1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Abs Questions

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Taylor, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Done a search but couldn't really find what I was after, apologies if I'm just being daft.

I've got an 62 plate base model 1199, only been riding for just over 2 years and treat myself last July after I realised my zx6r was getting left for dead on the straights by my mates on our Nurburgring trip.

Anyway, this is my first big bike and one with electronics and ABS. As I'm not called Valentino I leave ABS in setting 3 as i get used to the bike and improve my braking as a rider.

I've played around with trying to lock the rear but still building up my confidence in the brakes to push on with the front. Is it as easy as grabbing a fist full of brake and letting the bike work it's magic, or do I still have to worry about pulling an unwanted stoppie, also what's it like lent over. Are the older models as good as some of the reviews of newer bikes when you can still grab some front brake while cornering (not interested in trying this myself just curious)

Sorry for the small novel

2. Seek track instruction would be my recommendation mate.

The real skill in my opinion of riding fast isn't the riding fast bit. It's having the ability to feel what's going on, understanding to the full extent what your input is doing to the Bikes behaviour and above all else be able to iron out things when the bike is on the limit and things are going wrong.

Stay safe

3. As above, getting a bit of track instruction will do the world of good. The 62 model doesn't have the gyro like IMU systems that the new bikes have so it doesn't know if you are doing a stoppie or wheelie or whatever ( I think it just works on front/back wheel speed differential?). The wheelbase is fairly long on the Panigale so accidental stoppies are usually not too hard to control and on setting three the ABS will kick in early anyhow. On track the ABS is quite intrusive when it is set on 3 and you feel it on most hard braking zones without the back end in the air. The bikes at the california superbike school at Silverstone are set like this for safety.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information