1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Won't Start - Starter Relay No Click

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Jun 4, 2012.

1. '95 900ss - when I press the starter switch I get nothing. I've had the starter switch apart to check for dirty/corroded contacts etc but all fine. Next, as per Haynes Workshop Manual, I removed the starter relay (or solenoid some call it) and attached the positive and negative terminals to the battery directly. No click was heard. Does this mean that the relay unit is defective? I have an MOT lined up for the weekend and need to sort asap! Thanks for any help

2. What voltage is the battery running at ?
    may not have enough to make it click but enough for the horn and lights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. And JUST to make sure it isnt the starter motor, connect the + side of a car battery to the starter motor post, and the _ve side of the battery to a good earth, if the motor spins over the starter motor is ok and its 99% likely to be the solenoid.

4. New, genuine starter relays aren't expensive from a Ducati dealer, last one I bought (about 4 years ago) for a 900 monster was £23.

5. The solenoid is only a switch and doesn't draw much power to make the connection, so no click = solenoid failure.

Unless of course there is faulty wiring to the solenoid......but he has tested that.

AL.

6. Sorry for being obvious - but you have got the little white two-wired plug in the solenoid?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Many thanks for the replies.

I performed the test using a fully charged bike battery. Relay was removed including all cables except the battery +ve cable which is wired in. The twin cable from the switch was disconnected during the test - Haynes manual doesn't state that this should be connected.

8. It is those two small wires which make the solenoid work.........they 'operate' the switch that temporarily makes the connection between the big battery wire to the starter motor wire........

.......One is 'earth', the other is 'live'.........the live should be a red/black (comes from the starter button)

Connect the earth to the battery negative and touch the red/black across the positive......Any click?

AL.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. As an additional piece of info, this happened to me once or twice previously: I pressed the starter switch and nothing. After a short wait and a few more attempts, it would then start turning over as normal. That's why I initially thought it's a dodgy starter switch. But having stripped that open and inspected/cleaned, I have ruled that out. But then, is it likely that a relay would become unreliable internally or do they normally just stop working and that's that? If I've carried out the above test correctly, then yes it points to a faulty relay. Otherwise, perhaps wiring? The bike has seen NO ACTION since being laid up for winter. It was turning over fine but not starting, so I drained the tank and carbs and replaced the fuel with fresh. And now that I've done that, this electrical problem appears.

10. The solenoid / relay seems to me to be the most likely cause......they can function intermittently as they start to fail........

But then, so can starter motors become sticky.........do what Nog says above to test the starter.......in fact all you have to do is disconnect the two big wires from the solenoid and touch them together....starter should turn the engine over if your battery is good.

AL.

11. OK thanks i'll try that but am confused.com as Haynes doesn't say anything about that..and I thought that was the 'bible'..

12. Haynes in my opinion, is cr*p.........never been any use to me whatsoever......in fact, I have a Haynes for the SS and Monsters, and there are so many errors and omissions in there, I wonder how people manage to get anything right.

I still can't find the reference for the correct replacement Electrex solenoid, but I found this pic.......I believe the one on the left fits a Yamaha.

AL.

Solenoid.jpg

#13 Ghost Rider, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  13. CK_UK

I have a fully functioning second hand solenoid for a 750/900ss you can have for a fiver+p&p. PM me if you are interested.

#14 CRYSTALJOHN, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  14. Had exactly same problem with my 900ss last week, e.g. running night before, lights, battery charge Ok but marginal e.g. 12.3 volts and nothing when pressed starter. Thought it must be relay or starter motor jamming, so as a long shot I put it in gear and rocked it forward to try to temporarily un-jam the starter. Noticed that as I did this that the piston seemed to have been right at the top of the compression stroke. Pressed the starter and it fired first time as usual.

Had no problems since I fully charged the battery. Convinced it was just because battery didn't have enough 'kick' and engine just happened to stop at the point where the most energy was required to get it to turn. Give it a go - it costs nothing!

15. Tried the test as suggested Al, touched the two big leads from the relay/solenoid and the starter kicked into life. Therefore, safe to say that's the problem! This is quite exciting stuff, now I understand what's going on. Many thanks for your help!

16. Buy Crystaljohn's spare one....'cos if you don't I will...

AL

17. plus one - they're at least a tenner on E-bay and above is from someone you can trust!

18. I've already PM'd!

Thanks again chaps

19. Mine actually stuck and wouldn't stop turning the bike over! Bit alarming as turning the key or hitting the kill switch won't stop it!
    I bodged in BL mini one, works a treat - new from ebay £8.00....:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information