1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bernie Ecsletone - Visionary, Or Silly Old Duffer ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by JR45, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Bernie is at it again - this time saying that women will never be able to drive F1 cars because they aren't physically up to it... Seems to have created a serious sh*t-storm amonst the chattering classes on the twittersphere.
    But - this was a man who thought that the "knock-out" qualifying was a good idea, so his judgement is obviously great... Not !

So - Bernie : outdated misogynist ? Discuss...

2. He has a history of being one but not the other.

3. Silly old duffer, but he's right on this.

If women were suited to F1 (which I believe is very physically demanding), we'd have seen more by now. Cream will rise to the top, There is no bias against women in F1. Team principals aren't bothered about the gender of their pilots, they just want the best possible results.

However, as per usual, the liberals will be screaming sexist without looing at the facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lets face it, if a woman could make top 10 they would be snaped up straight off, think of the PR and sponsorship opportunities

Dont think ever is a word that can be used, but at least a generation away

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. There has been a big debate about women in motorsport, and why there are so few at the top levels. Michelle Mouton (a legend from my youth, and the only woman to tame the mighty Audi Quatro Groub B rally car ) said that the reason it's hard for women to make it to the top is that it's hard for everyone to make it to the top and proportionally there are far fewer women competeing at any level, so there will be less of them at top levels. Susie Wolff was on the raio this afternoon saying exactly the same thing. The top level of motorsport, particularly F1, requires huge amounts of money to get into and without a proven track record (excuse the pun) it is all but impossible to make into the very highest levels. Having said that - Susie Wolff has driven a Williams F1 car to a race distance during testing and there are women competing in GT and LM sportscar endurance races, so it can be done.
    Bradders / Robarano - the reason that there aren't any women in the "top ten" (actually more like the top twenty two) drivers is not because they are not capable, it's because there is no-one persuing the right path. There need to be far more women in the "feeder series" of motorsport before the good ones can be found. It's not a case of "could", it's a case of them not actually being there in the first place to prove their abilities. I agree that there is not a gender-bias in motorsport - teams will and do hire on ability, not gender - but there are so few women actually getting involved in the sport, in any way, that the ones at the top level are very few.
    My opinion is this - it's unlikely that there will be a woman driving an F1 car whilst people like Bernie are in charge. He clearly views women as no good for anything other than looking nice and staying out of the way of the "mens' work"... The sooner he retires and stops inflicting his own, ridiculous, ideas on the sport - and the world in general, the better. The point of this thread wasn't really about women drivers and if they are capable or not of driving an F1 car - I think there is no reason why one couldn't, given the right oportunity - but Bernie's ridiculously outdated attitudes. I am not "politically correct" or a "bleeding heart liberal" I just think the man is a misogynistic megalomaniac who belongs in the 1950's and who is completelty out of touch with reality. The sooner he gets out of F1 the better...
    And Steve, yes it was a pretty dull drive from Stanley back to Mare harbour, and this was the only thing on the radio worth listening to... Must go now - I've got some interesting things to fix on my OPV(H)... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sounds like another click bait story. so i wont click on it.
    did i mention i was playing with Susi Wolfs steering wheel last week?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Silly old duffer

• Like Like x 1
  8. To answer the original question I agree that Bernie is probably misogynistic and way past his sell by date, however even Toto Wolff made some reference to himself being partially deaf to Susie Wolff in an interview on C4 F1 not that long ago, it was extremely patronising, but at least she stayed professional.

9. So what's with her accent ?

10. Bernie cracks me up with his piss take answers. Interviewers must dread him.

11. what do you mean jv? kind of sounds like here mother. v.posh.

12. yep, he also said hitler was a man who got things done

a haemarroid on the arsehole of f1 (and life in general), cant stand the little goblin

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. That is what I thought. I take it she didn't go to the local comprehensive. Having said that I vaguely recall an Oban secondary school had a very good reputation ?

14. Bernie, a classic example of SMS, he even married an Amazon, but she eventually left and took a billion with her :Wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Quite. Bernie E is a very clever chap who says things for a reason, even though the reasons are not obvious. He often makes statements which are surprising, provocative, counter-intuitive, and controversial. The effect is to elicit responses, stimulate debate, and gain publicity. He also says things which are supportive of or antagonistic towards somebody he is in negotiations with, depending how the negotiations are going.

All the F1 rounds are supported by national governments of the countries concerned these days (except Silverstone, which still struggles on unsupported), so Bernie E continually has confidential dealings with Presidents, Emirs, Prime Ministers, and Governors. If he says something which would be pleasing to e.g. Vladimir Putin, it is a fair assumption that this is designed to ease him past some sticking point in negotiations.

By all means criticise Bernie E for being devious, unscrupulous, and greedy - but "silly"? I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. thats called a gobshite where i come from

there's really no excusing his behaviour, very surprised youve attempted it

• Like Like x 2
  17. argyll and the west coast is full of v.posh/wealthy people. many many wealthy pretendy hippies as well. yip she went to oban high. an exe employee and short lived member on here raced her regularly when she was carting (worked for her old man before he went of the rails) couldn't touch her. he was a very talented (motocross rider) started getting wildcards on the British rounds when he was 15-16.

18. Let's face it Lewis Hamilton is a big tart so we've already got a fanny in F1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Whilst not wanting to defend @Pete1950 , he can do that for himself, sometimes I think you must have read a different post to the one I read.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. I just think when you dismiss someone with such a chequered history of bigotry, misogyny and corruption as a clever man (or not a silly man) you’re inviting people to think you’re understating exactly how much of a horrible twat he is.

I agree I do mis-read things sometimes though. Maybe even in this instance, apoloigies if so Pete.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information