1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On Trackday Pressures .

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by DjM, Sep 14, 2016.

1. BT16s I found great tyres that were quite easy for pressures, i.e. a few PSI didn't seem to make much difference. 30/28 I used to set mine at, no problem (cold) and 32/34 road.

I did find they are too easy to get to the edge of this and very slow turning
    943233_10201442837741701_248548923_n.jpg

#21 bradders, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. Tbh I thought I had wrecked them lol .
    I just wondered why the tyre wear looked so different to when I ran at brands , seems to be Alot more rubber balling which I didn't get at brands . Maybe just the surface at lydden the track does need a proper resurface in my opinion . Round the devils elbow has probably 3 or 4 repair patches and a filled hole right where you want to be !

3. Yesterday I found they turned in fine but I really struggled to hold the line .. mid corner going abit wide and losing grip in the front , I felt like it was starting to slide out from under me alittle .
    Had a couple of moments where it properly put me off balance at lean so had to stand the bike up abit mid corner .
    Struggled to get proper heat in the tyre all day , got them very warm yes but not hot and sticky like they were at brands last month .

4. Ignore above its early . Your tyres are really more of a sport touring tyre with quite a shallow profile you'll find it feels so much better with a more track focused tyre & use tyre warmers a lot easier to monitor pressures . As for mid corner issues could well be suspension 999's have to much sag in the rear generally making it squat too much & run wide , as for turn in they have quite a long wheel base so bring in steering head angle really helps & finally if you intend doing more trackdays junk the rear shock there not the best & probably over 10 yrs. old + plus fork service , i have some trick parts for these if i can be of any help please call Paul on 07733174990

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I'd agree BT16s are more sport touring these days, although there was a time they were standard fit on gsxr1000 sports bikes. I didn't like them on track, but road and occasional trackway they were awesome. Try some SCs or another proper sports tyre and you won't go back...

I'd prefer PR4s now tbh, they did as well on a dry track and were mega on a wet road, and on the road they really sharpen the handling up on my multi.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Cheers guys all useful points .
    I will get the suspension checked over in the winter .
    As for tyres I'm open to suggestions , although I think I'd need the holy grail of tyre's haha .
    How I use my bike is as follows ..
    I do love a track day ( a new addiction ) but I also ride with a pillion very often , wife Love's a bike ride and does like abit of lean angle bless her lol .
    So what is out there that would meet my needs ??
    Battlax s21 ?
    I'd rather not have to buy another set of wheels and have two sets of tyre's if it can be avoided.

7. Maybe the m7rr 's would be worth a look?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I'll have a look at them now then

9. a lot of the multi guys like them, good al round weather tyre but more sticky that BT16s and other sports tyres

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Well I never ride in the rain , the bike is a pure pleasure toy tbh .
    So not overly worried about wet weather performance .

#30 DjM, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  11. PR4s are this good in the wet, imagine the dry ;) lol

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 22.23.08.png

12. dam .. now that's a wet track day :grin:
    do you have a link for the tyre's your recommending Bradders ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Used Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corse on my Monster 1100 Evo a couple of months ago at Cadwell, recomended pressures from Mark at Holbeach Tyres was 27r 31f. (Cold). image.jpeg

14. I think the sports may be the ones CSS use their hire fleet

If so they were ok when I used them, but tbh no better than the BT16s, in fact I had less grip I'd say on the rear (TC on hire bike was on every corner)

15. not so good then as i want more grip not less :eek:penmouth:
    i think the rosso corsa seems favorite at the moment.
    What sort of mileage are people getting ?? 1500 or so would be ok .
    is that expecting abit much ?

16. I'd be disappointed at less than 2.5k on those. Altho all pirelli seem to go from loads to bare belt in 100 miles in the centre

17. Think you will find css use the wrong size tyres on there 899/959 fleet,that will upset the tc and it will activate more than normal.

18. @bradders cheers for all your help/advice top man :thumbsup:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information