1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Air Filter Advice Please

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by manx999, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Guys
    Just wondering what my options are regarding the airfilters
    Its a 05 999 Bip,over the winter I have fitted a silencer from a 999r which is a lot less restricted than standard and a decat horizontal front pipe
    Not looking to set the world alight these were done mainly for noise reasons
    Air filters are foam with plastic cage and are filthy,I also have some others which are just mesh,no foam ,no plastic cage
    Do I clean and reoil the foam ones
    Is there any risk engine damage wise to fitting the less restrictive mesh ones
    Or fit new aftermarket ones eg Pipercross
    Thanks in advance

2. Pipercross seem to be the most highly regarded.

They are reusable and the cone shape gives them a large surface area for extra flow.

3. Does pipercross give any performance benefits over OEM?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

4. It certainly is supposed to give better filtration for at least equal flow, maybe more flow.
    If there is more flow, presumably any extra airflow can be be converted into more performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Might be useful if you post a pic of the mesh one as it might be the correct one for that end can.
    Give all of your filters a good blast out with some air and just try them, you may need some slight adjustment to the TBs if it doesn't run right.
    If you get problems put the original silencer back on see how it runs.

6. Iirc, the Ducati Performance filters are supposed to be rather like the description but don't have a great reputation for efficient filtration.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. That is true as you can easily see straight through them, depends on how much air one needs, but yeah he should clean and try the foam ones first,

8. My 999S had Ducati performance filters in when I purchased it , they are mesh (much sought after I understand ) When I saw the filtration capabilities of them I purchased Piper Cross items !
    The bike has not run any differently ( it seemed to run rich anyway ) but I can be sure there is some filtration going on .

9. Thanks to everyone who replied
    I have to admit the mesh ones filtration capabilities would be a concern
    Maybe Pipercross is a happy medium between filtration and performance
    Next question
    Where's the best place to get them,prices seem to start from around £85 ?

10. DP filters are just like K&N and work the same way, its a mesh filter with an oiled cotton lining. If you use any hi flow filters it will affect the engine set up and will drive a proper ecu set up if you want to take advantage of the increased air flow capability, if not they are not worth the expense. For reference here is a pair, they probably work better than the standard ones and certainly as well as similar K&Ns, have to say when I washed these with K&N filter cleaner you could not see through them 999s.jpg
    999f.jpg

11. D P ones ?

12. They certainly are, if you look closely you can see "Ducati Performance" moulded onto the plastic, they came from Pro Twins in Ducati packaging and Ducati Part Numbers. The photos were taken before they were cleaned btw

13. Looked at mine today and I have the DP ones. Spoke to Chris at CJS who is mapping my bike end of May and he said DP or pipercross makes no difference but to buy and fit whatever I'm going to stick to before the mapping.

So stick with the DP or buy pipercross????

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

14. In my opinion the P C ones will give better filtration , but I have no evidence to support that .

15. My DP ones match the ones in the photo posted but there's no sign of any cotton liner just straight through mesh so will have a go with the Pipercross
    Thanks for your time

• Like Like x 1
  16. Please let us know how you get on with them. Tempted to get some myself...

17. Well, I got some Pipercross filters and fitted them today.
    What a nightmare...

I had terrible trouble getting the air-runner bolts back in, especially on the right-hand side, where the coolant overflow tank is attached to the air-runner.

The one upside is that I did find that I could actually top up the tank to the correct level with it off.... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  18. Yes , its a bit confusing replacing the tube bolts , they go in at an angle rather than what appears to be 90degrees !

19. I've done it before with the standard filters with no problems. The extra thickness and squidginess of the Pipercross filters made it really difficult to align everything

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. How did you get on with this, @Cream_Revenge ??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information