1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Anyone On The 1200r Yet

Discussion in 'Monster' started by spanish, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Collected on Saturday from Seastars. Was looked after well. Termis were fitted after all and what a 'soundtrack'. Certainly adds to the bike. They also supplied an optimate lead fitted as standard and of course datatrack.
    Amazing bike and everything if not more than expected. Arranging 3M Ventureshield for the tank and probably grip puppies to throttle grip- all used on my Multi. Need to remove those ugly reflectors- dealer would not do in case damaged paint on ohlins. I gather not a problem with WD 40 and dental floss. Also need to explore subframe under seat to allow soft luggage. And of course more riding!
    Off to Spain end of week on my Multi at the end of the week so lots to look forward when I get home. Will then. Have to make a decision as to whether to hold onto the Multi or sell.

2. Spanish, I too have a Multistrada and a Monster R. I think they offer a good balance - an everyday bike and 'something for the weekend'.

3. Good one spanish - you'll love it I'm sure. I've got two bikes too....1200R & a Trek mountain bike :tearsofjoy:

4. My R should arrive in June, cant wait.
    Has anyone fitted the tail tidy yet, and if so which is best?

are Termis the only option for exhaust?

5. I've looked for 3M tank protection but couldn't find any for Monster 1200 series

6. Had my Multi done by a guy called Ben who had just started up doing 3M protection in Cambridge 3 years ago. Did things well. I spoke to him last week (now called Ultimate Auto) and he said could do the tank of a 1200 monster for 50£ any time after the 7th June.
    Trip to Spain postponed as we were crossing to Caen and the b French are causing havoc with fuel supplies. Now travelling Santander both ways a few week later. Brittany ferries have been helpful.

7. Shame about your trip to Spain being delayed, it does look a bit chaotic in France at the mo'.

I'd be interested to hear what the tank wrap goes like.

Anyone else noticed how easy the paint 'scuffs up' around the crotch area of the tank. I was thinking of having a couple of layers of clear coat sprayed on (I understand Ducati have stopped applying a proper think layered topcoat due to cost cutting - nice!) You'd of thought for the hefty price tag Ducati charge, they wouldn't have scrimped on this. Maybe the 3M wrapping would be a good alternative.

On another note, my R&G tail tidy turned up today, so that'll give me something to do on Saturday morning then

8. R&G tail tidy installed. Took 2.5 hours. Not the easiest thing to do, the instructions are clear enough, and they also include small B&W pictures, which are hard to interpret. If you want to use your original indicators (which I did), they have bolts with built in spacers, which do not fit the holes in the tail tidy! Had to remove these and use 4 washers to pack out the bolts instead. All in all, very pleased - miles better than the OEM plate holder

9. Pictures to follow at some stage?
    Nasty reflectors removed this morning and front forks unblemished. Thanks all for the heads up.
    120 mile run yesterday-North Cambs, North Essex and Suffolk- and pit stops at Clavering and Hideout Leathers!
    Bike was superb. Engine became very hot while negotiationing stationary traffic in Newmarket and temp gauge up to 100- and the air temperature was not that warm!

10. Yeah, i'll get some pics up soon. Glad you're liking the bike. I agree about the temp, I got stuck in some city traffic the other day, and I got roasted. I guess sitting almost directly over the top of one of the cylinders doesn't help. Done over 1.5k miles and still can't stop grinning :grin::grin:. Spanish, as you're only up the road from me, we should hook up one day for a meeting of the 1200R's - thats if you want to of course :blush:

11. Great idea to have an R meet. Any thoughts when and where. I am fairly flexible re times and, relatively speaking, a gentleman of leisure!
    First clean of the bike yesterday -curiously satisfyingly!

12. Some pics of the tail tidy.... IMG_0555.jpg IMG_0556.jpg IMG_0559.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. How about a meeting of the 'Rs' over at Duxford Airfield one weekend soon? Actually, why not make a more general 'Ducati Bike Meet' so, open to one & all

How about if I suggest a provisional date of Sunday July 3rd at 12:00 noon.
    Thoughts?

14. Meet on that Sunday is good for me. Know Duxford Airfield but not the 'facilities'.

15. That's the same day as the Brooklands Bike Show, that a few Ducati's are already scheduled to go to by the way. The Brooklands Motorcycle Show, Then and Now - Brooklands Museum I was planning to be there.

16. Thanks for the info MonsterGB. I can't make the Brooklands event, but I'm still on for a Duxford meeting - so I'll be there on the 3rd at noon. I'll be lurking somewhere in the car park. Not sure if you can get access to the 'food/refreshments' unless you pay to go into the Museum - have to wait an see I guess. Be good to see whoever wants to pop along for a chat. :grinning:

17. Likewise Brooklands, though sounds good, is not on for me so will be at Duxford at noon. If we want coffee plenty of local villages with good carparks, pubs and coffee or often stop at Grafham Water with similar facilities

18. I have 1200r in black and it marks in that area
    I have spoke to dealer , but he told me no one has complained
    I have been told that its due to environment issues of spraying lacquer
    I am thinking of sending a complaint to Ducati customer complaints

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thats funny coz mine had exactly the same issue and when i had it serviced at 600 miles my dealer noted it down as marks on the bike before they serviced it, so had a Ducati tank pad fitted which covers it up but yes disappointed with the quality of the finish in that area of the tank .....

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information