1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Ride In A Flying Jacket...

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by CINNABULL, Jan 15, 2017.

1. As per the title. I really like the look of these, especially the better ones, eg Cirrus and Irvin brands. I'm wondering how they hold up, ie are they windproof, are insects easy to remove etc. I'm not to fussed about accident protection, as I dont crash !!. I have a Diavel so more of an upright position, any thoughts guys.

Also, if anyone is selling a good quality one in 42 ish chest let me know,

Cheers

Stuart

• WTF WTF x 2
  2. are you 'top gun style' or more 'biggles'?

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Cant be any harder to clean than any other leather jacket (look at the Scrambler range!)

Not sure how a lid would be with a high think collar tho, even on a Diavel :)

4. No reason not to wear a flying jacket. It's been 40 years since I last wore one which was a genuine ex US Airforce B17 flyer's jacket that I managed to acquire when I worked in San Fransico. Shit in the wet but great in the dry. Took a lot of saddle soap and leather feed to keep it supple and clean. Andy

5. Only as a fun charity ride in a ural sidecar outfit, scarf with a coat hanger so it was at 90 degrees, biggles tash and glasses.

I have also ridden in a t shirt, flip flops and shorts on a varadero for a day out. It comes down to you, assessing the risks and then seeing if you want to do it anyway.

6. The Frog has joined the forum!

7. I've worn my flying jacket in sub zero on a Monster. Very warm, but gloves can be a pain getting modern sports armoured gloves tucked into the arm as there is normally no way to get them over the cuff. Unless you have short gloves.

8. I bought a genuine (there are fakes) Shearling black flying jacket second hand for £80 about 15 years ago. Remarkably, it still fits and looks as good as new, but it weighs a ton.
    It's great for walking the dog on frosty mornings.
    I'd be worried about the zip scratching the tank if I was to consider wearing it on the bike.

[​IMG]

9. ^ looking good there Ron ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. here's a more recent pic...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Worryingly that chin is identical in both pictures :Hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. i wore a original G1 USN flight jacket for years all year round and just had a thick fleece in winter under it the leather is a thick one and never had any trouble with road grime had it about 15 year now and still looks same as day bought it and it was a 70s issue you can get civilian makes which leather is thiner and have a quilt liner inside . if you want one get the original USN issue lot better and heavy leather

13. Deffo a Biggles look I think, I'd probably only wear it

Deffo Biggles, dont want any badges or the like on it. The more I see them the more I want one. Someone must have a decent one they aint using.

Stuart

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ted Simon used an Irvin flying jacket when he travelled the world, he didn't seem to have any trouble with it. I won't part with mine even though it's a bit on the snug side these days, heck of a weight though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 1060_big.jpg look good with these

• Like Like x 1
  16. Are they designed like that so if and when you fart no one can tell?

17. yea, and if ya crap ya self it don't get ya shoes dirty. Good old fashion poo catchers

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Does one fly in a riding jacket then?

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information