1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bikes You Should Have Bought

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Wassy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Well if we are on to cars, I was offered a near mint mk1 Mexico for 5k not that many years ago. Thought 'mate' was taking the piss. Oops.

On the flip side, if I started coming home with bikes and cars I didn't intend to run, can't imagine having a home to come home to for long... ;)

2. Came very close to buying a blue 900ssd from a Lincoln Ducati dealer about ten years ago ,it was up for sale for £2495 as far as I can remember, didnt get it because I already had a Morini 350 sport and a Honda vfr800 and the missus wouldn't have understood or tolerated another bike in the garage (why do you need more than one bike bla bla bla !!!)...since split with her and wish I had gone for it ,they go for around £10k now :Banghead:

3. 0W01, mate offered me it a few years ago, it had 6klm/s on the clock, no cash at the time.
    Still regret not buying it.

4. For me there is really only one time I could have bought a bike and didn't, it was a brand new RGV250 SP (VJ23 with the 70 degree V) and it was lovely, even in the weird purple paint scheme. My mate has one and they are silly rare, I know there is one or two on here.

I wish I had bought it, even better than the RS250 I had years later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. What modern bikes I wonder will fit into these categories? Nothing at all I can think of in the last couple of years (as most mentioned are regular bikes not 70k exotica)

6. Was offered a 996sps ( I think a 996 ) for 6k read up on rocker probs and talked myself out of it. Doh. Bought a 1098 instead and fucked it up the road.

7. Always regret selling my honda sp1 , ohlins r&t forks and shock etc. it was sublime, I could touch my knee down anywhere.

8. Nice bikes them sp1's !!

9. Have looked at SP1/2 a few times...one of the few bikes that sound as good (possibly better) than a Ducati at full chat with Akros :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Bought this one for £3750 back in December 2012 and thought I'd done well when I got £5k for it but maybe should have kept it.
    You see them advertised for top money but it's only the low mileage mint bikes that seem to sell. The ones that have been used with little cracks in the plastic and minor corrosion hang around for ages. IMG_0544.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  11. Going back a while I sold my 650 bony engined Triton for the grand sum of £75 a bsa 350 gold star for £150 then I went on to cars of which I had a nice Lotus Elan that sold for £800 Lotus.jpg

I had a Mk 1 Lotus cortina that a mate wanted to do a straight swap for a E type Jaguar, the jag had a dent in the roof so I told him to keep it, I eventually did a part exchange for a 3.0 Capri which just lost money. I wish I had kept my Sierra Cosworth with 350 BHP and fully sorted suspension that I sold for £3,500.
    Thank for this thread it has brought back some fond memories.
    Steve

12. I checked out an early 70s Porsche 911S import, in superb original condition, just brought in to UK from Germany asking 18k for it... quite a long time ago now. But was moving to Spain for work, so decided Madrid was not a good place to keep a classic car in good nick (every car in madrid seems to have dents in the body work), and I was living in the centre of the city in Bario Salamanca in a flat. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing!

And wish I'd bought that 996SPS going for about 12k with low mileage (about the time I bought my current 996, about 3 years ago). I was skimping as cash was tight at the time, but could have stretched...

Also got tempted a few years back by a 996R going for 15K also with low miles... but I was still in my 'angry at Ducati' phase, having not forgiven them for selling me a Friday bike (my 998S which I sold out of frustration at the height of an emotional venting with the dealer). Wish I'd kept that too!

But every time I ride the 996 I have a big grin on my face, so I guess all is forgiven and forgotten now :)

13. Don't believe everything you read...12k is still a lot for an SPS today IMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maybe, but it was very low mileage and in perfect condition...

15. Ex wife,Taxman and Vatman to name a few! By the way Volvo went at full money - gave £150 in p/x for it.Took me 40 years to work out you can sell a £1000 car for £2000 but a £10,000 car makes you £1500/2000 and they never stop coming back moaning

16. Maico 490 swapped for a rm 250 big mistake!
    But I have kept my rgv250 gt550 triple Ducati 851 and my 900ss and maico rt 440 magnum!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maico 490! Now there was a proper weapon! Find memories of me showing "how to tame the beast" and being dragged across a field screaming like a baby! What a proper tool of a motorcycle

18. Have you seen how much an 86 D plate 3dr Cossie is nowadays? Crazy money

19. One of the best handling open class bikes I've ever had the pleasure of owning,all the talk of exploding engines urged me to swap it,I've never quite recovered,the 440 was a attempt to get some of that animal power back,but it's just not the same, I could be a wheelie King when really I was just trying to stay alive! I loved it! Long time ago! Bit like your first shag,you always wonder was it as good as you thought it was?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Wonder which was the quicker?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information