1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Chain Riveter

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by jack999s, Dec 2, 2016.

1. I use the Whale brand tool, got fed up with replacing crap quality cheaper ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. see what you mean @Nelson but the (ntended) item still comes up at the bottom of the listings in a bigger window but this should be clearer :-
    DID Style Motorcycle Heavy Duty Chain Riveter Breaker Splitter Riveting Tool kit | eBay

The 'G' clamp types are easier to use and the sturdy built versions are probably ok. Trying not to be rude here, but any of the chain riveters recommended here could all make a mess of a chain link and render it dangerous in the wrong hands. As my eyesight has deteriorated now, i measure the swaged rivet head after using the tool to confirm it is ok. On a 520/530 type chain - if it has swollen by .4 to .5 mm diameter-wise then it's done. Much more than this and it will start to pinch the 'O' or 'X' rings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It all depends on which chain you use it seems - DID are different apparently.

I have the Bickers catalogue reference number 5914609, which I think is the Powerite one.

Worked perfectly - checked against the DID specification table as Chris seems to have.

4. image.png Just a note on the subject of riveter prices, looks like somebody is being downright greedy here… image.jpeg The expensive version is available from Museum Legends which is part of the National motorcycle Museum.

#24 Chris, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. It really comes down to what type of pins the chain has. The DID ones IIRC are hollow so it's quite easy to flare the ends using the vice/ball bearing type and these can be picked up very cheap. For a solid pin type Renthal, Tsubaki you haven't a hope in hell of doing those correctly with a vice type, you need an impact one I bought the Whale tool one for about £70 not cheap but works perfect :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I wonder if they're only hollow at the end? As per my previous post, when I fitted a couple of DID chains the tool tightened quite easily up to the required amount of spread (0.5mm) but then a dramatic amount of extra effort would have been required to tighten any further. When fitting the 2nd chain I just tightened the tool until it suddenly needed extra effort and then stopped, checked the pin spread and it was perfect. I guess it wouldn't take much to design it so the link spread easily the desired amount if you knew what you were doing.

7. The one I had came with spacers to stop crushing the o-rings.

8. Ended up ordering the whale riveter, already have a couple cheapish splitters that do the job nicely,
    advice all appreciated cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Had my Whale chain tool for more than 30 year's , top quality & easy to use .

10. Em! I've used two hammers one heavy one to use as a anvil and the other lighter one to pein the rivets! This method has been used successfully for 25+ yrs with no failures on countless amounts of bikes!
    As long as the side plate is fitted and not two tight I find it better that the chain tool that I have and never use!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Replaced mine last week. Dremel to remove and ball pin hammer to fit. Always used this method. All though I do keep looking at getting a tool specific for the job.

12. totally right - I put the wrong "link" in. :)

13. Blumin ek Chris, have you been asleep for three years!!! ;)
    Steve

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Got this chain breaker riveter this week along with a 520VX3 chain from MPW. I thought I was getting the Powerite one as advertised but this Hi level turned up. Anyone come across these, or have they chucked a substitute. Not sure why its not branded Powerite. Any comments appreciated.
    16568871719984270920091906327550.jpg

I was thinking you only need a tool to peen the new rivets (old chain can be cut off) anyone used the AFAM easy rivet 5. £20 and I would have though it was decent material.

Cheers Gaz

15. Holy thread resurrection :)

16. Just trying to keep it together.

Cheers Gaz

17. IMO, cheap rip off of the DID KM500R which currently retails around £120/£130. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information