1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt Servicing - How Often?

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by rjt_berlin, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Hi,

Looking at a bike that had its belts done two years and 5k miles ago. Does this mean these are due now or is the schedule every three years?

I am no mechanic and would need this doing so if this is needed now i may have to rethink the purchase of the bike

Appreciate any comments

Thanks

2. Service schedule generally calls for two years or a mileage (probably 6k) but you could get away with more, however I would want to check the belts before running longer and on a bike of 'unknown' service history I would change them anyway.

What bike is it? as I would be more inclined to let a 2v go longer between belt changes than a 4v due to the way the belt tensioning pulleys fit...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The service manual is every 2 years - I think it depends on how long the belts have been sat in the same position.

I do mine myself so cost isn't an issue, but the belts are quite tough - the bearings had seized on the tensioners first time I changed the belts on my ST3, the belts looked OK except the back was very shiny. But it would be costly if a belt snapped or came off a pulley so I wouldn't risk going beyond 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I need some new belts for the ST3S I've just bought. I can see you have the belts TB1100 do you have a link for the bearings?

5. Hi M1icy, I haven't done bearing kits for your model yet - I think you need 6 bearings for your model? They should be SKF with a part number stamped on them - the centre 2 are not available from Ducati without buying the pulley wheels as well but are probably the same as the outer bearings.
    If you can let me know what they are I will check availability and get you the bearings at cost, if they don't have a number I just need OD / ID and width and a photo. Remember if you subscribe to the Forum you will get 15% off the belts too :)
    Drop me a PM.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks, I'll take the covers off and take a look tomorrow. From memory there 2 bearings on the adjustable tensioner and one on the fixed.

7. There are two piggy backed on the fixed and two on each of the adjustable ones looking at the part diagram :upyeah:

8. 2 Years or 12,000 miles. My bike (ST3) has had changes at 4000, 12,000, 24,000. I have been told that the belts they use now are superior to the older belts and that they can be trusted to 15,000 - which I believe is the interval for the Multistrada - but of course its your call. If in doubt of course you know what to do... get them changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. And there are even more superior belts available too :Angelic:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Just my tuppencworth - bought ST4 new in 2002 and rode occasionally for 2 years before baby reduced riding opportunities, changed oil and filters and started to use again in 2007 - 2009 for commuting on nice days then school runs again reduced opportunities... 2015 changed oil and filters and started to use towards end of year for commuting on nice days and then in spring 2016 I changed the timing belts (with exact fit ones). The removed belts (kevlar red letters) were used but in good condition and had probably the worst service life possible being sat for years and only turned for ~ 8,000 miles over 14 years. I don't disagree with changing belts every 2 years but don't sweat it, I won't be waiting another 14 years to change mine again.....

There's a lot of nonsense spoken about all things on every machine (tyres being the worst culprits) I can reasonably say this with confidence as my profession is Mechanical and Rotating Equipment engineering for the past 30 odd years. You won't go wrong changing belts every 2 years but if you're not ragging the motor and aren't 'unlucky' this can be comfortably stretched depending on your approach to risk.

I don't ever want to part with my ST4 or stop riding it so I'm not intentionally abusing it to pass on a nail - happy riding

11. A few comments added but I agree with most of what you say :):upyeah:
    Note: Forum Subscribers (only costs £5) get 15% Discount on Exact Fit timing belts (see link below) but check out the £15 Subscriber offer which includes a Halfords trade card which can save more ££££'s

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/exact-fit-timing-belts-forum-subscriber-discount.38123/

12. Indeed, I only stated kevlar as this is what is banded about in mythology, more correctly later / improved material belts. Thanks for the subscriber tip - I should at least be thinking about belts again : )

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information