1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Project For Dummies

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by MushHaze, Dec 16, 2016.

1. I bought my k2 off a very good friend of mine who unfortunately did exactly that !! crappy little lights shite exhaust, didn't look after it thought it was cool to stick a load of crap on it. I'm in middle of servicing it and getting it back to somewhere near my standard of bike. I'm going to use it for touring and general use as it's so comfy and easy to ride. Unless I sell it of course :tearsofjoy:

2. IMHO the No1 consideration would be to choose a bike that you have a genuine affection for. If you don't then the very real danger is that after a short time, usually when you got your first major obstacle, you'll give up and it will be one I the dozens of 'unfinished projects' advertised on EBay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Still got the RM? I'd love one of them.

4. I built a 748S with a 748R engine in it. I started off by buying a rolling chassis from a track bike which was complete less headlamp, engine and ECU. I then purchased a 748R engine complete less clutch but with a Power commander. I sold the Power commander and that paid for a spare stock clutch.

All in all the bike when basically finished cost less than £3500. I did add extra bits after that which saw the cost rise steadily by quite a bit but these were all extras and not essentials.

A good project for me but it does require some knowledge of the difference and parts interchangeability of the 748 model family.

But no doubt forum members could help here if contemplating something like that.
    IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0428.JPG

#24 Red998, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Yea still got him, its on the to do list but its a long list! Keeping the others on the rd ensures I have no money...

• Like Like x 1
  6. all,

Thanks for the opinions. Great stuff altogether. Important things I have noted...

1) I will deffo not be buying something I dont have any affection for.
    2) the suggestion of the TRX850 was a great call, forgot about those bikes and I always liked them. Plus I have never owned a Yamaha, only bike I havent had at this stage.
    3) Ditto the shout on the 748, in fact I know a guy with an old 748 and he knows them inside out
    4) Monster would not be a bad shout either.

I am thinking now I am not going to rush out and buy any old wreck, Ill get a few quid together and plan is to have something in the shed for October/November next year. I'll pounce on the right bike when inevitably I come across it between now and then.

I will talk to a few of the local guys here too in the trade and see what they recommend as it would be useful also to have some expertise at hand when I run into the first major problem.

7. I mean when somebody takes a older classic bike with rare unobtainable parts on it and chops it to bits in a poor attempt to do a cheap trendy cafe racer,I feel that's destroying a bike,on the other hand it's his/her choice!
    But if it's made with custom/hand crafted bits then it's an old machine rescued!
    But if any of the above mentioned machines are used and enjoyed then alls good,
    It's only my opinion,each to there own

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information