of course and there I fell in love.

I got some video footage of that day, only I'd have to edit the shit out of the footage because I was breaking speedlimits all day...

So yeah, still curious to see how the CT responds to the whacking, and the modified Multi afterwards....

4. Had a similar quandary recently couldn't decide between a crosstourer. Africa Twin or Multistrada base model after several road Tests on all of them i went for the mutly haven't regretted it the bike is awesome

• Like Like x 1
  5. My personal choice would be to wait for a DVT rather than the T/S, not ridden a cross tourer though.

6. T/S is that the name given to the 2010-2014 modelyears?

7. Sorry @Riko , yeah Twin Spark. I had a 2013 twinspark and after a test ride on a DVT ordered one straight away. Some people prefer the power delivery of the T/S, but for me the DVT makes the bike practical without sacrificing any of the fun. It's just as quick but your not up and down the box all the time when your in town or traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. actually the one above is a single spark 2012 model.:)

However, there seem to be things going on that should make it much smoother, especially low down.

Full termignoni exhaust line with a rexxer map.

Owner said this makes it smoother than a twin spark and the difference with a DVT can't be huge after that mod...

9. Hi. I have the 2011 model so practically the same. Also have the termi system. While it does not make the low end perfect, it does make it better.

There are few things to check for. Check the end of the front forks to see if there are any cracks. See if the servo valve inside the end can actually works. Mine was seized shut from sitting too much and would not budge. I had it completely cut out. It's not a bad thing to do anyway and it won't show any Errors. Check for any DES errors when changing between various combinations of modes. While I do get errors from time to time, they are not permanent. Restarting the bike brings it back to a baseline from where it can adjust itself. (It is basically forgetting what setting it is at). I love the Ohlins shocks and I added the semi ECU. I don't know what it does differently anymore since I don't remember how it was before but it does make a subtle but significant improvement. You basically want it. It is the best money you can spend on this bike.

What did you think about the WIIINDDD NOOIIIIISEEEE? It is the achilles heel of this bike if you ask me.

Having said that, if I were buying today and there weren't a huge gap between the prices, I would buy a newer model. Also, in my country nobody would buy it from you because of the rebuilt engine. Something to think about if your local culture is as backwards as mine.

As for the Honda Touring. I loved it when it first came out but comparing the two bikes is an insult to both. :))

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Thx a lot man!

However it seems only the 2011 models can suffer from this crack and an official recall has been released.

And about the rebuild, you have to be crazy to only see the odo meter and ignore the recent rebuild done by a Duc dealer.
    The bike has been at the dealers for about 5 months.
    There are also official papers from the rebuild.
    This bike has an almost new engine as far as I'm concerned ;)

Good tips btw, i'll keep em in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  11. My only question would be the price, I bought a 2012 S Sport with full luggage Ducati Sat Nav 5,000 miles for about the same price you are paying. Mine had all the recalls done and a full Ducati service history. While the one you are considering has had the rebuild there will be other wear and tear issues. Plus you think it's been dropped. There's always plenty for sale so make sure you look at plenty, I looked at 8 before buying mine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Another new visit yesterday:

[​IMG]

2014 standard model, so no S model.
    Completely stock.

No special options other than:
    - centerstand
    - heated grips (not installed)
    - side lugage (no topcase)
    - engine guards
    - gps holder on the clamp

Second owner who owned it for about a year now and rode it for 10.000km in that year.
    Now 16.000km
    No issues and maintained at the same dealer as the 2012 model I visited last weekend.

Dunno, the way this one looks, its alsmost showroom stated perfect as well as the 2012, so its clearly well maintained, mind you, he is a motorocycle cop! ;)

Makes the choise a lill bit more difficult, go for the 2012 with all those options thats makes it go like a 2013/2014?
    Or just go for this 2014 model?
    And do I really need the electronic suspension?
    I've read a lot that the difference can hardly be felt, othe rthan riding to the extreme or with 2up (wich I wont be doing)
    Also: Less electronics, less worries.

If his prices wasnt so steep, I'd already get it, dont even wanna testride the Crosstourer for the 2nd time....
    He asks 13.000 euro.
    He can go down to about 12.000 I think.
    The 2012 owner asks 10.000 and can go down...

Should I jump on the red 2014 if I can make him go as low as 11.500??
    Or should I take the 2012 for 9.500-10.000 no matter what?
    :tired:

As it stands now I'm still awaiting for the CT to be available to do some highway high speed riding...
    This were the roads we were riding last time:

#12 Riko, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  13. Keep looking buddy. I would always go for an S model they seem to hold the value better and sell a lot quicker when you come to sell it. Here's my baby

IMG_2041.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. There is one owner left who is on the wait list, on paper the best yet! :)
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 s, Motoren, Brakel | Kapaza.be

A 2013 model S.
    All cases.
    Heated grips.
    only 6500km
    With papers.

Price is 13500, but can go down.
    Not as far as 11.500 though, I've tried :)

Owner is on a work trip and should be back now, and when back he'd replace the tires and give me a call to come see it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. its most probably gonna end with something else. :)

a DVT 1200 S with 11.000km and full option
    Was a demo bike from again the same reputable dealer as mentioned a few times above (it seems everybody in the country goes to him for their Duc :) )

14,000 euro

and together (me, seller and dealer) are figuring out how to get additional 2 year Ducati warranty since the bike is privately owned.

This easter Monday I'll go visit the bike...

whats funny is I rented this bike for half a day last year and that was the starting point for everything :)

16. DVT S is a better bike for the money. The Warranty is worth the piece of mind if you can still get it (I think there was a limited time to buy this, so you may not get it)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. 2 year warranty would be great if you can get it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. yeah indeed, there can only pass maximum one year since registration untill you can get the warranty

its past that year

but if the bike come from an official dealer, he can sell the bike with warranty
    so the dealer and the seller are trying to find a way to make it happen

something in the sence that the seller gets the money he wants
    bike goes to dealer that "sells" it to me and that way I can buy the additional warranty

There was even a second dealer that wants to do it that way under the condition that I go to him for maintenance, he is my plan B if it wouldnt work out with the first dealer.
    This second dealer also has a good reputation.

At the moment I'm waiting for word from either the seller or the first dealer.
    And like said, monday I'll visit the seller.
    Will post some pics, and perhaps maybe another vid :)

19. So this is the one! :grinning:

I couldn't help myself and made as much material as I could, to make the wait a lill bit more bearable :)

So in short, I have to wait untill the first dealer has some sort of confirmation from Ducati concerning the extended warranty...but that should be a formality.

Countdown towards 29th of April has begun, T Minus 14 days! :fearscream:

20. T minus less than 1 day!! :sunglasses:

IF (normally) the plate arrives tomorrow, I'll pick it up and bring it straight to the dealers immediately....not for Ducati reliability issue :Angelic: but for the second oil change and for some recalls that had to be done.
    Hopefully they'll be able to do all the work by saturday...

Anyway, thus far the communication with the dealers has been spot on.
    They even send me screenshot of what the recall history was of the bike:
    [​IMG]

When they asked when I preferd to have the bike back ...
    I told them saturday of course, but also not to hurry since I had a experience with mechanics doing half a decent job that almost had life threatening consequences.
    Fuel line wasnt properly reconnected after installation of heated grips on my CB1100 from the dealers...after some miles it broke...and I was spilling fuel all over the place, luckely I didn't catch fire....

:Muted:

Anyway, expect to see some footage of me picking up the bike :upyeah:

#20 Riko, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information