1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Flat

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Gary gibb, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Just got bike yesterday battery flat tried pluging in my optimizer its working but battery not charging charger just stays on stand by. Working fine on other batterys . Ordered new battery from dealer for nothing .but why is it not charging was fine yesterday

2. Optimizers and their like won't charge a completely flat battery. There has to be some voltage there (around 9V or so) to get them started. The trick is to connect the Optimizer to the dead battery, then with a pair of jump cables temporarily connect a fully charged battery across it. That should get the Optimizer to kick in and hopefully get the dead battery back to life, but if it is completely flat you might as well buy a new one as it will never recover it's full capacity. I take it the battery was flat when you bought the bike?

3. enough power to just start bike but then flat in morning

4. If the battery was already down, starting the bike possibly took enough charge out of the battery that it wouldn't start next morning. After charging if you get it started check the charging voltage with the engine running. You should be seeing more than 14V, about 14.4 to 14.6. Most Ducati's from the 749/999 and later have a battery voltage feature on the dash, if not use a meter across the battery to measure it.

5. ok mate will check dash

6. With the engine running?

7. Well at least it is charging. I'd be dubious about the battery though.

8. what ealse can it be as in the morning it will be flat again

9. bikes been off road for over 2 years

10. If there is an alarm or tracker they would drain the battery but not overnight. It is most likely the battery. Fully charge it and measure the voltage then disconnect it from the bike and check the voltage again in the morning. If it is less than 12.5V the battery is on it's way out.

11. If the battery has been unused for 2 years it will definitely need replaced.

12. called ducati there sending a new one . plus they lost my second key so there sending me another but then i have to get it coded from ducati dealer the joys

13. Thread moved

14. i was advised today on my (848) bike the batterys have to work pretty hard to start these machines. bare that in mind when short runs, or starting it to show a friend etc [emoji23]

is it one of those fancy lithium super light batterys?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information