1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Air Runners, Air Filters And Intake Sound

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Old rider, Feb 28, 2017.

1. I have the standard runners and foam filters in my 999 and I find the intake sound to be rather less impressive than that of the 750SS I had previously, which sounded wonderful once the airbox was opened up,

I was pretty much resigned to this until I saw a reference on here recently to air filters making a difference to intake sound.

Does anyone have any experience of this??

OR

2. You can't get much intake noise with such long (and small) runners.

3. That's rather what I thought but I was given a ray of hope by something on here, can't remember where it was though...

Btw, I was wondering if the air runners produce more power at speed than at rest - ie more power than would show up on a dyno, thanks to the ram effect.

Any thoughts??

4. Fair enough.
    Does the ram effect at speed increase the pressure in the air-box and give a form of forced induction though??

5. Didnt notice any extra noise when I put dp filters in my 999.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Neither did I with oversized carbon runners. Running Pipercross filters.

7. OR - your exhaust is too quiet so you filled in the perforated internals and now your air intakes aren't as loud as "the good old days". Have you checked the batteries in the hearing aid recently? ;)

8. PARDON???

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thinking of going over to Pipercross. The cage type oem ones are rubbish

10. why and what way are they rubbish?

11. I'm guessing they are a pain to clean?

12. Yes and they are very flimsy - clearly designed to be replaced each time. You can clean them if you are super careful with them but they're far from ideal

13. OR, some of the jap manufacturers (Kawasaki for one) quote a different power output due to the ram effect of forward facing intakes. I had a ZX6R B1H a few years ago (which was a nutters bike like Kwack 2 strokes were in my youth) the power increase quoted was around 8-10% which gave it quite a peaky power delivery in the lower gears as the speed increase and ram effect became more pronounced. It used to start raising its front end in 2nd when you gave it the beans. The problem was the bike only weighed 162kg and had around 125bhp. It started to lift at 85mph in 2nd at the top of the power curve. Being a Kawasaki as soon as you got the wheel down again it used to start shaking its head -no damper fitted, it desperately needed one. It was fun but ultimately too much 'fun' for me so I swapped it for my 748, best thing I ever did and probably saved my life!
    Anyway, if you change to DP filters they are similar to K&Ns and can be cleaned then re-oiled for reuse, they used to come with the not for road use Termis. Not sure whether they are better than stock but at least they can be reused

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Mine had D P air filters when I brought it but looking at the mesh they are made of they are not meant to enhance engine life through efficient air filtration .
    I replaced them with Piper cross which are cleanable but looking at their construction will actually take some debris out the air .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Replaced my OEM ones with Piper Cross......certainly look better from manufacturing/cleaning point of view and have to say I noticed an increase in intake noise straight away.....all good stuff...result...

• Like Like x 1
  16. I found fitting a right pita, as the thick flanges mean the angled bolts no longer line up.

17. Mine fit fine... Using non-original air runners though.

18. Nope all sweet with mine, always a smidge of a fiddle due to the angle and positioning but loosely locate all three bolts then nip up....no worse than OEM to fit and no plastic frame to restrict air flow...

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information